12 Monkeys: 1.11: Shonin

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
There was a quite a lot I wasn't expecting there; and quite an info dump, though it all ties together neatly. It is a very complicated timeline now; a more complicated story than I expect most viewers would be prepared to follow and make sense of. You would need to have watched every episode and in order. Quite risky for the SyFy Channel, so I hope it pays off.

It seems that 1987 wasn't that important at all. The scene is now set for a battle between Ramse and Cole and it will take place in our present. Not surprising now that Cass said she had seen Cole many times up to 2017 and that a lot had happened in that time.

There was a quite a lot I wasn't expecting there; and quite an info dump, though it all ties together neatly. It is a very complicated timeline now; a more complicated story than I expect most viewers would be prepared to follow and make sense of. You would need to have watched every episode and in order. Quite risky for the SyFy Channel, so I hope it pays off.

It seems that 1987 wasn't that important at all. The scene is now set for a battle between Ramse and Cole and it will take place in our present. Not surprising now that Cass said she had seen Cole many times up to 2017 and that a lot had happened in that time.

I thought this was a really cool episode, my favorite episode of the season so far. My favorite time travel episode of any show of all time. Even beating out classic Star Trek ones. As we fans have been wondering why the timeline seems to adapt to whatever Cole does to "change things." We finally know the answer as to what or who is doing the adapting or should I say adjusting. My mind was happily blown. Too bad they couldn't use aaron for a power move, now he's just a prepper haha!
The group which Ramse is apart of kind of reminds me of the adjustment bureau.

Still can't quite figure out what point to the Jennifer storyline there is

This episode blew my mind! In a great way. I loved the risks it took. I enjoyed the hell out of Ramse's story. Holy cow, what an adventure. Now, he's a force to be reckoned with and a worthy adversary to Cole.

I honestly have no idea how Cole is supposed to stay ahead of this. Something in the chain will have to give. My first thought is Jennifer. She and Cole always had a connection. She is still the wild card, imho, but needs to get out from under the thumb of the crazy "mother" lady.

I wonder if they will resolve these plot threads THIS season (not knowing whether or not the show would get picked up for season 2 during the filming), or, if they will leave it hanging and let some of this simmer over next season as well.

I do hope they can keep a grip on the time travel aspect. It's slippery. Continuum folded under that weight, imho. Here's to hoping 12 Monkeys can soldier on.

Thought they did a great job of making Leyland Goines look youthful (hair maketh the man!).. but was there an explanation about Ramse's apparent lack of ageing over the 30 years? That's the kind of thing which bugs me more than it probably should... the tall man and his female accomplice also don't seem to age from 1995 to 2015.

As mentioned in last week's posts, it would be far too easy for Cole and Ramse to land in the same spot in 1987 Tokyo. They did exactly that, but faked it out nicely with the other guy that Cole found instead of Ramse.

The corpse-in-a-box was just wheeled out into a busy nightclub? Don't think I'd want to party at "club corpse-in-a-box"!!

Ramse's prison stuff was a bit cliche.. learns the art of war & beats his tormentor without saying a word. Not very original but it gets the point across. But how did the letter writer know who he was or his importance? Because he had the necklace thing?

A much bigger example of a red forest appearing when the two necklaces combined.. but what does it mean?

Is Cole out of jumps? There was still one more jump to 2015, before they lost the tether... does this mean he's stuck in 2015 permanently (if he doesn't bleed to death)? Either way it doesn't look good for Jones with no tether, all her soldiers are gone so Splinter is wide open!

1. Thought they did a great job of making Leyland Goines look youthful (hair maketh the man!).. but was there an explanation about Ramse's apparent lack of ageing over the 30 years? That's the kind of thing which bugs me more than it probably should... the tall man and his female accomplice also don't seem to age from 1995 to 2015.

2. The corpse-in-a-box was just wheeled out into a busy nightclub? Don't think I'd want to party at "club corpse-in-a-box"!!

1. Hey don't make me older than I am. I was born in 1989 and I am not 30 yet, so Ramse didn't age 30 years it was 20! That begs the question, I'm not sure how old Cole and Ramse are supposed to be. I would say mid-30s perhaps a bit younger, since Cole doesn't appear to know anything about the world before the plague. Until he started splittering that is. Go back to the first few episodes where Cole is saying how great all the luxuries of this world is. However, it appears that they were trying to make Ramse a bit older than Cole, before we knew who he was, he seemed to know a lot more about the world before the plague than did Cole. But now that could be easily explained away huh? Anyway, I don't think it's easy to make Kirk Acevedo look that much different than he is. The man doesn't age. He's 43 in real life.

2. Just showing how weird east Asian clubs are. I suppose

But how did the letter writer know who he was or his importance? Because he had the necklace thing?

There is a very good chance that I might be wrong about this but:
I think that group may all be time travelers. Maybe part of Jones' experiments, that got lost in time.
They know something of the future because they weren't all shocked about who Ramse was. They know something. They know to invest in a bunch of things that Ramse probably doesn't even know about. Ramse is shown to be in charge of some master plan, but we don't know how he got recruited (who decided to pick him, like you said) and where they got that crazy necklace technology. The red forest is probably important here.

There is a very good chance that I might be wrong about this but:
I think that group may all be time travelers. Maybe part of Jones' experiments, that got lost in time.

Now I really want the twelve monkeys to be revealed as twelve literal monkeys who have suffered the same fate! :p

Now I really want the twelve monkeys to be revealed as twelve literal monkeys who have suffered the same fate! :p
Haha I think there'd be more chance of the if Terry Gilliam was involved.

There's no evidence that this group are active time travellers, but it is possible that they were sent back at some point. Thinking more about the aging, or lack of, in the Tall Man, Olivia and Ramse. This must be intentional as other (e.g. the Goines') have both been shown aged up or down when a significant time jump was involved. Ramse has something wrong with his arm throughout, could this be a side-effect of him jumping so soon after injecting Jones' serum? Perhaps its job is to prevent cell ageing whilst you travel through time (i.e. the ageing effects of jumping 25-30 years would kill you otherwise), Ramse's injection didn't fully take hold so his arm at least is ageing according to his real age.

This does lead back to Tall Man and Olivia also being travellers. And perhaps if Cole remains in 2015 - Splinter seems pretty much finished at this point - then he won't age either? Does he stay put now, and try to help Cassie (as referenced last week before she died in 2017). He could live long enough to reunite with Jones in 2043...

Back