Song verses for opening quotes

The Neon Seal

Opening quotes to books. We all love them -- well, I do! I was wondering though, is it ok to use verses from songs as opening quotes?

Songs that you've written yourself, or written by family/friends who are happy to let you use them, fine. Real life songs, you'd need to get permission of the copyright holder. For poems and literary works you can usually quote a few lines without any comeback (though if you are publishing, it's only courteous to get consent), but songs are treated differently, and even one line can -- in theory at least -- cause problems.

EDIT: goldhawk's post made me realise I'd forgotten the date aspect -- using old songs would be OK, but you'd need to check the time limits for the particular songs you wanted to use.

If still in copyright, you need permission. It may or may not cost a lot depending on the amount of quote and attitude of copyright owner.
Also probably the composer, title and if applicable copyright holder needs acknowledged.
You'll see such list in the back or front of some books that quote other works.

If you are reviewing, or writing a research paper etc, you may not need permission, but still have to quote sources (fair use, which may not have legal protection in all countries)

There could be copyright issues if you use a recent song.
Definitely there are. And not just recent ones. It varies by country as to the copyright period and if copyright renewed. I'd bet Disney has renewed copyright on every song since 1930s. From Snow White at least.

Definitely there are. And not just recent ones. It varies by country as to the copyright period and if copyright renewed. I'd bet Disney has renewed copyright on every song since 1930s. From Snow White at least.

I was thinking about songs from the 1800s or before as being "not recent". :)

How does this work for prose? I was planning to nick and quote a few well known lines from a classical novel from 50 or so years ago

1800s or before as being "not recent"
:D
How does this work for prose? I
Just the same. You need to establish if it is still under copyright. Get permission in writing if it is. Unlike the songs it's more likely to be free. Not everyone will give permission. If it's a review, or a scholarly paper, rather than a story, then you don't usually need permission.

Shakespeare is popular for good reason. Copyright expired and great selection to choose from. Bible you can only use older translations (Not Jerusalem Bible, New English Bible, NIV etc without permission).

Almost certainly it is under copyright if it was only published 50 years ago, but if it's only a line or two it's unlikely to be a problem.

Incidentally, from late last year, in English and Welsh law there's a defence to a copyright action on the grounds of caricature, parody or pastiche. In effect if you're sending up the quoted work, that's a defence.

I may just use a general quote like I usually do. For my core series -- currently in stasis -- I have a cracking quote for book two by George Orwell.

Its easy enough to create your own pithy saying or fun bits, Neon Seal. Is this the part you mean from Year 2525?

"Now it's been ten thousand years, man has cried a billion tears
For what, he never knew, now man's reign is through
But through eternal night, the twinkling of starlight
So very far away, maybe it's only yesterday"

Read more: Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525 Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Quite evocative, to say the least.
I would contact Zager and Evans and see what they say, first. If you don't ask, you'll never get. The worst case is they say no.

Something with the same flavour I am thinking you need. What if it were paraphrased?
Like;
All the tears of man have ended with his life, cast out into this new darkness of the stars.
Or some such.

Its easy enough to create your own pithy saying or fun bits, Neon Seal. Is this the part you mean from Year 2525?

"Now it's been ten thousand years, man has cried a billion tears
For what, he never knew, now man's reign is through
But through eternal night, the twinkling of starlight
So very far away, maybe it's only yesterday"

Read more: Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525 Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Quite evocative, to say the least.
I would contact Zager and Evans and see what they say, first. If you don't ask, you'll never get. The worst case is they say no.

Something with the same flavour I am thinking you need. What if it were paraphrased?
Like;
All the tears of man have ended with his life, cast out into this new darkness of the stars.
Or some such.

I have some good quotes about nature so I will use one of them! :D

Opening quotes to books. We all love them -- well, I do!

I don't.

First, are you sure that your readers love poetry? That they heard the song before and liked it? What if they hate the song or the performer?

Second, for me, using other's verses is a demonstration of lack of author's own imagination. If you rely on others to make your text more attractive, why should I believe that there is something original and interesting at all?

I tend to be suspicious of them myself. They often make me feel the author is trying to make him/herself seem clever so I'll be more disposed to like the start of the book. It often has the opposite effect. However, sometimes I've come across a quote I've never heard before, and which I've found memorable, so there is that.

I guess I'm more suspicious when the quote is very literary and I don't expect the book to be -- that gives me the feeling the author is trying to pull a fast one. I'd be happy with Zager and Evans, though!

Oh, I'm a total sucker for quotes. Don't mind where they're put--on walls, on clothes, on the TV!--but the more poignant the better. When it fits a story in a certain way, too, it van really add to the beginning of the book.