Fire Me Up

Alternative Worlds

Fire Me Up
Katie MacAlister
Signet, May 2005, $6.99, 368 pp.
ISBN: 0451214943

Not to long ago, Aisling Grey was just a courier making her first delivery in Paris when she meets Drake Vireo, part man part green dragon and totally insisting she is his wyvern’s mate. She somehow conjures up her own demon, who turns out to be a loud mouthed Newfoundland canine who speaks English in public. She reluctantly accepts that she is the Guardian/Keeper of the Gates to Hell but has no idea what to do.

She travels to Budapest to attend the 238th convention of supernatural beings the GODTAM (Guardians, Oracles, Diviners, Theurgists, and Mages) seeking a teacher. To her chagrin except for the elation of her traitorous feminine parts, Drake is also staying at the Thermal Hotel Danu on Margaret Island. As Drake calls her “Mate” and a Diviner makes her drop fruits on her breasts, someone steals the amulet her uncle assigned to her to deliver. Since she cannot afford to give up her day job and unable to find a mentor to live long enough to teach her Guardian 101, like any tyro Guardian amongst these professionals, Aisling searches for the purloined amulet.

The sequel to the fun fantasy thriller YOU SLAY ME is a delightfully amusing tale. The feisty American star is in Hungary seeking to find her Yoda so that she can learn how to use the force, but sidetracked by her need to recover the amulet and by her Mate who can fire her up with one glance. Fans will enjoy this fine tale as Aisling realizes she is now one of the weird, but struggles with being identified as a Guardian and as the Mate.