Is blogging cliche?

Twistedlemon

The American
I feel as if I'm a tourist at Disney. But instead of hitting the iconic crowded rides I'm taking up blogging. I have nineteen followers, (and no none of them are related to me) so I think I'm doing ok. Does anyone have any advice or experience turning a blog into loyal readers?

I'll do that. My posts have been whenever I had a random idea pop into my head, yours is much better.

Write your random ideas locally, when ever you like.
Only copy & paste to web on the schedule. Don't actually write online. That way you have a backup.

Imagine you are writing for a Weekly paper with a deadline.

I really like that idea, I'm going to try and do it every day around 2 pm. Thank you so much for helping.

I get triple figure hits on my blog and, whilst not many followers, it has regular readers. I don't post on the same day each week but am regular.

1. Guest blogging - offering and accepting. Big way to build visibility.
2. Linking it to visible platforms - we have a blog thread to stick updates onto, sffworld have one, so do Absolute write. I also attach mine to facebook posts and twitter and use hashtags eg #amwriting if relevant.
3. Keep it short. People read them like magazine articles - quick and easy, not too heavy.
4. For me, being chatty works. I use a very informal voice for them
5. Respond to comments in good time

Enjoy it!

Sounds fun! Just message me the link, it was your idea so I'll scratch your back first.

. Respond to comments in good time
Comments are a HUGE amount of work.
You need to pre-moderate them.
Also the most common method of site / admin hijack by carefully crafted posts.
Also can be source of spam.

Enabling Blog comments is entirely optional and if your content is good makes no difference.

Comments are a HUGE amount of work.
You need to pre-moderate them.
Also the most common method of site / admin hijack by carefully crafted posts.
Also can be source of spam.

Enabling Blog comments is entirely optional and if your content is good makes no difference.
So far I don't have enough traffic to merit trrolling - should that change I will adjust setttings

It's not trolling that concerns me, it's certain blog types that attract it, but risk of hijack mainly (or spam). They can silently hijack.

This is what the hacker does
  1. Post cleverly crafted comment with javascript and/or SQL
  2. That gets them Admin access (or allows upload of script directly)
  3. Remove or edit the exploitive comment
  4. Upload their own scripts to your hosting / blog server
  5. Now they have a new bot to host malware or sending spam or both.
  6. Your blogging goes on as normal, you don't know you are compromised.
They can't do this if all comments are premoderated as the preview in the Moderation Queue is plain text and you see the exploit script.
I get spam (via email*) using such infected hosting where the malware is on the normal blog server URL but at a virtual page** the Blogger doesn't know exists.

I subscribe to various security alerts so get warning of non-zero day exploits.

(* I have about 30 email accounts and some are over 17 years old)

(** I NEVER click on unsolicitated links in email. I hover mouse to see what the REAL URL is, as often it's different to what is written, i.e. www . pay pal . com can really be innocent . blogger . com / hijack page)

Last edited: