1. Now Available on Amazon:                            

> Click here for more Amazon stores

Dismiss Notice

If You Were to Meet Lovecraft, Howard and Ashton Smith Would You Get Along with Them ?

Discussion in 'H P Lovecraft' started by BAYLOR, Jul 19, 2015.

Edward Druitt

Edward Druitt New Member

Personally I only know about Lovecraft. I think I know I would get along extremely well with him. I say this because the whole reason I got into Lovecraft because when I first started to actually read about his life the more and more I saw things in common: our worldview (cosmicism) is essentially the same, both atheist, both had severe depression issues resulting in reclusive behaviour, both devoured books when younger, strongly overbearing mothers, both with a love for fantasy and horror, both a strong love of science and astronomy especially for me. There's more but frankly I've never related with a human that much.

Honestly if I met him I would probably lose whatever wit and thought I had due to being in the presence of someone I idolized. But, barring that, I would love to discuss the source of his thoughts and creations. I imagine it comes from a somewhat dark and angry place. But there is a definitely a philosophy that brings it out. I would want to know that. I'd also love to discuss astronomy and science with him.

I recently read a passage regarding his death. He was in hospital, dying, and he knew that he was dying. He loved his work so much and put it before everything yet, while he said he would have written regardless of fame, I imagine he would have wished that he garnered a little more respect and admiration for his great contributions. I don't think he would believe me if I told him what a... ahem, cult following he has now.

I would like to think that Lovecraft would see similarities in me that I saw in him and that he would basically take me as an apprentice. Teach me the trade of writing. I know he helped fellow writers develop themselves. What more could a Lovecraftian want, right?

BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

I think Lovecraft, Howard and Ashton Smith would have been amazed at the fact that so many today still read and love their stories.(y)

Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

There is quite a big selection of Howard's poetry available from Lulu: http://www.lulu.com/shop/frank-coff...elected-poems/paperback/product-15910011.html (paperback) or http://www.lulu.com/shop/frank-coff...elected-poems/hardcover/product-20586829.html (hardcover). The big Collected Poetry of Robert E. Howard from the Roert E. Howard Foundation is currently out of print, but will most likely be reprinted eventually, with "new" poems added.

Ruina

Ruina New Member

Are you talking about Lovecraft? Wow, I know he was quite a goofball, but that was unexpected.

j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

Eeee-yup; Grandpa Theobald himself. It is, if memory serves, in the volume Letters to Alfred Galpin....

Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

I spoke to Rusty Burke at NecronomiCon, and he mentioned that The Collcted Poetry will most likely be reprinted as a two-volume trade paperback set. They just need to go through the poetry that was found in Glenn lord's collection, but it may take a while.

w h pugmire esq

w h pugmire esq Well-Known Member

I linger within ye shadows of Sesqua Valley, dream
    It is not my nature to be social, and so the idea of "getting along" with writers I admire is alien to me. Moft of ye writers I have known I know only through correspondence, with the delightful exception of my soul-bro S. T. Joshi. I enjoy meeting writers at conventions, but it's always so wonderful to get back home and be alone.

My favourite way of getting to know writers is through their books. Happily, we have no end of Lovecraft books recently publish'd and forthcoming; & Night Shade Books has announc'd that they will soon begin to publish their Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith in trade pb editions.

logan_run

logan_run Well-Known Member

As much as i like their work i would not wanna know any of them .

w h pugmire esq

w h pugmire esq Well-Known Member

I linger within ye shadows of Sesqua Valley, dream
    I think I'd much rather hang out with Oscar Wilde.....

BAYLOR likes this.
    BAYLOR

He would be interesting man to talk to :)

lynnfredricks

lynnfredricks Well-Known Member

I think it would be as strange for a real, extended face-to-face between REH and HPL as meeting with any of us "Visitors Out of Time". Drinks wouldn't really work so well to break the ice, so I guess it would all come down to the flavor of ice cream.

BAYLOR

Books I would show to Robert E Howard. The Kane novels By Karl Edward Wagner, The Games of Thrones books by George R Martin , The Black Company novels by Glen Cook, Terry Pratchett's Disco World novel Michel Moorcock's Eternal Champion books, Tolkien, LOTR, Stephen R Donaldson , Harlan Ellison The essential Ellison , Jack Vance Tales from The Dying Earth , Dan Simmons Hyperion novel stories Holdstock Mythago Woods novels. :)

I can think of many others.:)

Extollager

Extollager Well-Known Member

BAYLOR

Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

Howard had a car (although I'm not sure when he got it; he certainly didn't have one when Lovecraft visited New Orleans in 1932). I'm sure that Lovecraft didn't drive, and according to W. Paul Cook that was just as well since HPL loved high speeds. Not sure about CAS, but I don't think he drove (he didn't own a car anyway).

Extollager likes this.
    John Thiel III

John Thiel III I'm sitting with a south shoe.

I don't think I'd feel ill at ease in the company of all three of these writers at once. I would want to discuss their works, and in what ways these works relate to earthly realities. (Here Lovecraft explodes, as I visualize it: "NOT AT ALL! They heed alien geometries, are not enslaved to Earth's dream-transient sphere!" But this leads to discussion: "You do not seem to recommend that your readers depart from this Earthly sphere, any further than to read your poems." And the answer to that I cannot anticipate, so it would be a discussion, and one I'd like to have.) I think I would ask Howard if he could fight in a way that could be considered a match to what his characters can do. Klar Kashton I would ask what he had in mind when he decided to devote his abilities so much to the writing of fantasy--what was the call that brought him to this pursuit? I would be most vociferous in discussing what I have seen in present-day discussions of them. They would think of me as a most engaging conversationalist, and would all three of them want to know whether I had ever tried my hand at writing. (I visualize them making such comments as "That is, the flayed hand", and "...or claw, if you write in our mode".) Lovecraft would probably be surprised that our present world was still here, but I'd tell him "according to news reports, that's not very secure". He'd just look at me with a tight half-smile. Howard would object to our present world, I think, as being "over-civilized". I doubt if he would like the technological revolution, but that would probably make Smith stand up. "The latest wonder to occur amidst mankind, a dream!" And I would point out to him that Arthur Clarke had said that a sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Lovecraft, of course, would see this as overshadowing our grounded culture, would regard the computer as a being, a presence. They'd like their impact upon the genres, I suspect. These have all been very interesting conversational possibilities to me, and I think the three men would not wish me to cut it off so early, but without their urge to continue with what I'm saying, and the interchange of their reactions, I think I have given a complete answer to this question, and I regret the opportunity not being an actuality.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    BAYLOR likes this.