Abendau's Heir discussion

I finished this just the other day and I was very impressed.

At the start of the book I wasn't too enthralled, it felt like high fantasy in space - although this isn't really fair as some of the best SF (Dune) has similar set up. I realised that I don't often read SF written by women, through no obvious choice, but thinking back most of what I read is written by men, and it seemed obvious to me when reading Abendau's heir that it was written by a woman. I persisted because I know Springs (I refuse to call her Jo) and after getting past what seemed like a lot of cliché tropes I really got into the characters.

That is what this book excels at, and Springs herself, writing characters and giving genuine motivations and thought processes to them. Reading this will have an effect on my own writing because I realise its something I completely fail at. By the start of the second half of the book I was really quite invested in Kare and his story, I realised I was genuinely enjoying the read and was being taken on an emotional journey through the book. What happened in the last act really shocked me, Springs maybe a woman and interested in feelings and all that but my oh my she has a dark side. I think I finished a few chapters (I also like short chapters so well done there) and put the book down and said to my wife - 'well that got dark'. I think I said something similar over the next three nights as it continued to get darker and darker. By the time I got to the end I needed to be reading in full daylight the book was so dark!!! ;)

I really am keen to read on and find out what happens next.

Oooh, thanks so much, @Moonbat (and Kerry.) yes, my dark side has showed itself. Fortunately, it appears only when I'm writing. :D

Interesting you mention that it read like a woman had written it. A couple of people have said that now. I'm taking it as a good thing. :)

And, yes, the tropes are a risk. But since I'm essentially wanting to explore one of the classic tropes (or challenge it, more accurately) I think it had to read like the classic set up. I'm glad you kept going! And that you like the characters enough to want to read on. That's everything for me, really. :)

Interesting you mention that it read like a woman had written it
Sonly would nearly be a more believable MC / POV, but I'm only 60% through.
Or if Kare had died and Karia survived.
Partly though I think Women are better at discussing stuff and how they feel (though it might sometimes be misdirection) and men grunt into beer cans while watching "Sport" on TV.
However I've written four books now with a woman as MC / main POV. So I should shut up. It's easier than a really Alien POV as most of use that are older do know at least a couple of people of opposite sex very well. Maybe I just like women better than men.

/me runs off and hides.

[Edit: missing ) ]

Last edited:
Sonly would nearly be a more believable MC / POV, but I'm only 60% through.
Or if Kare had died and Karia survived.
Partly though I think Women are better at discussing stuff and how they feel (though it might sometimes be misdirection) and men grunt into beer cans while watching "Sport" on TV.
However I've written four books now with a woman as MC / main POV. So I should shut up. It's easier than a really Alien POV as most of use that are older do know at least a couple of people of opposite sex very well. Maybe I just like women better than men.

/me runs off and hides.

[Edit: missing ) ]

I've written four books with a male pov and two with a female pov, and tend more towards the female pov these days. I'm not sure whether women are more open at expressing feelings, but I think they sometimes use different vehicles to do so. But, of course, it depends on the woman/man de nada, de nada.... :)

I think, by book three, the betas have fed back that Abendau becomes very much a shared story with five dominant point of views, two of which are female (and there are at least six female povs across the trilogy.) Whilst Kare is the mc, hopefully it's written very much that all the povs are important. In fact, if it doesn't read as, at least partly, his and Sonly's story, I'd kick myself a little - she's very important. I tried to apply @The Judge 's great advice that each character is a protagonist in their own story, and have a good balance across each of the their stories.

The Kare/Karia thing was talked about earlier in the thread, but essentially he is the mc because one of the things I wanted to challenge was the trope of the 'chosen one' and most chosen ones, in genre anyway, have been men. I think that's changing as more female povs come to the fore, but I felt it did something different with the trope than I hoped if I made the mc a woman. (I did consider it, though...)

You have 5 books in stock Jo, I can always order more - I like the idea. Let me know about any succeses.

Are you reading this @TheDustyZebra :)
My local library were delighted with their copy today, and will be putting it out. It seemed a very small thing to do to support the library and, of course, it comes back to TBP in terms of a title on the system and visible. Win. :)

I've finished. The Empress & Empire seemed a bit like Herbert's Harkonen & Bene Genesserit Rev. Mother rolled into one, and Kare a bit like Paul.

Perhaps a dash of Hienlien and McCaffery in there (Ride the Unicorn Psy powers)
(excuse my spelling)

Abendau's Heir makes it to the Hawarden Library. --- They were happy to take your signed first edition.

Abendaus%20Heir.jpg

Unfortunately my photography is not as good as the book deserves. (sad face)

We need more reviews on Amazon.
I agree!

Here's mine:
Abendau's Heir is a character driven space opera. It is a dark tale that is the first of a trilogy. The characters are well defined and the central characters are sympathetic. The story turns on a family with psychic gifts. The conflict is between the Empress, who has ruled an empire with an iron hand. She is able to do this because of her ability to mentally enslave some people and her ruthless pursuit and punishment of all who oppose her. She is opposed by an alliance of planets called the Banned, because they have been banned by the Empress, and by her Son, Kare, who was kidnapped by Kare's father when the father's gift of seeing the future saw what was most likely to result if Kare was allowed to grow up under the Empress' guidance.

The ending of this tale was gripping and fulfilling. It is not a cliff hanger by any stretch, but it does call for a sequel, which is being prepared and should be out later this year. As the book nears it's climax you will find yourself holding your breath waiting for the next unexpected development. I felt the beginning of the novel was strong and set up the conflict well.

If you are looking for military S.F. you will be disappointed because the battle scenes, what there is of them, are really secondary to the internal conflict. If you are looking for techy S.F. you will also be disappointed. Precious little of the tech available is explained. But if you are looking for emotional attachment to characters. If you love true-to-life heroes who are wounded but still struggling in spite of everything, this will be one of the best books you will read this year.

Finished it a few days ago.

Particularly liked the psychological torture aspects. There's a certain moment about 2/3 or 3/4 the way in which was fantastically good.

And it's always good when characters get killed off. I have a pet hate of everyone making it with just a flesh wound.