Witcher 3

So I'm finally nearing the end of this experience. I say 'experience' because, for me, that's what it's been - it's been so immersive and I've become so invested in the characters that it's felt like more than a game. I wasn't intending to play the Blood & Wine expansion for a while yet - I was holding off, playing other stuff in the meanwhile, because I didn't want this to end. But then I bought a new graphics card a few weeks back and loaded the game up for the first time in a while just to see what it looked like. A few minutes of wandering around led me to my one remaining quest, 'Envoys, Wineboys', and next thing I knew I was off to Toussaint and not looking back.

Over forty hours later and it's almost over. I'm level 53, I've beaten the big bad and am putting off finishing the main quest whilst I mop up some contracts and treasure hunts. I got the Manticore Armour set a couple of days ago and decided to try out a new build using the Euphoria mutation and a couple more Alchemy skills (Protective Coating and Endure Pain - makes Geralt an absolute beast). It's the most powerful build I've had yet - completely OP, tbh. Not much point at the end, possibly, but I'm planning on taking it into New Game+ and giving it a, ahem, whirl.

So I've gone from not wanting it to end to 'can't wait to begin it again'. Can't wait to make different choices, find quests I missed, get all those Gwent cards, possibly get the best ending, and maybe - just maybe - not stuff up Geralt's love life again :whistle: :ninja:

Or maybe I should, you know, get a life instead :D

Still haven't got the expansion yet.

It is, however, a tremendously good game. Don't know about others, but I usually have a couple of generation-defining videogames, and this is one of them for the PS4 era.

Still haven't got the expansion yet.

You really, really should - it's on sale quite often these days. Blood & Wine on its own has a better story and more content than most triple-A games. It's almost a full-blown sequel, like having a Witcher 4 in all but name.

Aaaaand finished :cool:

I feel bereft - farewell Geralt and Ciri, it's been so much fun. What am I going to do now?? :(

Oh yeah - New Game+ :ROFLMAO:

One day, Bugg. Probably remember when I have a PS6.

Also, Cyberpunk 2077 will probably have some announcement or other at E3, which is only a few days away.

Yeah. The response from the wider community seems to be that hacking is dickish generally, but doing it to CD Projekt Red in particular smacks of hitting one of the best-engaged and most pro-consumer developers there is.

I may have started NG+ on Death March. Also with a few mods, like the HD Re-worked and Nitpickers ones. Already killed the griffin and moved on to Velen :ninja:

Ah. I'm just a console peasant, so no mods for me.

*tills field and hopes the harvest is good this year*

There are a lot of mods that interest me but really only a handful that I use. The aforementioned HD Reworked is excellent. The Nitpickers one I haven't even noticed (which is probably the intention!). I have one that shows the names of all the potions and decoctions on the inventory screen, which makes them a lot quicker to find.

I was messing around with reshades and lighting mods yesterday, which looked great out in the open but made interiors impossibly dark (realistic, maybe, but not exactly practical), so those got dumped pretty quickly!

The only real problem I have with The Witcher 3 is that it makes my (old, fat) PS4 scream like a damned jet engine.

*sighs* I have atrocious console timing. Seriously, next generation, wait until I buy one, then wait six months more and the better, slimmer model will come out.

Found this interesting. Things could've been quite different if the first game had gone down this path.

That's an interesting alternative. I wonder if the next Witcher game will feature a defined character, or we'll make our own.

There are no more witcher games coming - even if the end of Blood and Wine doesn't make that abundantly clear the developers have been pretty candid about it. I loved this series so hard and have pretty much done every side quest and ever gwent card, every race, every fight. It's amazing.

They've sent out some mixed messages, to be fair. One minute they say it's the last one, then they qualify it and say it's the last one about Geralt, but they may return to the Witcher universe at some point in the future.

I'm really excited to see what they do with Cyberpunk 2077 now, though.

Bugg, that's what I'd heard too. Ciri or Make-Your-Own-Witcher is possible.

Just bought this, and playing through the opening of it.

I really enjoyed the Witcher 2, but the politics got a little too deep for casual playing. I loved the dichotomy of the villain in that, making him look like a thug, yet actually he was one of the shrewdest players on the board.

What I do enjoy about 3 is the moster hunting aspect which seems to be the refocus. Each one seems like an excellent set piece with problem solving, fighting, and just such a general air of nastiness to the monsters it turns them into something which would be feared in that world.

Love the comedy mission where you have a bunch of buddies having a night on the lash, knowing that it was the last time they would be able to do that - completely capped by the telling off Geralt got from Yennifer for it. It was such a juxtaposition of the dark story, and made it feel so real. Hillarious, yet bittersweet. i really got the impression they knew it was the last chance they'd have to relax, so they embraced it... perhaps a little too readily!

I've returned to The Witcher with the intention of carrying my save game from it to Assassins of Kings and then on to Wild Hunt (planning to re-start my NG+ of the latter, if/when I get there). So far I'm up to chapter 3 of the original game - it's the furthest I've ever got with it, having got bored during chapter 2 on my two previous attempts.

It's quite surprising how much better it seems now. In the seven or eight years since my second abandoned attempt to play it I have read four or five of the books and Wild Hunt has become my favourite game. So the world, characters, enemies and concepts all feel familiar and more involving than I found them originally. The combat still seems a bit odd but at least it's different, and the Signs, oils and potions all make a lot more sense to me now.

The voice acting is still generally pants, though :D