Grimm: 2.04: Quill

J-Sun

Spoilers through ep4 (the quill dude).

I agree that telling Hank was a good thing - I've been waiting for that for a long time, as Nick was basically just being cruel to Hank after awhile. Yeah, you want to keep it a secret but the dude was losing his marbles. Have a heart. I didn't like the Juliet thing from the get-go. As soon as he came in with her awake, I said, "Who are you?" and rolled my eyes when she actually said it. I just don't see any advantage or payoff from it. This whole season has felt discombobulated to me, relative to a first season that had finally seemed to hit its stride. Now I'm waiting for the second season to hit its stride.

But, aside from the "Mom? Nick who? Um, by the way, Hank..." mess, each episode - while not great - has been okay. So still tuning in; still hoping. But I'm kind of wondering what I'm here for. With Buffy, it was about friends and family and self-sacrifice and sacred duties and saving the world a lot and I never got tired of vamps going *poof* and with this, it's... about a cop. Doing coply things. And I'm tired of face morphs already. I think Renard's going to have to save the show. ;)

And, yeah, NBC show then; NBC show now. And good point clovis-man - it is a little cramped but it does seems like it might be a bit of a 'trailer of holding'.

I only watched the first episode and that was enough to know it was garbage. Great source material, but the show could have really been great if they slowed the pace down, and maybe understood a thing or two about effective plotting and dialogue.

I don't know.
I can definitely see where you are coming from but some great shows in the past have had a rocky first/second season before really hitting their pace.

I like it because it is fun, doesn't take itself too seriously and I can watch it with the kids (they like it too). I think there has also been an improvement in quality between the end of the last season and beginning of the second.

I think the dialogue and acting has tightened up. The writing has improved and the story arc is coming together better.

(I have to admit I grew up in Oregon so part of my enjoyment is trying to recognize locations :) )

I enjoy the show for what it is. One thing does bother me though. Why is Portand Wessen Central? I mean, there aren't that many Wessen per normals in the rest of the country/world is there? That would seem like an astonishingly high number.

On the other hand, if they are relatively rare, why are so many living in Portland and environs?????

It's a rhetorical question, I guess, as the show has never given any indication either way, other than pointing out that the Wessen are originally from the Old World.

It's the wessenmouth - a center of mystical convergence. "Dig a bit in the history of this place. You'll find a steady stream of fairly odd occurrences. Now I believe this whole area is a center of mystical energy, that things gravitate towards it that you might not find elsewhere."

Wrong show, but I figure the handwavium still applies. :) We do know the coins were (are) there. Whether they are cause or effect, we could figure "something" pulled them there or they're pulling things. Though we do get a sense that wessen have been hanging around Portland for a long time and don't know how long the coins have been there. And we do know wessen also hang in Texas but, like you say, they came from the Old World and there could be several centers.

Plus, many wessen seem to be caught up in shady things and Nick's a cop (and two of his three best friends are wessen) so we're probably going to feel like they're a higher percentage than they actually are.

There's no channel change (at least not in the US), it's just changing days of the week.

It didnt change channels in US i mistook the Canadian channel CTV that i got the eps from online with its original airing US channel.

The poster,preview of NBC is comical though, Nick looking like a fantasy hero with that Ax.

Psycho, I think the producers agreed with you. Nick has been very beefed up for the second season. He can now stand toe to toe with all but the biggest, baddest Wessen.

As a side note, the Wessen are not so much terrified of Nick as they are of the reputation of the Grimms that came before Nick. They were a MUCH more formidable lot, and had a habit of apparently killing Wessen on sight.

Psycho, I think the producers agreed with you. Nick has been very beefed up for the second season. He can now stand toe to toe with all but the biggest, baddest Wessen.

As a side note, the Wessen are not so much terrified of Nick as they are of the reputation of the Grimms that came before Nick. They were a MUCH more formidable lot, and had a habit of apparently killing Wessen on sight.

They should be scared really, Nick has killed atleast 3 assassins that is more skilled,dangerous than the usual wessen. I use to think he thrived on the wessen being afraid of him but he can kill them on his own.

There is Grimm wiki that says Grimms have more strength,ability than usual human level so there is genetic, inherited reasons for fearing the power of a Grimm.

Yes, it's not too bad of a show. Don't think it will ever be as interesting to me as say, The Walking Dead, but it is still a good program. I do like the fact that one of Nick's sidekicks is Monroe, the werewolf type creature. It's almost like having a spy for a friend from the enemy camp. My wife and I both enjoy the show, although the special effects are not what I would consider top grade (more accurately the CG that shows up when one of the Wessen shake does a "head shake" to reveal his/her inner self). What do you guys and gals think? Am I off base on that point?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank heavens for that because quite frankly his ninety year old aunt dying of cancer was a far more convincing fighter than he is.

Cheers, Greg.

Thank heavens for that because quite frankly his ninety year old aunt dying of cancer was a far more convincing fighter than he is.

I think he was just surprised that he was expected to carry on the family business at first. Now, in season 2, after a few visits to the Airstream, he's gotten into the swing of things.

Plus he obviously must "grow" into his Grimbilities. Considering what his mom can do with all her ninja qualities, it seems obvious that Nick is just starting to gain contact with his inner Grimm.

I enjoy the show for what it is. One thing does bother me though. Why is Portand Wessen Central? I mean, there aren't that many Wessen per normals in the rest of the country/world is there? That would seem like an astonishingly high number.

On the other hand, if they are relatively rare, why are so many living in Portland and environs?????

It's a rhetorical question, I guess, as the show has never given any indication either way, other than pointing out that the Wessen are originally from the Old World.

Have you ever been to Pioneer Square at midnight on a Friday or Saturday? Definitely Wessen Central.