What hooked you on the Wheel of Time?

Shams

I've always wanted to pick this series up, as I've read a lot of other similar literature since I as a child. But, when I tried to read it as a teenager, I didn't think the setting was original enough and opted for other works that drew less heavily from Tolkien.

Given that it's so large, and, if i get hooked, it'll devour hundreds of hours of my life, I wanted to ask the opinion of some fans before I picked it up after so many years.

What got you hooked on it? And also, what have you gained form reading the series? Just entertainment, or something more?

For me the world that Jordan created was just amazing in how well the various elements came together over a long story arc. Many times I have finished a series and wanted to read more about the world that was created, you won't have that problem with Wheel. A fair amount of people don't like the later volumes, but I read every one and enjoyed them, although the first ones are best, I'll agree. Nothing more than entertainment for me came out of reading them.

For me the world that Jordan created was just amazing in how well the various elements came together over a long story arc. Many times I have finished a series and wanted to read more about the world that was created, you won't have that problem with Wheel. A fair amount of people don't like the later volumes, but I read every one and enjoyed them, although the first ones are best, I'll agree. Nothing more than entertainment for me came out of reading them.

Thanks - That is a main draw- the fact that the story was carried through such a long arc.

For me, (although I didn't realise it at the time, we're talking a lot of years ago!) it was the 'diversity' of the group. In other words it had girls on board for the adventure too. I think , however, if I had borrowed the first book rather than the second to read originally I may not have been so hooked.

It is a long arc and one day, I might well read from the beginning, as I am sure so much more will connect without a year's (+) wait between installments. I still haven't read the last book.

Thanks, Milly and Will. A diverse cast is also a big draw. There is a lot to like about it. But, with all of the other, contemporary pieces sitting unread on my shelves, is it worth the time? I think that I need to read the first book. It's such a big staple of this genre that I love, I can't afford not to.