Anthology Sci Fi Books - What are your favorite stories?

Classic_SF

In your anthology Sci Fi book collection... What are your all time favorite stories?

I need some good recomendations so I can cherry pick my anthology collection.
:D

Right off the top of my head, I think of Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore's Vintage Season from The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, vol. 2A (1973), as well as Fritz Leiber's Coming Attraction and Algis Budry's Wall of Crystal, Eye of Night, both from Galaxy: Thirty Years of Innovative Science Fiction (1980).

SF Hall of Fame, vol. 2
Read 'em all: "Universe" by Robert Heinlein; "Vintage Season" Kuttner & Moore; "The Ballad of Lost C'mell" by Cordwainer Smith; "With Folded Hands" by Jack Williamson, "...And Then There Were None" by Eric Frank Russell; "Who Goes There?" by Campbell; ...

SF Hall of Fame, vol. 1
If you were cherry picking, I'd at least re/read, "Microcosmic God" by Sturgeon; "Nightfall" by Asimov; "Mimsy were the Borogroves" by Kuttner and Moore; "The Little Black Bag" by Cyril Kornbluth; "Surface Tension" by James Blish; "Fondly Fahrenheit" by Alfred Bester.

Well. That's a start.

Randy M.

Two volume anthology Galactic Empires edited by Brian Aldiss a number of stories
1. All The Way Back by Michael Shaara one the best science fiction short stories I've ever red, I wish he had done a follow up to it.
2. The Star Plunderers and Lord of A Thousand Suns both by Poul Anderson
3. The Crime and the Glory of Commader Suzdal by Cordwainer Smith.:)

Dangerous Visions edited by Harlan Ellison (y)

Classic_SF, would you like to give us a little more about which anthologies you have on hand? Then we could better respond to your request.

I have a bunch of Groff Conklin's anthologies, and commented, with ratings, on almost 60 of the stories over two years' reading around in these books:

https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/539121/

Some other folks also commented, but it would have been pleasant to see more from readers other than myself.

There's also a thread on anthologies not edited by Conklin, published prior to 1975, which (as with the Conklins) should appeal to you if classic sf is your preference:

https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/549787/

How about visiting these threads and then activating them with some discussion of your own findings?

A really outstanding anthology is "Adventures In Time And Space" edited by Raymond J Healy & Francis McComas.
Published I think in 1946, re-issued in 1975 by Ballantine Books, nearly a 1000 pages.
These are all 30s & 40s stories there are some really great ones.
"Requiem", "By His Bootstraps" & "The Roads Must Roll" by Robert A Heinlein.
"The Proud Robot" & "Time Locker" By Lewis Padgett (Henry Kuttner & C.L.Moore) both personal favourites.
"Nerves" by Lester Del Rey.
"Black Destroyer" & "The Weapon Shop" by A.E.Van Vogt.
"Adam And No Eve" by Alfred Bester.
"Q.U.R" by Anthony Boucher.
"Farewell To The Master" by Harry Bates.
"Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov.
To name but a few!!!

"The Penguin Science Fiction Omnibus" ed by Brian W Aldiss.
Original published in 3 volumes, there's some really good stuff in this one, some my all time favorites!
Such as "I Made You" by Walter M Miller Jr (robot tank Vs astronaut on the Moon (guess who wins!)) , "The Liberation Of Earth" & "Eastward Ho!" by William Tenn.
"The End Of Summer" by Algis Budrys, "The Country Of The Kind" by Damon Knight.
"The Store Of The Worlds" by Robert Sheckley and a really strange one "Build Up Logically" by Howard Schoenfeld to name but a few.

Last edited:
The Aldiss is such a good collection, Bob. I love Theodore Cogswell's "The Wall Around The World", and the Sheckley and Tenn stories too.