Bibliography - Michael Moorcock

rune

rune
Series

Elric Saga
1. The Stealer of Souls (1961)
The Singing Citadel (1970)
2. The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (1976)
3. The Weird of the White Wolf (1977)
4. The Sleeping Sorceress (1970)
aka The Vanishing Tower
4. Elric of Melnibone (1972)
aka The Dreaming City
The Jade Man's Eyes (1973)
The Return to Melnibone (1973) (with Philippe Druillet)
5. The Bane of the Black Sword (1977)
6. Stormbringer (1977)
7. The Fortress of the Pearl (1989)
The Revenge of the Rose (1991)
The Dreamthief's Daughter (2001)

Oswald Bastable
1. The Warlord of the Air (1961)
2. The Land Leviathan (1974)
3. The Steel Tsar (1981)

Eternal Champion
1. The Eternal Champion (1962)
2. Phoenix in Obsidian (1970)
aka The Silver Warriors
3. The Swords of Heaven, the Flowers of Hell (1978) (with Howard Chaykin)
Earl Aubec (1979)
4. The Dragon in the Sword (1986)
5. The Skrayling Tree: The Albino in America (2003)

Michael Kane (writing as Edward P Bradbury)
1. Warriors of Mars (1965)
aka The City of the Beast
2. Blades of Mars (1965)
aka Lord of the Spiders
3. Barbarians of Mars (1965)
aka Masters of the Pit

Runestaff
1. The Jewel in the Skull (1967)
2. Sorcerer's Amulet (1968)
aka The Mad God's Amulet
3. The Sword of the Dawn (1968)
4. The Runestaff (1969)
aka The Secret of the Runestaff
Hawkmoon: The Jewel in the Skull / The Mad God's Amulet / The Sword of the Dawn / The Runestaff (omnibus) (1992)

Cornelius
1. The Final Programme (1968)
A Cure for Cancer (1971)
2. The English Assassin (1972)
The Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the Twentieth Century (1976)
aka Persson and Catherine
Cornelius in the 20th Century (1976)
The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius: Stories of the Comic Apocalypse (1976)
3. The Condition of Muzak (1977)
The Entropy Tango (1981)
The Opium General (1984)
Firing the Cathedral (2002)
The Cornelius Quartet: The Final Program, a Cure for Cancer, the English Assassin, and the Condition of Muzak (omnibus) (2004)

Karl Glogaver
Behold the Man (1969)

Corum
1. The Knight of the Swords (1971)
2. The Queen of the Swords (1971)
3. The King of the Swords (1971)
4. The Bull and the Spear (1973)
5. The Oak and the Ram (1973)
6. The Sword and the Stallion (1974)
The Chronicles of Corum: The Bull and the Spear. The Oak and the Ram. The Sword and the Stallion (omnibus) (1983)
Swords of Corum: The Knight of the Swords. The Queen of the Swords. The King of the Swords (omnibus) (1986)

Dancers at the End of Time
1. An Alien Heat (1972)
2. The Hollow Lands (1974)
3. The End of All Songs (1976)
4. Legends from the End of Time (1976)
The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming (1977)
A Messiah at the End of Time (1978)
Elric at the End of Time (1984)
Tales from the End of Time (omnibus) (1989)

Count Brass
The Champion of Garathorm (1973)
Count Brass (1973)
The Quest for Tanelorn (1975)

Time of the Hawklords (with Michael Butterworth)
1. The Time of the Hawklords (1976)
2. Queens of Deliria (1977)

Colonel Pyat
1. Byzantium Endures (1981)
2. The Laughter of Carthage (1984)
3. Jerusalem Commands (1992)

Von Bek Family
1. The Warhound and the World's Pain (1981)
2. The Brothel in Rosenstrasse (1982)
3. The City in the Autumn Stars (1986)
Lunching with the Antichrist (1994)

Second Ether
1. Blood (1994)
2. Fabulous Harbours (1995)
3. The War Amongst the Angels (1996)

Bio continued -

Novels
Breakfast in the Ruins (1962)
The Fireclown (1965)
aka The Winds of Limbo
The Sundered Worlds (1965)
aka The Blood Red Game
The Twilight Man (1966)
aka The Shores of Death
The Deep Fix (1966) (writing as James Colvin)
Printer's Devil (1966)
Somewhere in the Night (1966)
The Wrecks of Time (1967)
aka The Rituals of Infinity
The Ice Schooner (1969)
The Time Dweller (1969)
The Black Corridor (1969) (with Hilary Bailey)
The Chinese Agent (1970)
An Alien Heart (1972)
The Distant Suns (1975) (with Philip James)
City of the Beast (1977)
The Golden Barge (1977)
The Condition of Musak (1977)
Gloriana (1978)
aka Gloriana, or the Unfulfill'd Queen
The Real Life Mr Newman (1979)
The Russian Intelligence (1980)
Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle (1980)
The Great Rock and Roll Swindle (1980)
Mother London (1988)
Sailing to Utopia (1993)
King of the City (2000)
Silverheart (2000) (with Storm Constantine)

Collections
The Singing Citidal (1970)
Multi-Dimensional (omnibus) (1975)
Moorcock's Book of Martyrs (1976)
aka Dying for Tomorrow
Sojan (1977)
My Experiences in the Third World War (1980)
The Prince with the Silver Hand (1993)
Tales from the Texas Woods (1997)
The Dancers at the End of Time (omnibus) (1998)
London Bone (2000)
The History of the Runestaff (omnibus) (2003)
Cities (2003) (with Peter Crowther, Paul Di Filippo, China Miéville and Geoff Ryman)
Breaking Windows: A Fantastic Metropolis Sampler (2003) (with Barrington J Bayley, China Miéville, James Sallis and Jeff VanderMeer)

Anthologies edited
Best SF Stories from New Worlds (1969)
New Worlds 6 (1973) (with Charles Platt)
New Worlds (1997) (with David S Garnett)
New Worlds: An Anthology (2004)

Non fiction
Wizardry And Wild Romance: A Study Of Epic Fantasy (1987)
Fantasy : The 100 Best Books (1987) (with James Cawthorn)

Hmmm. I note that you separate Breakfast in the Ruins out from the other Glogauer novel, Behold the Man. I'm curious as to why this is so?

Hmmm! I think that answers my question in the other thread. Breakfast in the Ruins is obviously set before Glogauer takes his trip in the Time Machine.

I thought I'd read a lot of Moorcock but he is phenomenal. I've barely scratched the surface. I've only read about 4 or 5 of the novels and two of the series. BTW I've got the Chronicles of Castle Brass (1986) which you don't mention as a collection.

Hmmm! I think that answers my question in the other thread. Breakfast in the Ruins is obviously set before Glogauer takes his trip in the Time Machine.

Ummm, not really. As I note there, when you're dealing with Moorcock, you aren't dealing with any single timeline or even a single reality -- you're dealing with an ever-burgeoning series of realities which cross-pollinate and intertwine. And Breakfast in the Ruins itself features several different "realities", not only having three concurrent lines of storytelling but even (within one of those) multiple existences which Glogauer lived, is living, or will live... somewhere.....

I thought I'd read a lot of Moorcock but he is phenomenal. I've barely scratched the surface. I've only read about 4 or 5 of the novels and two of the series. BTW I've got the Chronicles of Castle Brass (1986) which you don't mention as a collection.

Keeping up with Moorcock's different collections of previously-existing work is a monstrous task. However, I drew up a revised list of his work fairly recently, and I'll try to post that this weekend; this may help newcomers to make some headway with the complex interrelationships....

Last edited:
In fairness to Rune who isn't around so much these days, that biblio was probably pulled off Fantastic Fiction UK or another bio site.

I agree with everything that's being said here. Moorcock is a gem of the Genre...:)

I presume you're refering to his multiverse view of the world JD?

In fairness to Rune who isn't around so much these days, that biblio was probably pulled off Fantastic Fiction UK or another bio site.

I agree with everything that's being said here. Moorcock is a gem of the Genre...:)

I presume you're refering to his multiverse view of the world JD?

Or of the universe....:D

And no disrespect to Rune intended. As I said, keeping up with Moorcock's proliferation of works is darned near a full-time job, although it's true he's slowed down just a tad in the last 10 years or so (not turning out 15-20 books a year, at any rate....:p Remember, this is the man who wrote the Michael Kane trilogy in a week....) What is surprising is how high quality a good chunk of his work is, given the speed at which he turned it out. And even his lesser work is chock full of fascinating ideas and speculations, not to mention meaty philosophical points to consider, often almost seeming to be "throwaway" ideas, but which are not infrequently actually the linchpin on which the book hinges....

Reminds me a little of Steven Erikson, which reminds me are you going to catch up with his work soon? I sent Nesa the first 6 books and she really liked them!

Reminds me a little of Steven Erikson, which reminds me are you going to catch up with his work soon? I sent Nesa the first 6 books and she really liked them!

To be honest, I don't see me stepping very much outside my reading for my own research (which, I will admit, covers a pretty broad span of things) for the next six years or so. An occasional exception, but even those are pretty much accounted for; not many, and not close together.... (I'd put on a "frown" face here, but the fact is that I'm quite enjoying the stuff I'm doing; so, while I'm not happy about not getting to read other things, I can't say I'm entirely upset about it, either....)

To be honest, I don't see me stepping very much outside my reading for my own research (which, I will admit, covers a pretty broad span of things) for the next six years or so. An occasional exception, but even those are pretty much accounted for; not many, and not close together.... (I'd put on a "frown" face here, but the fact is that I'm quite enjoying the stuff I'm doing; so, while I'm not happy about not getting to read other things, I can't say I'm entirely upset about it, either....)
Yes but you really don't know what you're missing in this case....:rolleyes:

No mention of The Traps of Time, the collection of short stories Moorcock edited for Penguin?

Actually, the Penguin was a reprint (if my sources are correct). It was originally published by Rapp & Whiting, in 1968. (I need to revisit the biblio I did some years ago, and update it... *sigh*)

Variations:
Queens of Deliria was credited to Butterworth only.
I seem to remember there were a few Moorcock Stories in The Nature of the Catastrophe (several different versions) which was essentially a collection of Cornelius stories by other writers.

Missed this until just now. Yes, the original edition (Hutchinson & Co., 1971) contained only "The Nature of the Catastrophe", "Sea Wolves", "The Tank Trapeze", "The Delhi Division", and "The Sunset Perspective", in addition to selections from "The Adventures of Jerry Cornelius" (comic strip), whereas The New Nature of the Catastrophe had several more, the entire strip (split into segments throughout), and with the mass market edition (iirc) even yet another Moorcock story, written in the span between the original trade and later mass market edition, was added....