What else do people out in SFF-land enjoy watching

WaylanderToo

Just curious as per thread title.... I'll start off with what I don't like (indeed you could say loathe) 'reality' TV and soaps.

On to the likes though...

Banshee - just love this. It's ridiculous & OTT but realises that and runs with it
Warehouse 13 - got to get round to watching the last couple of seasons, especially now that it is no more (ditto Eureka & Chuck)
Sons of Anarchy - waaaaaaaaay behind with this (starting S4)
GoT
Grimm/Supernatural/AoS/Arrow/Flash - all good fun

I don't watch too much TV. The Walking Dead's ended its latest run [on terrestrial TV], although I imagine Homeland will start again soon.

Used to watch Top Gear. Enjoyed Eureka when it was recently shown on Pick [UK free channel].

I get the box sets of Game of Thrones, which are always released too damned late after the initial showing on TV.

Currently recording Wayward Pines, The Americans, True Detective, Ray Donovan. When/if they return, I'll be watching GOT, The Walking Dead, Homeland, The Apprentice. I also thoroughly enjoyed a series called Game of Arms, about the world of arm wrestling -- it provided an interesting take on the life of "average" American men.

I liked The Apprentice but after a few series it became a bit too similar/familiar.

And I doubt anyone will beat the 'good Jewish boy' asked to get a kosher chicken getting a halal one.

Oh, and I sometimes watch historical stuff on BBC4.

Kosher chicken is my favourite ever episode! It probably is a bit repetitive, and the contestants are becoming less memorable, so it may not last much longer. And the more I see, the more I despise Sralan.

You mean series that aren't SFF?

Hmm... well, when the season is on, I watch:
  • ELEMENTARY (have come to prefer it over SHERLOCK)
  • THE BLACKLIST
  • MADAM SECRETARY
  • PERSON OF INTEREST (It's got an AI but I see it more as a Crime drama hybrid)
  • OUTLANDER (there's an element of time travel but otherwise it's full-on fictional historical drama)
Oh, and anything Nigella Lawson and Nigel Slater. What can I say? I am picky about my food programmes.

Otherwise, much of what I watch is SFF stuff (yes, including comic book stuff). This year my line-up is/was:
  • DAREDEVIL
  • PENNY DREADFUL
  • WAYWARD PINES
  • THE FLASH
  • AGENT CARTER
  • CONSTANTINE
  • KILLJOYS
  • FOREVER (RIP - stupid ABC pulled the plug on it!)

Current or returning non-SFF I watch: Banshee, The Big Bang Theory, Black Sails, The Brink, The Daily Show, Hell on Wheels, Last Week Tonight, Madam Secretary, Mike and Molly, Sherlock, Strike Back and Vikings. SFF: Agent Carter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Da Vinci’s Demons, Dark Matter, Doctor Who, Extant, Falling Skies, Game of Thrones, Humans, iZombie, Killjoys, The Last Man on Earth, The Last Ship, The Librarians, Man Seeking Woman, The 100, Outlander, Person of Interest, The Walking Dead and The Whispers.

I have little interest in soaps, game shows or "reality" programs.

Not even in cookery shows?
OK, every now and then, I watch bits and pieces of The Chew, but not intentionally. It just happens to be on when I turn on the satellite box, and I don't switch the channel.

Sometimes, I actually learn things. I am not allowed to practice what I think I have mastered, however, as my wife has forbidden me to cook ever since The Meatloaf Incident.

OK, every now and then, I watch bits and pieces of The Chew, but not intentionally. It just happens to be on when I turn on the satellite box, and I don't switch the channel.

Sometimes, I actually learn things. I am not allowed to practice what I think I have mastered, however, as my wife has forbidden me to cook ever since The Meatloaf Incident.

What is this "Meatloaf Incident" of which you speak?

I do love cooking and baking and feeding people good food so that's why I like Nigella's shows and Nigel's shows. I do like Jamie Oliver too but Nigel's my favourite.

And none of them are fancy pants cooks (well, Jamie and Nigel are trained chefs but their recipes and shows are very accessible for the home cook).

The "meatloaf incident"? Did you misunderstand and pop one of Mr Loaf's opuses (opi?) into the cooker? ;)

What is this "Meatloaf Incident" of which you speak?

The "meatloaf incident"? Did you misunderstand and pop one of Mr Loaf's opuses (opi?) into the cooker? ;)
The Meatloaf Incident, surprisingly, had nothing to do with the musician.

A decade or two ago, my daughters had requested that I make a meatloaf "with potatoes." The rationale behind this request remains forever shrouded in mystery.

I'll do anything for love. Like a bat out of hell, I obliged. Although I had no recipe or proportions, I proceeded to substitute raw, shredded potatoes for the bread crumbs I would normally have used.

I should have realized that something wasn't quite right with this methodology, as the ground meat and potatoes showed a real adversity for each other as I attempted to mix them together. The final product was not exactly paradise by the dashboard light.

I tried a piece, pronounced it strange but edible, and put the loaf in the fridge for the upcoming weekend. That was an excellent plan until my then girlfriend arrived at my house that Friday night while I was still at work.

Being hungry, she scouted for food possibilities and spotted my new creation, which I had not thought to mark with a warning label. Being a fan of cold meatloaf sandwiches, she fixed herself one. She was totally unprepared for what her taste buds discovered. Her description of her reaction included much standing over the sink and spitting.

My defense was "my daughters made me do it," but that testimony was thrown out of cooking court. My sentence was to never, ever, under any circumstances, prepare dishes which might be eaten by anyone other than myself.

Despite this harsh judgment, I did serve the meatloaf to my daughters that weekend. Perhaps they were simply being polite (there's a first time for everything), but they dutifully completed their meals without comment.

For crying out loud, two of of three ain't bad.

I don't watch much sf actually. In fact, I watch very little tv. Anyway, I like cookery shows and am enjoying Celebrity Masterchef which has been surprisingly funny this time and am looking forward to The Great British Bakeoff. (I know, I'm so sad...) i, too, adore Nigel Slater.

I also like Googlebox a lot, it makes me giggle, Pointless (surprising how often using the Northern Irish answer gets a win), and used to love House when it was on.

In the non SFF : White Collar. ... or perhaps that should read White Collar re-runs. :( Copper, Ripper Street.
I binge watch between edits!
Person of Interest, Agent Carter, Dare Devil, Warehouse 13, Super Natural, Eureka, Falling Skies, Killjoys, The Flash, Fringe, Dr Who, Constantine...

And pretty much anything else that strikes as interesting until the "nope that's not" filter kicks in :D

You mean series that aren't SFF?

Hmm... well, when the season is on, I watch:
  • ELEMENTARY (have come to prefer it over SHERLOCK)
  • THE BLACKLIST
  • MADAM SECRETARY
  • PERSON OF INTEREST (It's got an AI but I see it more as a Crime drama hybrid)
  • OUTLANDER (there's an element of time travel but otherwise it's full-on fictional historical drama)
Oh, and anything Nigella Lawson and Nigel Slater. What can I say? I am picky about my food programmes.

Otherwise, much of what I watch is SFF stuff (yes, including comic book stuff). This year my line-up is/was:
  • DAREDEVIL
  • PENNY DREADFUL
  • WAYWARD PINES
  • THE FLASH
  • AGENT CARTER
  • CONSTANTINE
  • KILLJOYS
  • FOREVER (RIP - stupid ABC pulled the plug on it!)

can't disagree with Elementary - that really is a "must watch". Got all of S2 Blacklist to watch but Mrs W is not overly keen :( PoI was great but then the powers that be started messing around with the schedule so that died a death too. Just remembered that I've got about 4 seasons of Burn Notice to enjoy still :D

SFF shows
  • Person of Interest - Long-standing nut. I disagree with The Bluestocking slightly (btw, our non-SFF shows overlap to an amazing degree): it started as cop show with an AI twist but has morphed into two AIs fighting for control of the world with wildly disproportionate teams of humans-in-the-know fighting on each side.
  • iZombie - Short-standing nut. A medical student gets a job at the morgue for her meals after being turned into a zombie. She now fights crime as a hobby. Like Buffy the Vampire Slayer it's way better than it sounds. Also like BTVS, it has a fantastic lead and it's simultaneously funny and dramatically effective.
  • Shield - An hour-long MCU commercial. ;) Other than iZombie, which I didn't even realize was a comic book show at first, Shield is the sole survivor of my intended comic book show purge as I was watching too much TV and got tired of Gotham, Flash, and Grimm's shaky quality. (Grimm's not a comic book show but feels like one.)
Non-SFF shows
  • The Blacklist - James Spader plays one of the world's biggest criminals who works with the FBI as an informant (who's using whom?) and has a proprietary interest in Agent Elizabeth Keene.
  • Elementary - Translates a still-English Sherlock Holmes into 21st century New York and turns Watson into Lucy Liu. Like iZombie, it's a lot better than it sounds.
  • Madam Secretary - A show with a stupid name about a very very fictional US Secretary of State. Like iZombie and Elementary, it's a lot better than it sounds. It's often about diplomacy and has spy-thriller elements. (I'm surprised at how many here are watching it because its ratings aren't great.)
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine - a cop sit-com that comes very close to being too annoying but is remarkably tame for this era and is thus actually funny. I just sort of stumbled into watching this but it seems to be a regular thing now. I like Diaz and the Captain.
Somewhat as others who have said, I hate all other television except PBS stuff (which I watch little of but enjoy when I do) and (NFL) football (which I watch a lot of). And, not having a DVR, I'm very grateful for the internet as I stream a lot of Thursday and Sunday shows which conflict with football and iZombie which conflicts with Shield (though I may flip those next season and stream Shield while I watch iZombie).

Hah. I just realized even my non-SF shows are SF: their initials are BEM.

The Meatloaf Incident, surprisingly, had nothing to do with the musician.

A decade or two ago, my daughters had requested that I make a meatloaf "with potatoes." The rationale behind this request remains forever shrouded in mystery.

I'll do anything for love. Like a bat out of hell, I obliged. Although I had no recipe or proportions, I proceeded to substitute raw, shredded potatoes for the bread crumbs I would normally have used.

I should have realized that something wasn't quite right with this methodology, as the ground meat and potatoes showed a real adversity for each other as I attempted to mix them together. The final product was not exactly paradise by the dashboard light.

I tried a piece, pronounced it strange but edible, and put the loaf in the fridge for the upcoming weekend. That was an excellent plan until my then girlfriend arrived at my house that Friday night while I was still at work.

Being hungry, she scouted for food possibilities and spotted my new creation, which I had not thought to mark with a warning label. Being a fan of cold meatloaf sandwiches, she fixed herself one. She was totally unprepared for what her taste buds discovered. Her description of her reaction included much standing over the sink and spitting.

My defense was "my daughters made me do it," but that testimony was thrown out of cooking court. My sentence was to never, ever, under any circumstances, prepare dishes which might be eaten by anyone other than myself.

Despite this harsh judgment, I did serve the meatloaf to my daughters that weekend. Perhaps they were simply being polite (there's a first time for everything), but they dutifully completed their meals without comment.

For crying out loud, two of of three ain't bad.

Can you at least make a decent Spaghetti Bolognaise? My dad can't really cook but when mum was not around, he'd whip up Spaghetti Bolognaise and everyone's fed and happy.

It was that or getting 3 kids out of the house and into the car to go out for dinner.

Dad wisely chose to feed us at home instead of attempting to handle 1 bookworm (moi), 1 borderline ADD kid (my sister), and 1 picky eater (my brother)... all of whom would end up in numerous fights in the car and so on.

Last edited:
Can you at least make a decent Spaghetti Bolognaise? My dad can't really cook but when mum was not around, he'd whip up Spaghetti Bolognaise and everyone's fed and happy.
Spaghetti with bologna? Sure, I could manage that.

Seriously, I had to look it up. I guess that answers the question.

Liked the little anecdote.

'Have I Got News For You' and 'Top Gear' were the only two things I bothered with for years. Now there is no 'Top Gear' - a situation that will not be improved by an over-paid ginger radio bore. 'HIGNFY' is also currently out as, even though it is a current affairs quiz with a penchant for deflating the enormous swelled heads of politicians, the BBC think it best to only kick them for ten or so weeks out of every 52.

Beyond that, the odd history documentary or edition of 'Horizon'.

Beware of the rest of the stuff on that box - they don't call them 'programmes' for nothing.

I don't have sky, so most TV is just background noise for something else i'm doing.

I do like DVD box sets and am quite into American Comedies at the moment.

Brooklyn 99
Parks And Recreation (i'm on the last series now and i'm really going to miss this).
VEEP
The Office; An American Workplace.
I also just watched something called Outsourced, which i found quite amusing.

Back