The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian

Alternative Worlds

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian
Robert E. Howard; illustrated by Mark Shultz
Ballantine, Nov 2005, $29.95
ISBN: 0345483855

This anthology consists of the first thirteen (in chronological order of when released) Conan tales, which most literary historians agree were the start of the sword and sorcery sub-genre. The tales are well written and enhanced by terrific illustrations by Mark Schultz. Those who grew up with the Schwarzenegger films will find Howard’s Conan a much more complete character (actually the Marvel Comic book series captured more of the original essence). The stories are exciting though they were written in the 1930s. The collection also includes much more information on the Conan tales including maps, an untitled draft and several synopses of potential future tales. The Miscellanea and Appendix sections are fun to read during spare moments as fans will gain an understanding of how creative the author truly was, but clearly the exhilarating stories is where the superb reading experience is at as that affirms Mr. Howard’s greatness.

Title: The Conan Saga
Author: Robert E. Howard
* A Project Gutenberg of Australia eBook *
eBook No.: 1303751h.html
Language: English
Date first posted: Jun 2013
Most recent update: Aug 2013

This eBook was produced by Roy Glashan.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1303751h.html

I would prefer them in order of the character's life

psik

Title: The Conan Saga
Author: Robert E. Howard

This eBook was produced by Roy Glashan.

The Conan Saga

I would prefer them in order of the character's life

I contacted PGAU and they put me in touch with Roy. The page has been updated with the stories in order. He did a great job.

psik

Some of the best fantasy I've ever read. I wish he had written more Conan stories then he did.

Truly, but perhaps if Howard had lived longer Conan would have become less iconic.

Honestly, I wish he had not ended his life at all. He so many more stories to write. I do think he would abandoned fantasy for time. But in the 1950's and 1960's if he was still around, he probably would have gone back to the genre. I wish he lived so that he could met Karl Edward Wagner and all the other workers of that era.

Back