Grimm: Season 1

With a second season assured, here is an article

Thanks for that.

I was saying that I wanted the show to get either better or worse so I could come down firmly on one side or the other and, while not quite there yet, I'm happy to note that it's getting better for me. Introducing Rosalee was a smooth move (especially as I really like her) and, while I'm not all that big on "giant bottomless pits of conspiracy stories" I think working more of Renard and Adalind and beating up on poor Wu is helping. So I'm actually glad this got picked up for another season.

What I'll say about the show is this:

I feel it doesn't really put my city in a good light. I kind of feel that Oregon, and especially Portland, are the laughing stock of the United States and Grimm does not help the situation much.

What I'll say about the show is this:

I feel it doesn't really put my city in a good light. I kind of feel that Oregon, and especially Portland, are the laughing stock of the United States and Grimm does not help the situation much.

I have lived in Oregon (Grant's Pass), have good friends in Eugene and other friends formerly in Portland and Salem. I like Oregon. I even like the weather. I don't see the show as degrading to the city. See this:

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2011/10/grimm_brings_visibility_jobs_-.html

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Grimm-location-scouts-scour-Portland-152083895.html#Two

Try living in Fresno and see how much respect you get.:rolleyes:

I have lived in Oregon (Grant's Pass), have good friends in Eugene and other friends formerly in Portland and Salem. I like Oregon. I even like the weather. I don't see the show as degrading to the city. See this:

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2011/10/grimm_brings_visibility_jobs_-.html

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Grimm-location-scouts-scour-Portland-152083895.html#Two

Try living in Fresno and see how much respect you get.:rolleyes:

I agree! Oregon is a great place! And you have to admit, the fact that so many shows are deciding to film can up the tourist/job market...

At least you have the ability to have shows film and be set in your area...in Seattle, fees are too high so most people stay away from filming here even when the program is set here...

The last 5,6 eps of Grimm have been pretty good. I watched ep 10 to 18 ep in a marathon last week. It has become better written,more mythology,world building and good characters like Monroe,Rosalie.

It took me a few episodes to warm to it but as the characters grow and gel, so does the show. Urban fantasy takes on the brothers grimm. great stuff.

Overall I have enjoyed the show, though I take it as light material. Nothing that deep about it, but fun never the less.

My only question is why is Portland Beast Central? I mean, there cannot be this percentage of the creatures to humans in every city, right??????

Hi,

We're still on season one of the series, and I'm a bit ho hum about the whole thing. I really find the main man quite boring. But more than that there's one thing I simply don't get. Why the heck are all these wessen afraid of him? It's not as if he seems to have any superpowers at all. He's not even got Buffy's fighting talents.

Quite frankly if I was one of these wessen, he'd already be dinner. That fact that he can see me would bother me no more then it would bother a lion as he leapt on his dinner. A rabbit is still a rabbit, even if it's not blind.

Cheers, Greg.

I've watched episode 1 of the first season, and while some points interested me, on the whole it didn't seem that good. The acting was rather underwhelming.

Now that it's been on for awhile and had a chance to grow into its strengths(hopefully), I'd like peoples opinions. Does it get better, is this show worth watching? Or is it like the first episode all the way through?

I'm trying to decide if I should keep watching or not.

I've watched episode 1 of the first season, and while some points interested me, on the whole it didn't seem that good. The acting was rather underwhelming.

Now that it's been on for awhile and had a chance to grow into its strengths(hopefully), I'd like peoples opinions. Does it get better, is this show worth watching? Or is it like the first episode all the way through?

I'm trying to decide if I should keep watching or not.

Probably everybody's different but, for me, the first few episodes were maybe slightly shaded on the positive side of mediocre but I wasn't an instant fan, either. As the first season went on, it definitely got better for me to the point where I thought it would surely be "one of my shows". But then the second season transition was bumpy, then got better, then seems to have stalled again. Basically, while there has been a couple of excellent episodes, the show won't get consistently excellent but it also never gets much worse than mediocre, I guess.

I doubt that helps much, but there it is. I wouldn't say it's like the first episode all the way through, though. Maybe it was episode 8 where things picked up and I really liked 14. But the aggregate effect is almost returning me to my initial ambivalent mood.

Thanks J-Sun. From the sound of it, I think I'll give this show a pass. Not like I'm short of shows to watch at the moment anyway.

Just started watching Grimm last night, saw the first 4 episodes. I agree it does echo Supernatural in some ways. Monroe rocks!

There is. ;) [noparse]http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/534007-grimm.html[/noparse]

I watched a little bit of the first episode, but unfortunately I can't find anywhere to watch any more of it.
Grimm is being shown on the Really channel. Episode 2 is on now**; episodes 3 and 4 are on next Thursday and both are repeated on Sunday (from 22:00 onwards).

** - I think these are already repeats, and Really seems to offer an on-demand service, Grimm doesn't appear to be on it yet.

I enjoy the show quite a bit, though my interest does start to waver slightly when they continue the same storyline for too long and leave behind the weekly introduction of different Wesen.

Why not start a new thread now that there's a forum and we can drop the spoiler tags? :)

Well, they are dragging it out in that Renard's mom - what's her name? - gave them the solution and they didn't do anything about it this ep but, yeah, the important thing is that they give us hope it won't be much longer.

I've not read through this thread as I don't want to be spoilered but I've started to watch this from the beginning and I'm still in Season 1. I watch Once Upon a Time but find it a bit cheesy. I've been really impressed with Grimm and the way it has laid down some ongoing long arc puzzles. That was until I got to S1 Episode 13 and the swastika coins. Why did they decide to introduce Adolf Hitler and the Nazis? You just know a show has 'jumped the shark' when they introduce Adolf Hitler and the Nazis. It is a well know trope indicating the nail in the coffin of good story telling. I'm so disappointed! I guess if it lasts 3 more seasons it can't be totally bad though I'm very doubtful. It had so much promise too.

Dave - I don't know what you count as spoilers in this context. All I can say is that the Hitler thing is not a jump the shark moment. If you want a sort of negative spoiler on this specific point,

I think the Hitler thing was used merely as an illustration of a general occult history thing and doesn't actually figure into the subsequent plotlines - can't say they won't bring it back but the point is that, thus far, this is not a Hitler story. Even if they did bring that back, it'd probably be a minor point in a much larger concept.

I quit watching for awhile myself (somewhere in the last season, IIRC, before picking it up again towards the end of last season) but it was just because of annoyance with storylines with Nick and Juliette and so on. Again, no spoilers, but they bring in a storyline at the end of last season that I liked a lot and the current one with Juliette rocks, so keep up hope. :)

The Hitler thing was a mythology building moment more than anything and doesn't really effect any story arcs. If you pay attention throughout the series many other historical figures are mentioned as being either Wesen or Grimm. I won't spoil any of them but there are some pretty cool easter eggs there for those interested in that aspect of the show.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pedro Del Mar Book Discussion 5
WaylanderToo Grimm 2
Dave Grimm 10
Extollager Literary Fiction 3
Connavar Grimm 4