Marvel's Daredevil

Just an episode to go now and what can I say? If Netflix can keep this level of quality up with AKA Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, then there is some damn fine viewing in the foreseeable future.

I did wonder whether it would be necessary to have a thread per episode, but this is due to the way Netflix have decided to 'broadcast' it it seems a bit redundant. The whole series sitting there waiting to be viewed in one go....

So this is part of the Marvel screen Universe, occupying the same space as their blockbuster movies and the Agents of SHIELD. Although the latter has really turned around and become almost gripping television in it's own right, there is still that element of glossy, larger than life fantasy to it.

This is something Daredevil has has left behind. It really is street level superheros, not only appearing to be more realistic, but grittier. In the big screen epics we get to see the superstars, here we get those who work on a human level. What they do is no less important, but is more relatable.

The casting has been exemplary across the board. Foggy and the Kingpin could have stepped right out of the comic books, with Matt not far behind, especially down to his body language. Ben Urich might not be white as he is in the comics, but he just feels right in the part, there is that downheeled grittiness that speaks of an old schooled journalist, while Karen Page seems like a fresh character, almost stepping away from her four colour roots.

This first season draws on a lot of the Frank Miller/John Romita Jr origin story, the Man Without Fear, but it draws from the fifty years of comic book history as needed, merging it with original material giving a deeply involved whole. I saw it noted somewhere that Netflix intended DD to be seen as one, long 13 hour movie, and in many ways that is exactly what it is.

Very much enjoying it. I know little about this hero aside from what I saw in the dreadful Affleck version. So, it's nice coming into a new story and character without knowing a whole lot about it.

I've watched 2 episodes so far and was really captured. At the end of episode 2, there is an amazing combat sequence. It's one, long, continuous shot. I can't even imagine how difficult that is to pull off with the choreography involved. When I first watched it last night, it reached the end and I asked Mr. Zombie if that was "one long shot." He said he thought so. Sure enough, when I looked today . . . confirmation.

And it was SIX MINUTES LONG.

It took 24 hours. 12 "takes." They only managed to get all the way through it three times.

Here is a writeup about it.

What is so amazing about this scene is that you can see the hero getting tired, fatigued. He's not the guy with perfectly placed hair, who isn't breaking a sweat. He's hurting. I imagine the actor slept well that night.

Thats what made DD my fav hero, in the comics he only had his fighting ability,his sheer of will. I couldnt love uber powerful, godlike superheroes when DD is just getting bloody to get the job done.

This awesome series captured that so well in that brutal fight scene. Pretty impressive how they did Oldboy style brutal corridor fightscene. Apparenly Cox was good enough that they used so much of him other than the double who did the awesome flips, acrobatics. Apparently Cox also decided the way DD fought as blind since he has his own ideas of Matt moved blind, fought as blind man.

Last edited:
Just an episode to go now and what can I say? If Netflix can keep this level of quality up with AKA Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, then there is some damn fine viewing in the foreseeable future.

I did wonder whether it would be necessary to have a thread per episode, but this is due to the way Netflix have decided to 'broadcast' it it seems a bit redundant. The whole series sitting there waiting to be viewed in one go....

So this is part of the Marvel screen Universe, occupying the same space as their blockbuster movies and the Agents of SHIELD. Although the latter has really turned around and become almost gripping television in it's own right, there is still that element of glossy, larger than life fantasy to it.

This is something Daredevil has has left behind. It really is street level superheros, not only appearing to be more realistic, but grittier. In the big screen epics we get to see the superstars, here we get those who work on a human level. What they do is no less important, but is more relatable.

The casting has been exemplary across the board. Foggy and the Kingpin could have stepped right out of the comic books, with Matt not far behind, especially down to his body language. Ben Urich might not be white as he is in the comics, but he just feels right in the part, there is that downheeled grittiness that speaks of an old schooled journalist, while Karen Page seems like a fresh character, almost stepping away from her four colour roots.

This first season draws on a lot of the Frank Miller/John Romita Jr origin story, the Man Without Fear, but it draws from the fifty years of comic book history as needed, merging it with original material giving a deeply involved whole. I saw it noted somewhere that Netflix intended DD to be seen as one, long 13 hour movie, and in many ways that is exactly what it is.

I have high hopes for other Netflix/Marvel superhero shows now if they have as much budget,freedom and quality marvel writing as DD.

Because Daredevil tv show would be never near this good on regular networks budgets, tv constraint. Netflix,Marvel and co gave alot to DD budget wise, the cable like freedom of Netflix made sure it didnt look limited tv show like Arrow. It looked like 13 hour long movie for a reason.

I just saw the last ep and even in costume DD looked perfect, already im in deep longing, pain waiting for Season 2.

Not to diss the awesome blockbusters superhero movies of Marvel but DD as tv show was much more closer to serialized storytelling,darker Marvel world than any of their films come close to in recent years. Avengers, Guardians of the galaxy are cosmic marvel, over the top fun but most other single hero famous MU comics are as dark,gritty as DD.

I think my favourite Marvel superheroes on screen right now may well be Captain America (Chris Evans makes him so much more than a boy scout), Daredevil (Charlie Cox is a revelation), and Black Widow (the most badass Marvel female superhero currently on screen). And I'm looking forward to the new Avengers film.

Fingers crossed that the rest of the upcoming Netflix-Marvel collaborations are as good as Daredevil!

As for DC: I am positively DREADING the upcoming Batman vs Superman film. Apart from The Flash and Christopher Nolan's take on Batman, DC can't seem to get their adaptations on screen quite right.

Really happy to see the show is coming back for a second season, the first was very very good. A couple of minor issues with the finale, though.
Spoilers ahead!!!!!!!!!!!

First, the scene on the bridge where Kingpin gets rescued. How is it on TV and the NYC ESU doesn't have 100 swat guys there? That handful of crooks would have been overwhelmed in minutes.

Second, how the heck does Daredevil follow Kingpin more than 1 block running across roofs? Can he leap across avenues?

Besides those 2 glaring impossibilities it was a good episode, and the series overall was great.

Really happy to see the show is coming back for a second season, the first was very very good. A couple of minor issues with the finale, though.
Spoilers ahead!!!!!!!!!!!

You can hide your spoilers with the spoiler command in brackets at the start and end of your spoiler.

I totally agree on what you said re the minor blips.

Right now, I'm still running around going: "There's going to be a season 2! YEAH! Now only if they'd renew Constantine too..."

You can hide your spoilers with the spoiler command in brackets at the start and end of your spoiler.

I totally agree on what you said re the minor blips.

Right now, I'm still running around going: "There's going to be a season 2! YEAH! Now only if they'd renew Constantine too..."

Wrote that reply from my phone using Tapatalk, it's a little difficult to do spoilers the right way from there :(. Oh, Constantine, why don't you come to Netflix?

When I first heard who was going to be cast as Daredevil I was like who is this Charlie Cox guy? I've known him in a little part in Downton Abbey and that was it. Each time I hear his name, I had to look him up forgetting where I know him from. So needless to say, I was very impressed with that casting. I still have trouble understanding what Daredevil actually wants in the show.

Vincent D'onofrio is awesome as Fisk! Plus the international cast is amazing. The Russians are great. They are already calling him The Devil. It's the only show/movie I've ever seen that has shown how cultural NYC is. Without it being in your face.

I just finished Episode 7 and it's getting difficult for me anyway to tell the difference between Fisk and The Man in Black. Sure Fisk is shady, but I haven't yet seen him doing much of anything, except moving money around. Sure he busts a guy's head in his door, and he may be crazy for doing so. But how is The Man in Black any different? Just because he "doesn't kill people?" Kill being used very, very loosely here. In reality they both are taking the law into their own hands, and I for one am not one to cheer for vigilantes in real life. Understanding all too well that men like Fisk will always exist.

I hope the difference between the two becomes clearer in the next coming episodes. I think The Man in Black feels a lot like Batman in Nolan's movies, but I think Batman had a clearer mission and a more immediate threat. Even Toby McGuire's Spiderman had clearer reasons for doing what he was doing. So Daredevil for me hasn't exactly cleared this little bit up, but I love the series and almost don't care that it's been a little bit overlooked. With the "destruction of New York," just being sloppily written in there. Seemingly as a lame excuse.

Last edited:
When I first heard who was going to be cast as Daredevil I was like who is this Charlie Cox guy? I've known him in a little part in Downton Abbey and that was it. Each time I hear his name, I had to look him up forgetting where I know him from. So needless to say, I was very impressed with that casting. I still have trouble understanding what Daredevil actually wants in the show.

Vincent D'onofrio is awesome as Fisk! Plus the international cast is amazing. The Russians are great. They are already calling him The Devil. It's the only show/movie I've ever seen that has shown how cultural NYC is. Without it being in your face.

I just finished Episode 7 and it's getting difficult for me anyway to tell the difference between Fisk and The Man in Black. Sure Fisk is shady, but I haven't yet seen him doing much of anything, except moving money around. Sure he busts a guy's head in his door, and he may be crazy for doing so. But how is The Man in Black any different? Just because he "doesn't kill people?" Kill being used very, very loosely here. In reality they both are taking the law into their own hands, and I for one am not one to cheer for vigilantes in real life. Understanding all too well that men like Fisk will always exist.

I hope the difference between the two becomes clearer in the next coming episodes. I think The Man in Black feels a lot like Batman in Nolan's movies, but I think Batman had a clearer mission and a more immediate threat. Even Toby McGuire's Spiderman had clearer reasons for doing what he was doing. So Daredevil for me hasn't exactly cleared this little bit up, but I love the series and almost don't care that it's been a little bit overlooked. With the "destruction of New York," just being sloppily written in there. Seemingly as a lame excuse.

This Spoiler is for when you are done with the season, the last ep of the season.

This season was Year One Frank Miller story, style of DD.

He did the same thing with that story of early DD as he did with Batman Year One. Young angry man becoming vigilante, more for revenge reasons than heroic superhero reasons. Batman, DD are dark noir,street level heroes and i like that DD tv show took Matt to dark places from the start just like the classic DD stories from 80s,90s. Season 2 im sure will be about just like the last ep 13 of the season. The suit means he is trying to become a hero, a good symbol for people to believe in. He cant be bloody, brutal vigilante anymore. Thats just his rough start.

It has not been overlooked because all the producers are Marvel old school writers who knows the modern classic DD stories they are following well. They must leave something for season 2-3. If you are old time DD fan like me someone who is reading collections of early Frank Miller, other modern important DD stories you can see where their plans are heading. Daredevil has been dark,street level hero since 1978-1979 when Frank Miller, Jansen, co started their run. He isnt Spiderman who id nerd,avreage guy and wisecracking superhero with over the top villains. He is more street crime with Kingpin, other gangster villains and some few Ninja villains. The guys great comics history of stories is filled of tragic, very dark noirish stories. This season captured that perfectly.
I love the ambitious plan to adapt well everything that makes DD great comic series when has been at its best. They have many runs,stories to copy, choose.

LOVING Daredevil! Great cast (loving Cox in particular; Foggy is a great comic sidekick!). The show is very dark...there are some disturbing violence-related images (bones broken-in-fights protruding from various body parts...oy, that always unnerves me!). But it's really compelling television. And OMG, that hallway fight at the end of the second show was stunning in its choreography, and gut-wrenching you-are-there sort of feeling! I honestly think that was the best fight scene I have ever seen in a heroes-type movie or television show. It was amazingly effective. I'm on show 7, and am so excited to see the rest of the series! :)

LOVING Daredevil! Great cast (loving Cox in particular; Foggy is a great comic sidekick!).

I think Cox has always been an underrated actor until now. He was in Stardust (which was very fun!) and Boardwalk Empire (which was very violent... or so I hear). He was even in Downton Abbey and The Theory Of Everything and people still couldn't quite remember him... until Daredevil.

And yes - that hallway fight scene at the end of episode 2 was EPIC!

He was in Stardust (which was very fun!)
Yes! I had looked him up earlier today on IMDB, and I was shocked to discover he was the young man from Stardust! (An enjoyable film, and a terrific book.)

Okay, now I must look him up again to discover what role he played on Downton Abbey! :)

This Spoiler is for when you are done with the season, the last ep of the season.

This season was Year One Frank Miller story, style of DD.

He did the same thing with that story of early DD as he did with Batman Year One. Young angry man becoming vigilante, more for revenge reasons than heroic superhero reasons. Batman, DD are dark noir,street level heroes and i like that DD tv show took Matt to dark places from the start just like the classic DD stories from 80s,90s. Season 2 im sure will be about just like the last ep 13 of the season. The suit means he is trying to become a hero, a good symbol for people to believe in. He cant be bloody, brutal vigilante anymore. Thats just his rough start.

It has not been overlooked because all the producers are Marvel old school writers who knows the modern classic DD stories they are following well. They must leave something for season 2-3. If you are old time DD fan like me someone who is reading collections of early Frank Miller, other modern important DD stories you can see where their plans are heading. Daredevil has been dark,street level hero since 1978-1979 when Frank Miller, Jansen, co started their run. He isnt Spiderman who id nerd,avreage guy and wisecracking superhero with over the top villains. He is more street crime with Kingpin, other gangster villains and some few Ninja villains. The guys great comics history of stories is filled of tragic, very dark noirish stories. This season captured that perfectly.
I love the ambitious plan to adapt well everything that makes DD great comic series when has been at its best. They have many runs,stories to copy, choose.

Well as long as it is supposed to be that way, then it's all good on my end. Episode eight focused more on Fisk's backstory so at least we have something to work with now.
NO worries, I knew The Man in Black dons the outfit in the end. It's kinda hard to not know with the picture spreading around social media like wildfire.

Everything Fisk is doing still seems justified to me considering where he came from. Does anyone else feel sorry/compassion for him?

I have a question:

Am I imagining things that at the end of the final episode, when Matt holds out his hand to Karen, that look on Karen's face says "I'm realising that I'm starting to fall in love with you..."?

Bluestocking, I think your imagination is spot on. The tenement rental case scenes spring to mind. An awful lot of 'show, don't tell' going on in the writing & acting.

I've had a bit of time to think things through now, and I'm going to say something that disagrees with the popular opinion. Sort of.

I did not like the end of the series. :eek:

Don't get me wrong, taken as is I think the show is probably up there with the best on television and the fact we already have confirmation of a second season is fantastic but...

I wanted to see the Kingpin get away. He is meant to be a powerful force working in the background for years. Of course he has his run ins with Daredevil and others over the years, but the general opinion of him is that he is a successful business man. In the definitive Daredevil story, Born Again - something I believe the writers are working toward - he actually talks (by caption) of how he is going to let go of all the crime, step out into the light as the business man everyone thinks he is.

I genuinely thought that we were going to see two stories running concurrently, Matt's rise to Daredevil and Fisk into becoming the Kingpin. As each of his allies was weakened and removed the space at the top became bigger, waiting for a single figure to step into it. Fisk could have had his hands metaphorically slapped by DD, setting up an ongoing feud, with him in the background pulling strings. Instead we see him beaten and in prison which neuters his effectiveness in the future. Not only has he been beaten, but everyone knows he is the bad guy. (This would even have allowed him to have a run in with Spidey now that the deal has been struck with Sony.)

I appreciate why the writers ended it the way it did, they needed to have a definitive end in case there were no more. Just a missed opportunity and if they do head for the Born Again storyline - possibly for a movie - it takes some of the power out of the duel between DD and the Kingpin.

Love the costume, but not the mask (although it may be the lighting) one can see Matt's eyes, it be much more effective if you couldn't.