Marvel's Daredevil

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
Has anyone else started watching this series?

I've just finished episodes 1 and 2 and my verdict so far is:

Charlie Cox as Daredevil = 10,000 times better than Ben Affleck as Daredevil.

This is on my list to try out. To be fair, though, I reckon I would be better than Affleck as Daredevil and I've never acted in my life and I'm female.

I've just reached episode 4.

So here we go:

Daredevil is one of the characters that can be traced nearly back to the start of the Marvel Universe. Creation is credited to Stan Lee (of course) and Bill Everett. As with a lot of Marvel characters he has a tragic backstory, in many ways tied into the time in which he was created, young Matthew (Matt) Murdock selflessly saves an old man by pushing him out of the way of an oncoming, out of control truck. In doing so he is splashed in the face by some of the radioactive waste the vehicle is carrying and is blinded. However while the chemicals may have taken his vision they enhance his other senses to a abnormal degree, allowing him to 'see' with a form or radar. When his father, a two-bit prize-fighter is killed by mobsters, the young orphan grows up in the system, becoming a lawyer, but also deciding to fight crime as the costumed vigilante Daredevil.

daredevil_zps44da4378.png
In many ways Daredevil was very much a low budget Spider-man, a figure that swung across the rooftops of Hell's Kitchen in New York, light-hearted and wisecracking. The original costume did not last long, soon replaced by the more familiar red one.

DD.jpg

Over the titles long initial run a number of writers and artists told tales of the character, but outside of Lee no-one really had any idea of where the character should go. (Lee cites issue 53(?) his last issue as being the best and his favourite story he ever produced.) In the late 70's Daredevil was taken over by writer R McKenzie who started taking DD in a darker, noirish direction. He was joined by an artist named Frank Miller, who despite pouring his heart and soul into the title disliked the way the story was going and threatened to quit the title. The comic was failing anyway and was heading toward cancellation, realising there was nothing to lose newly promoted editor in chief Jim Shooter fired McKenzie and handed the writing duties to Miller. The rest as they say, is history.

Within three issues Miller turned the comic around, having it returned to monthly status and although he retrofitted a lot of continuity he turned the character from a 'light; hero into a dark almost tortured character. After Miller left the title the character remained dark, but it was Miller's return for the epic Born Again storyline that truly defined the character. Although many other writers followed with excellent stories, it is Miller's run that set the bar for the character, and it is this combined with his Man Without Fear limited series (with John Romita Jr.) that forms a lot of the DNA for the new series

Just finished it - hands down one of the best things to come out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (and by far the best of its three television series).

The restraint the writers showed is incredible. Rather than setting Murdock up as Daredevil at the end of the first episode (or, failing that, at the end of the second half of the double-length pilot), as you'd expect other superhero shows to do, it's not until the final five minutes of the first series that he's named, and it's only about five minutes previous that we finally see the red suit.

Similarly, Wilson Fisk spends the series as...drum roll...Wilson Fisk. The only inkling of Kingpin is the murderous stare Fisk gives his cell wall right at the end, as he thinks back to his father telling him to "stare at that wall and think of the man you want to become".

Everything is given time to breathe, time to develop at its own pace, and I think that's what makes the series so good. Rather than Daredevil being just another superhero series in which the titular character fights a shadowy organisation and repeatedly foils their weekly plots, we've got a compelling crime drama chronicling the back and forth between two grey sides (not just one-note sides, either - fully drawn and explored sides, with real motivations, and believable reasons for those motivations) striving for the same goal.

Watched the first episode and was fairly impressed. I like the tone of it so far, and the actors feel like they'll work well together. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

We've watched the first two episodes and I'm really liking it. Not only it is darker and more realistic (I really like his basic costume - actually a nod to the 'work in progress' costume that Miller drew in his Man without Fear series) but it has a decent storytelling aspect. The fight scenes are pretty good and the tone is perfect.
Really looking forward to watching the rest of this series. That's two marvel programs that have me in their thrall now. :)

Getting left behind here....

It can escape no-one's attention that the MARVEL cinematic universe has been a huge success, and it is something that they have tried to translate to television. Initially it was with a traditional format series, Agents of SHIELD and although it has become addictive television it started badly, even blandly and might not recover from that lackluster start. There were reasons for this, but it might not recover. Similarly Agent Carter was a wonderful 8 part drama, and that seems to have suffered in the ratings too. It's a shame, because both series tie into the greater live action universe and one has grown into itself, the other was excellent from the get go, but when it comes to traditional television DC seems to know what they are doing, with Arrow and The Flash leading the way.

However episodic viewing is undergoing a revolution these days, with the ability to download boxsets - whole series to watch at your leisure, subscription networks like HBO all providing quality television. And with the advent of faster broadband speed, higher quality streaming, new 'streaming' networks, where a subscription fee gives a viewer the choice and access to countless classic television programs from the past, it was only a matter of time for them to try their hand at original programming.

So it was that Netflix struck a deal with MARVEL to add to the film universe. Given access to more 'ground level' lesser known heroes, the biggest of which was Daredevil, Netflix were able to create four series featuring the characters DD, Power Man, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones, culminating in a limited series The Defenders seeing all these characters come together as a team, (Avengers for the small screen).

But there is more to it than this, although part of the same Universe that houses Iron Man and Co. these are more grounded characters, those who outside of the comic reading public, have little or no knowledge of - or in Daredevil's case known for the Ben Afflick movie, something that might need a bit of excising.

So, they hit the small screen with Daredevil leading the way.

I've only seen the first two episodes, and there's a lot to like about it. :D It has a feel of something so much deeper and darker than the 'higher profile' heroes.

As Netflix customer, Daredevil being the reason i enjoy superhero comics, being my alltime fav hero, Frank Miller being almost holy no matter what he has become since im glad to hear your postive comments, reviews. I have counted the days until DD came on Netflix and off to watch it now :D

As huge fan of DD comics i hated Ben Affleck film with every bone in my body. It always annoyed me Thor,Iron Man, Hulk all the lesser marvel superheros in terms classic alltime great superhero stories has had famous films but DD nothing for real until now. In Marvel comics history those heroes dont have Frank Miller seminal run stories like Born Again, Man without Fear.

Watching episode 3 now. I always think the title looks like it says Dared Evil, or even Da red evil but i prefer the first misreading.
This series had tried to link into the greater marvel universe with a few mentions of how everyone saw new York get destroyed but you'd almost need to know this and listen out for it rather than easily tying this to the films.
Still rather good though.

Watching episode 3 now. I always think the title looks like it says Dared Evil, or even Da red evil but i prefer the first misreading.
This series had tried to link into the greater marvel universe with a few mentions of how everyone saw new York get destroyed but you'd almost need to know this and listen out for it rather than easily tying this to the films.
Still rather good though.

I just saw 1-6 in a row. I have been reading the DD monthly comics since 2005 so its cool to see them linking MU with New York destroyed and there is other clearer signs after ep 3.

Its almost flawless as an adaptation of DD comics and im so glad there is no DD film because the tv show looks film like but the tv storytelling goes deeper into the story, the characters much better with good writing than even the best 2 hours of Marvel superhero film can do. Just liek the comics with the best creators have a whole year of issues to tell their stories.

The action is great, DD looks like a trained martial arts like in the comics but its clear its new for Matt being DD. Its his origin story so far,he can become better fighter, smarter superhero detective. Frankly its written much better than i expected. I wasnt sure Marvel could do tv show as great as some of their best films. Cox is perfect as Matt/DD. He is young enough to be starting the story, he is strong as DD, charming ladies man, smart lawyer just like in the comics.

Did Episode 4 tonight

That Fisk has got a temper, really believable and how he seemed vulnerable when asking out Vanessa was great

This is really growing on me, I can see why it has 5 full stars on Netflix, I expect that will drop, but really loving this.
For those of us without Sky who have to wait an entire year for GOT S5 this will fill that gap nicely.
Due to our baby being 7months old (today) we only get 1 episode in a night. I'm so eager to watch more but this is enjoying it slightly slower.

Who'd have thought that Charlie Cox would be an outstanding superhero?

He's an excellent actor all round and he leads a stellar cast.

Also, I found out that the showrunner, Stephen DeKnight, is a Buffy production team alum. It may partly explain the excellence in storytelling.

Very much enjoying it. I know little about this hero aside from what I saw in the dreadful Affleck version. So, it's nice coming into a new story and character without knowing a whole lot about it.

I've watched 2 episodes so far and was really captured. At the end of episode 2, there is an amazing combat sequence. It's one, long, continuous shot. I can't even imagine how difficult that is to pull off with the choreography involved. When I first watched it last night, it reached the end and I asked Mr. Zombie if that was "one long shot." He said he thought so. Sure enough, when I looked today . . . confirmation.

And it was SIX MINUTES LONG.

It took 24 hours. 12 "takes." They only managed to get all the way through it three times.

Here is a writeup about it.

What is so amazing about this scene is that you can see the hero getting tired, fatigued. He's not the guy with perfectly placed hair, who isn't breaking a sweat. He's hurting. I imagine the actor slept well that night.

Got up to episode 6 tonight, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Never read any of the comics so it's all new to me. There's nothing about the show that I don't like-excellent acting, good story lines, and the dark mood is perfect.

Very much enjoying it. I know little about this hero aside from what I saw in the dreadful Affleck version. So, it's nice coming into a new story and character without knowing a whole lot about it.

I've watched 2 episodes so far and was really captured. At the end of episode 2, there is an amazing combat sequence. It's one, long, continuous shot. I can't even imagine how difficult that is to pull off with the choreography involved. When I first watched it last night, it reached the end and I asked Mr. Zombie if that was "one long shot." He said he thought so. Sure enough, when I looked today . . . confirmation.

And it was SIX MINUTES LONG.

It took 24 hours. 12 "takes." They only managed to get all the way through it three times.

Here is a writeup about it.

What is so amazing about this scene is that you can see the hero getting tired, fatigued. He's not the guy with perfectly placed hair, who isn't breaking a sweat. He's hurting. I imagine the actor slept well that night.

I imagine it must've been an additional challenge to Cox to do his fight scenes with that black mask covering his eyes too.

It was amazing!