DISCUSSION -- July 2015 300-word Writing Challenge (#18)

Thank you all! :D

I'm absolutely ecstatic to have won my first challenge, made even better because it happened during the month of my two year anniversary here on Chrons. There's a lesson in perseverance ;)

I'm pleased that so many of you liked Charlie and gave him your vote (I've been back and "liked" all mentions and votes I think), so thank you all again. Thanks also to TJ, Phyrebrat and many others for writing tremendous stories that made this a terribly exciting and slightly traumatic race ;)

As usual with these 300s I was trying something different. I wanted to focus on characters and make them whole if possible, this time. Someone mentioned the tv series Heroes and the x-men as possible influences, which the latter is probably the case, since I haven't seen Heroes. However, I wanted less focus on the powers and more on the people. Anyways, it was what it was and I'm over the moon! :)

I loved doing reviews this month again, you all gave me so much to sink my teeth into. Apologies to any of you that I might not've managed to grasp the essence of, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading such a huge array of imaginative stories.

Cheers!, Remedy. Nice work.

As for my "Lost in the Brambles", the metal reminded me of a work of modern art, much of which has always confused me. That's what I was shooting for with the narrator. Something skirting the edge of almost making sense and open to interpretation. The last line, in addition to art being something viewed, also was in reference to the people in the background who didn't seem to be looking at the picture-taker. The piece was much unlike anything else I've written, and I'm pretty fond of it.

Thank you Mad Alice for the honourable mention, and double congrats to Remedy for the win and first win.

Was on holiday and missed the vote. Thanks Denise for the vote and congrats Remedy.

Thanks again folks!

I recently received my prize. I chose The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Thank you, @Brian Turner :D Much appreciated.

I read this book fairly recently when someone lent it to me and I knew I'd love a copy of my own (since I'd bought the sequel). Now it will hold a very special place on my bookshelf and likely receive numerous re-reads! :)