Some quick questions

AnyaKimlin

Confuddled
I'm going to apologise for what is going to be a bunch of very silly questions. Long story short my life went a tad tits up last year and it sucked my confidence a lot and I need to get back on track with everything including my books.

It's the first chapter of a book you know is fantasy. One you know is the second in a series you haven't read before. How much explanation of these three incidents/statements would you need or would you accept it's a fantasy and you will find out? Some feedback suggests I need to explain why Socrates isn't mortal and how he blew the door off. I know if I would reading a fantasy I would be happy that these things happened and I would find out the reason. I'd also assume that the Skua had some significance.

My brother is the one person who may help me work out what to do. He's sort of the mortal, except he's not mortal, version of a wardrobe, but he's less wooden and doesn't smell of mothballs. I open the door a little to shout. “Go away.”
There's an explosion. What on Litae? It makes my heart race and the adrenaline makes the Rush kick in. sh*t. Crap. What the... I open the door a crack to see fiery splinters pouring down from the sky. The sprinklers kick in and rain all over the room, destroying centuries of history. Silhouetted in the doorway is Socrates. He fiddles with his collar and looks round. “Sprinklers off. Light on.” {by this point you know the room is in a palace and character is in a wardrobe]

The room is bathed in light and he steps over the threshold. I close the door.

“Too much power. I was only supposed to blow the bloody door open.” He sighs. It's loud enough to hear through the wardrobe. Soc has a whole repertoire of sighs some of which measure highly in the Richter scale. “Bloody hell my hair's a right mess.”

I'm staring out to sea. Is that... a sea bird – Skua maybe? Could it? No. After I've finished with Daisy I'll get my Soaring Warriors to investigate. The last time Islanders saw a Great Skua in the skies they organised witch hunts and there was some serious public unrest.

IMO it would be completely fine for Book 1 to refer to various back story elements, without having to explain everything. I would also personally apply the same principle to Book 2 - ie, treat Book 1 as backstory and refer to it as required - but not explain every little detail because of the danger of that getting in the way of the narrative.

Some published authors do, of course, recap everything for the reader in sequels. IMO that's unnecessary.

Don't see any problem understanding wot's going on. Us modren readers are pretty sharp. )
He's sort of (a) mortal, except he's not mortal, version of a wardrobe,

actually i was wondering how socrates got from greece where he supposedly suicided to england..

but anyways.. the skua needs a bit more.. but you could add that later.
the wardrobe thing could be quite funny if you play with it a bit..

why is socrates worrying about his hair? in greece he didn't even worry about his trousers. has he turned from philosopher to preening posterboy of the pompous plurocrats?

every nice.. quite a good engaging factor to your bits and pieces

actually i was wondering how socrates got from greece where he supposedly suicided to england..

why is socrates worrying about his hair? in greece he didn't even worry about his trousers. has he turned from philosopher to preening posterboy of the pompous plurocrats?

It's about 120 year before he becomes that Socrates ;) and the beauty of time and space travel has yet to make an appearance in the story so you'll be wondering how for a few more books ;)

actually i was wondering how socrates got from greece where he supposedly suicided to england...

Suicided to England? Is that an alternate method of travel for when you can't afford the fare?

He probably got there the same way Mike got from the Lunar Authority offices to Lazarus Long's house.

Suicided to England? Is that an alternate method of travel for when you can't afford the fare?

He probably got there the same way Mike got from the Lunar Authority offices to Lazarus Long's house.

reminds self to use commas... :D (looks askance at suggestion that england might be some hellish plane of the afterlife...)
(watches cats that walk through walls..Schrodinger shall not triumph!)

'Hellish plane of the afterlife' is a bit strong. For a more accurate description of this fair nation just drop the 'plane of the afterlife': 'hellish' will do just fine, now we have the wicked witch's chief betrousered familiar running the place for another four or five years.

Mind you, 'plane of the afterlife' sounds like the mode of transport you have to take if you suicide to England.

The leaping Lazarus is in Philip José Farmer's Riverworld series - Sir Richard Burton? As a transport technique it leaves something to be desired, as destination cannot be preset, you can only decide 'like - stay around for a bit' or 'don't like - kill yourself to move on'.