Mr. Robot

It was a great finale to what has been the best season of Mr. Robot and probably one of the best shows this year, if not ever.

It's true that the show ended on an almost happy note with Elliot undoing the 5/9 hack, but as the post-credit scene showed us, it's probably not going to work out the way Elliot hopes. Someone cited the example of the shop owner who, before the 5/9 hack, may have had debt in the form of credit cards, mortgages, loans etc., so for all that he lost in the form of his store, he also had his debts wiped clean. Now that Elliot has undone the hack, the shop owner has all of his debts back, but no longer has the store to pay them. Hard times are ahead for many.

Irving was awesome this episode, really showed his teeth for the first time, and quite frankly scared me. I can't believe Dom didn't just go along with the DA initiation, she had to be blackmailed and threatened to do so, but I don't see her going along with this, I suspect she will find a way to work against the DA.

The Price / Angela revelation was long coming and guessed by many way before it aired, but it at least gives Angela some much needed time to grieve.

I do think that Elliot may have gotten one over on the DA though. The Iranian humanitarian mission that was off to the Congo gave the DA their way in, but given that the DA have spent much of this season priming Iran to be the 'bad guys' in all of this, I wonder if Elliot has done this so that when the US implement sanctions (or whatever they decide), the use of Iranian vessels by the DA will be exposed. Could be nothing, just wondering...

This is now in its 4th season, and it has been very strong throughout. It's possible that they'll finish on this season - it has that feel of a complete story coming to an end. The writing and execution is really good throughout, and although it's not strictly scifi (or is it? ;)), it's alternate reality (but less so than Watchmen) mixed with Fight Club without the fighting, and real, actual code on a real computer screen. I know most people won't care about that part, but it shows the kind of effort they put into the details.

It has one of the subtlest, most interesting beginnings of any series that I've seen, as you, the audience, is called into existence by the main character right at the start. If you do nothing else, watch that first scene. In my opinion, it shows the strength of the writing - and they hardly ever lose it - it really stays that strong throughout.

The cast is great too, with Rami Malek (now famous for impersonating Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody) and Chistian Slater in leading roles. Good support too.

That was a messy review, but the bottom line is: watch it. Definitely one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Reactions: ctg
I've enjoyed every season this series has put out. The third season, yes, was a struggle but this latest season has definitely been worth the work.

Back