Where to start reading Asimov?

Oswin Pond

Hello !
I'm starting to read Issac Asimov's novels, but I don't know where should I start.
According to wikipedia the chronological order is this :

1. The End Of Eternity
  • The Robot series:
    • The Caves of Steel.
    • The Naked Sun.
    • The Robots of Dawn.
    • Robots and Empire.
  • Galactic Empire novels:
    • The Currents of Space.
    • The Stars, Like Dust.
    • Pebble in the Sky.
  • Foundation prequels:
    • Prelude to Foundation.
    • Forward the Foundation.
  • Original Foundation trilogy:
    • Foundation.
    • Foundation and Empire.
    • Second Foundation.
  • Extended Foundation series:
    • Foundation's Edge.
    • Foundation and Earth.
I've already read "The End Of Eternity" (Brilliant book!). I wanted to follow the chronological order but some people warned me that if I read "Prelude to Foundation" and "Foward the Foundation" it will spoil me some big reveals from the Foundation Cycle.

Any advice ? I already have all those books I just don't know how to read them !
Thanks in advance and sorry for the potential grammar mistakes, English is not my native language.

Last edited:
Basically, I think the people who talk about the later prequels spoiling the earlier(written) later(setting) books (among other arguments) have the strongest case. I would read them in approximate book publication order. You can always re-read them in the internal order. ;) (The earliest Robot stories come before the Robot novels in both written and internal order. The Foundation stories were written more or less alongside the Robot stories and it doesn't much matter which you start with between the two. The Empire novels come after the core of the other two were laid down and are internally and mostly externally between Robot and Foundation. Then he quit writing in those series (and SF generally) except for a couple of novel exceptions and some stories, some of which were Robot stories, until 1982, so it's really like two different series. Those can also be read in the order they were released just fine but should really definitely come after all the pre-80s stuff.)

Welcome to the Chrons. Glad you liked End of Eternity and hope you like the rest as much or more! :)

I wanted to follow the chronological order
Don't even think about reading in INTERNAL chronological order. Only read in Published order. On the list below, really only the 3 original Foundation books need to be read in their order. The list can really be read in any order. Highlighted are my favourites.

Also the earlier books are better. Some of the later prequels IMO are a bit pretentious and really aimed at fan of earlier ones.
  1. Caves of Steel
  2. The Currents of Space.
  3. The Stars, Like Dust.
  4. Pebble in the Sky
  5. Naked Sun
  6. I Robot Anthology (all the best robot stories are shorts)
  7. Perhaps Foundation, but only the original Trilogy till you read lots other of his older books.
The original Foundation trilogy is all stitched from various shorts in magazines. He was a very good short story writer. The pre 80s and esp. 1940s & 1950s is the classic Asimov.

On the list below, really only the 3 original Foundation books need to be read in their order. The list can really be read in any order.

Well, I think Caves of Steel and Naked Sun should be read in order (internal and external the same for those two) because it is "Bailey meets Daneel and they work on Case #1" and then "Bailey and Daneel know each other and they work on Case #2" - true, the cases don't affect each other, really, but I still think they have a character-based order. And, as long as you like stories, the Robot stories (like all those in I, Robot, though not necessarily all those in The [In]Complete Robot) lay the groundwork for the novels and could be read before them though the novels certainly set up everything fine and don't depend on the stories. But I agree that only the original 40s/50s Foundation stories/books are really one big book (literally in the Foundation Trilogy version) and must be read in order.

Thank you for all your answers !
So I should read the books in this order :

Robot cycle :

I. Robot 1950
The Rest of the Robots 1964
The Complete Robot 1982
Robot Dreams 1986

(Yes, I forgot to mention, I have those books too.)
Elijah Baley cycle :

The Caves of Steel 1954
The Naked Sun 1957
The Robots of Dawn 1883
Robots and Empire 1885

Empire cycle :

Pebble in the Sky. 1950
The Stars, Like Dust. 1951
The Currents of Space. 1952

Foundation Cycle :

Foundation. 1951
Foundation and Empire. 1952
Second Foundation. 1953
Foundation's Edge. 1982
Foundation and Earth. 1986
Prelude to Foundation. 1988
Forward the Foundation. 1993.

Is this correct and would this avoid spoiler ?
Thanks again for your time.
Oh and I have a book named "Nemesis", is it a stand alone ?

Thank you for all your answers !
So I should read the books in this order :

No, more like

Robot cycle :

I. Robot 1950
The Rest of the Robots 1964
[this is actually the title of an omnibus/collection which includes the two 50s Robot novels and stories that weren't collected in I, Robot. Then Pyramid released a paperback of just the stories called Eight Stories from the Rest of the Robots but is often referred to just using the original title.]

Elijah Baley cycle :

The Caves of Steel 1954
The Naked Sun 1957

Empire cycle :

Pebble in the Sky. 1950
The Stars, Like Dust. 1951
The Currents of Space. 1952

Foundation Cycle :

Foundation. 1951
Foundation and Empire. 1952
Second Foundation. 1953

Robot cycle 2:

The Complete Robot 1982
Robot Dreams 1986

[The Complete Robot contains the complete stories of I, Robot and Eight Stories from the Rest of the Robots but without the framing material, intros, etc., and is ordered differently, and then it contains many more Robot stories. But there are also Robot stories in Robot Visions and in Gold which don't appear in either of the above collections and, on the other hand, Robot Dreams only added the one title Robot story that wasn't already collected. The way the Robot stories were collected is the one real pain of Asimov's bibliography.]

Elijah Baley cycle :Robots of Dawn

The Robots of Dawn 1983
Robots and Empire 1985

Foundation Cycle :

Foundation's Edge. 1982
Foundation and Earth. 1986
Prelude to Foundation. 1988
Forward the Foundation. 1993.

The thing is, the Robot and Empire/Foundation novels were originally completely separate series and were only welded together in Robots and Empire (1985). And the prequel novels are all written with the events of Robots and Empire as already known. So they completely transform the perspective on the earlier books. You can read Foundation's Edge and Robots of Dawn right after the other Foundation collections and Robot novels but might as well save them as part of the "Second Phase". But Robots and Empire and everything after it change things. And, as I say, I'd actually recommend just reading the 80s/90s stuff in the order they were written (Foundation's Edge, then The Robots of Dawn, etc.) as you'll have the framework and backstory and then you'll read Foundation's Edge without having Robots and Empire even coloring that. But either way, I guess.

Oh and I have a book named "Nemesis", is it a stand alone ?

Yep - End of Eternity is sometimes kind of wiggled into the future history but it, The Gods Themselves, and Nemesis are essentially his stand-alones.

Have to agree with Ray
the quality of his writing petered off,and i didn't care much for his efforts to link the Foundation and Robot series

my personal advice,based on nothing at all,really:p: start with the stars like dust

J-Sun : But you're mixing the cycle, wouldn't that be confusing ?
By the way, I'm currently reading I.Robot, it's so good ! I think Asimov is becoming my favorite science fiction's author !

J-Sun : But you're mixing the cycle, wouldn't that be confusing ?

No - everybody from 1939 to 1993 had to read them "out of order" and nobody was confused. :) They weren't always intended to be a pre-planned giant series and internal order isn't of primary importance - if you read in written order you'll (a) be able to see how the series developed and (b) read the best stuff earlier than the lesser stuff and (c) can then put the whole series in internal order in your head when you're done (or, as I say, re-read 'em all in any order). (Regarding (b), I'll agree with Ray and hsf that his "late" stuff isn't generally as good as his "early" stuff but wouldn't go as far as they seem to. I think Foundation's Edge and Robots of Dawn are still great - different from the early stuff (especially Foundation's Edge, being a largish novel instead of more stories) - and I wouldn't advise skipping them (or any Asimov, really - there's no Asimov I haven't been glad I read, even the Lucky Starr juveniles and Fantastic Voyage novelization and sequel (though Fantastic Voyage is probably the very least of his books)). But I do agree that Robots and Empire is problematic and everything after that is very different.

Back on the issue of potential confusion: the robot stories have a couple of recurring subsets (the ones that feature Susan Calvin and those with Donovan & Powell) but they are essentially independent stories connected by a common Three Laws of Robotics/"U.S. Robots and Mechanical Men" background. Asimov sequenced them in I, Robot to tell a sort of mini-future history but this is more of an imposed order than a planned thing. Then the Robot novels follow on from those and use the Three Laws but are pretty separate from the stories (though there is one Baley/Olivaw story). In terms of themselves, they are a set of mostly separate cases, one per novel. The Empire novels are actually completely independent from one another in a plot/character sense. They just share the "Trantorian Empire" background. And it's Trantor that the Foundation is trying to replace in the Foundation stories, but nothing much is specifically referred to from the Empire novels in Foundation. It's only the Foundation stories themselves, which make up the Foundation Trilogy, which were actually pretty quickly intended to be a strict, chronological series and directly build on each other though, even there, the series evolved, being made of shorter and loosely connected stories at first and then getting longer and more tightly connected (the last two volumes are already very different from the first).

And that's the way it stood for over 30 years, except for some more miscellaneous (and often superlative) Robot stories.

So then he wrote a Foundation sequel to the Trilogy and released the new compilation of Robot stories with The Complete Robot in 1982 and wrote a third Baley/Olivaw mystery in 1983. So far, so simple.

But then he changed the nature of all the series with Robots and Empire in 1985 and continued that story (well, actually Foundation's Edge's story, but with the changes introduced in Robots and Empire included) to what many fans find a questionable end in 1986's Foundation and Earth. And then he felt he could really only write prequels rather than go further, so wrote the two prequels in '88 and '93. Those two are actually set before the Foundation Trilogy and, if you read the prequels first, you'll never be able to experience the Foundation Trilogy as all the fans between 1950 and 1985 did - and this was how its reputation was built and what was given the 1966 Hugo Award for Best All-Time Series.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that it's up to you, but don't focus too much on the series being an overly ordered and connected thing and don't worry about getting confused by reading them how Asimov wrote them and how a lot of people read them. :)

And glad you're enjoying I, Robot and that he's becoming your favorite author - it's a great book, and he's mine, too.

Last edited:
Just thought of another way to put it.

While Asimov doesn't really have a Darth Vader character and is never as bad as the Star Wars prequels, it's kind of the same principle: many people who watch the Star Wars movies in order may never even get to the originals before giving up and, even if they get there, they will never see Darth Vader properly, the way people who saw the original trilogy did (or even C-3P0 and R2-D2, for that matter, or the whole milieu or the Force itself) because it's all been altered by the prequels. And there's nothing confusing about watching the original trilogy first. There's no question about the right order to experience those, IMO.

I started with "I, Robot" and then the Foundation trilogy. I read the rest of the Robot and Foundation books in order of publication. I know some people dislike the lastest published books, but I enjoyed the whole series. Even though the original Foundation trilogy is Asimov's most famous work, I actually prefer the Robot series.

I later read the Galactic Empire trilogy. While they are among his earliest published works, I think the quality of writing is poorer than his most famous works.

One stand-alone short story I really enjoyed was "Nightfall". Asimov really has a way of developing unique ideas into plausible scenarios.

"Nightfall". Asimov really has a way of developing unique ideas into plausible scenarios.
I think Nightfall is fun, but not remotely plausible. The co-written Novelization of it tries to improve it a bit. You have to seriously suspend disbelief. The novel is fun though, and perhaps the short story and novel are both the rare Asimov SF with non-human aliens. There is an essay somewhere were he explains populating his universe with humans only (mostly). There are I think maybe two other short stories with non-humans. Some people incorrectly claim Asimov's SF only has humans (and of course the AI "robots" that are more like other writers conception of androids).

Of course people have a huge misconception about the three laws (later four) of robotics.

I think Nightfall is fun, but not remotely plausible. The co-written Novelization of it tries to improve it a bit. You have to seriously suspend disbelief. The novel is fun though, and perhaps the short story and novel are both the rare Asimov SF with non-human aliens.

Hmm. Maybe what I'm thinking is plausible about it is the reaction of the planet's inhabitants to the unexpected darkness. For a short story, there is some pretty well developed world-building.

No - everybody from 1939 to 1993 had to read them "out of order" and nobody was confused. :) They weren't always intended to be a pre-planned giant series and internal order isn't of primary importance - if you read in written order you'll (a) be able to see how the series developed and (b) read the best stuff earlier than the lesser stuff and (c) can then put the whole series in internal order in your head when you're done (or, as I say, re-read 'em all in any order).
It's only the Foundation stories themselves, which make up the Foundation Trilogy, which were actually pretty quickly intended to be a strict, chronological series and directly build on each other though, even there, the series evolved, being made of shorter and loosely connected stories at first and then getting longer and more tightly connected (the last two volumes are already very different from the first).
Remember NOT to read Foundation novels in order!
The real order is:
Original prelude of Foundation
Foundation II
Foundation III
Foundation V
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation I

The real order is:
Foundation II
Foundation III
Foundation V
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation I
Ha! Don't go sullying the name of the good late Doctor by association with Lucas!

Everything J-Sun said in reading order is spot on. Also, as a fellow fan, I should say that I thoroughly enjoyed the prequels, sequels and later work generally. But you should still read the original F trilogy in order. The empire books particularly could be read in any order, but the Robot books should be afforded more discipline.

The real order is:
Foundation II
Foundation III
Foundation V
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation I
Sorry, a mistake - forgot Foundation IV.
So:
Foundation III
Foundation V
Foundation IV
Foundation and Empire