Using material from Nation States

Unmentionable

A while back, I was a semi-prolific writer at Nation States. Do you think it would be wise to use the characters and settings from there (without of course taking other people's stuff)?

I would take what was learned and extrapolate.

Though I've no Idea what you mean with Nation States unless its the game and I've no idea how one is a semi-prolific writer in a game.

But if this is a game then I'd steer clear of references that would belong to Max Barry; which could be just about everything depending on the wording of the contract you sign when joining.

If it is written by most common practice and since this comes from his creation there is a large possibility that everything is his to use and everything that is yours is yours without the surrounding parts that are intrinsically his.

If that makes any sense.

I've no idea how the nation states thing works, so whether you design characters and locales from scratch or you develop templates already provided. In the latter event, the company might well retain copyright over everything, which would prevent your using the stuff elsewhere. You really need to read the rules/terms and conditions you signed up to when you joined which should confirm whether anything you create or part-create within the project remains yours or whether you are deemed to have assigned copyright to the owners of the whatever-it-is.

Personally, though, even if I retained copyright, I think I'd go on and develop new characters and new settings rather than revisit old ones.