Beautiful Intelligence

Stephen Palmer

author of books
Supporter
Today is publication day...

AI or BI? Artificial intelligence or beautiful intelligence?

The race to create a sentient machine is headed by two teams, led by former researchers at Ichikawa Laboratories, who escape the regime there – and each other – to pursue their own dreams in the world beyond Japan.

Leonora Klee is creating a single android with a quantum computer brain, whose processing power has never before been achieved.

Manfred Klee is creating a group of individuals, none of them self-aware, in the hope that they will raise themselves to consciousness.

But with a Japanese chase team close on their heels, will either be successful before they are trapped and caught?

Beautiful Intelligence is a fast-paced, philosophical thriller that confronts questions of how we will create artificial sentience, and whether it will be beautiful.

BIcoverart_zpsb1rhoc3o.jpg

Here is the UK link to buy the novel:

... and here the US one.

The Kindle edition price has been set low for a short while.

Stephen, I have bought for the kindle. Happy Publication Day (its also Canada Day here) :)

I prefer Simulated Intelligence.

I find the connection between so called AI and science fiction to be quite interesting. This goes beyond Asimov and his 3 Laws of Robotics. This connects to Heinlein and General Semantics and A.E. van Vogt and The Worlds of Null-A.

Our computers are mostly von Neumann machines. They manipulate symbols in the form of bit combinations at very high speeds. So if a machine can be stupid fast enough it can appear to be intelligent. Hence Simulated Intelligence. But how can you tell when a machine UNDERSTANDS the Symbols and real intelligence by artificial means is accomplished?

I have found it really curious in my years in the computer industry how rarely one encounters a good explanation of how a von Neumann architecture works.

And then there are thousands of crappy Computer Science books.

But it will be so funny if we create an AI and it doesn't want a humanoid body. LOL

psik

Last edited:
Stephen, he still gave it 3 stars at least! I read it, loved it and it didn't feel trope-y to me but hey, each to their own.