Has Hollywood become too Dependent On Blockbuster films?

Not really.

Not that they're not out there, but because how good an actor I no longer matters - as long as they're good-looking and popular, the studios want them - even for roles they're so obviously not fit for!

Then the movie moguls are really stupid. If ditched star power and substituted good acting and writing, they could actually keep more of the profits because they won't have to shell out the money to the movie star hacks. Good films would also better insure a steady audience . If you give people a good movie with good actors na stories, they'll come to the theaters.

The outrageous sums of money spent on name actors is one thing, but it's the massive use of CGI that lets down most films for me. It seems Hollywood uses massive explosions to distract the audience from the lack of story. People kept telling me how great Wonder Woman was, but when I finally got to see it (for free) it was very ho-hum and bland. There was nothing very interesting going on and I don't know what all the fuss was about.

They would have been better off giving us a great story and fewer, over long set pieces that add little to nothing to the plot.

I'd have to disagree. I thought it was pretty good movie with some good lines, storyline, and some good cinematic effects but really not too much. I thought it helped emphasize how ambiguous the human focus on good vs. evil and right vs. wrong were. Or maybe that's just me trying to justify my flimsy moral standards. :)

That said, Wonder Woman was touted to me as being a breakthrough movie for feminists. I really didn't see that when compared to other movies with strong female leads like.... maybe so maybe they had a point. :D

Then the movie moguls are really stupid. If ditched star power and substituted good acting and writing, they could actually keep more of the profits because they won't have to shell out the money to the movie star hacks. Good films would also better insure a steady audience . If you give people a good movie with good actors na stories, they'll come to the theaters.

I think you're being overly optimistic. A sophisticated person, and moreover a writerly type person who enjoys plot and story over eye candy, will enjoy such a film. I think the point for star-studded casts is that people, basically literally, worship these stars, and so movies devoid of them fail to render something nearly akin to a religious experience. *prepares for incoming rotten fruit*

I think you're being overly optimistic. A sophisticated person, and moreover a writerly type person who enjoys plot and story over eye candy, will enjoy such a film. I think the point for star-studded casts is that people, basically literally, worship these stars, and so movies devoid of them fail to render something nearly akin to a religious experience. *prepares for incoming rotten fruit*

Ive long since lost my respect for Movie stars, They are way overpaid and any many of them don't have great acting skills or even good acting skills.

Last edited:
If you replaced the acts in the movies with life like animatronic dummies, the audience probably wouldn't notice.:D

If anyone has already commented on this, my apologies for arriving so late to the party.

Has anyone ever noticed the slew of films that get released between November and early February are all in a genre that I like to call 'Oscar Fodder'?

You take a director who has successfully made a few franchise blockbusters i.e. Christopher Nolan; add a few stars whose acting is thought better than average (maybe having starred in a blockbuster franchise) i.e. Christian Bale or Leonardo Dicaprio; and the studios will chuck heaps of cash at an original idea in the hopes it wins best film or best director or best actor.

American Hustle was a good example of an Oscar Fodder film...

To this day , In still at a loss as to how Fames Cameron's film Titanic won best picture .:unsure:

To me, Titanic was the example that Hollywood executives are too scared to try new things. And yes, older versions were far better acted!

On another note: I have no problems with DiCaprio's acting: But that face! It's like watching a six-month old talk like an adult! It's distracting, and makes me wonder why it attracts grown women?

To me, Titanic was the example that Hollywood executives are too scared to try new things. And yes, older versions were far better acted!

On another note: I have no problems with DiCaprio's acting: But that face! It's like watching a six-month old talk like an adult! It's distracting, and makes me wonder why it attracts grown women?

A Night to Remember directed by Roy Ward Baker by far the best Titanic movie.(y)

Last edited:
And we have more superhero films on the horizon.:eek:

Ok, can't post a link on this device but chuck this into a google video search:

The nerd crew episode 6

I think it perfectly and hilariously makes the point

Soon the next Star War film will be upon us. :cool:(y)