Diving scene, 700 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrybuchanan

Delusions of Grammar
Supporter
This is the beginning of a roughly 10k steam punk I'm writing as a displacement activity from the novel. I would appreciate any feedback, but especially in reference to the diving suit aspects (@HareBrain and @Boneman?).

Although not quite a first draft exactly, this is definitely not polished as it isn't quite finished yet, but feel free to correct the execrable grammar anyway.

######​

Deep down, I hadn’t ever really trusted Howard, I suppose. Watching the Dolphin disappear up through the murky waters of the Bay of Abu Qir without me, I could have kicked myself for not following my instincts.

I knew, now, why I had turned down his proposal.

The air hose linking me to the ship coiled down to settle on the seabed, draping itself artistically around the neck of the sphinx I had been examining a moment before.

Grabbing the end of it was like trying to catch a slippery eel while wearing boxing gloves, but I managed to seize it about ten feet from the cut-end and doubled it over several times to seal in whatever air remained.

My options were few and none looked promising to a girl a whisker away from panic. Holding the hose in my left hand I fumbled with my weight belt with the right, finally managing to undo it by main force. It dropped to the seabed and my feet began to rise from the sand a little. Not enough. Bending my knees I thrust against the statue, no room for regret at any damage my weighted boots might do to the priceless artifact. My free arm made swimming motions, but the left one was hampered by the hose, so my ascent was painfully slow.

On the way up, I wondered what story Howard would be telling my crew. No doubt a sad tale of a hose severed on a sharp rock, and his grief as he watched my dying gasps through the tiny window of the diving bell. I wondered if my face had turned blue or if the murky water filling my bronze mask had kindly obscured my features.

It’s not true, what they say about your life flashing before you the when you are about to die. All that I could think was that I would be joining my father soon, and regret that I hadn’t been able to complete his life’s work dragged at me.

I thought of Howard’s last words before we climbed into the diving bell. “I still love you, Jocelyn. I will always love you. I wish you could have believed that.” What twisted fate had turned a lover into a murderer?

By the time I reached the surface, spots danced in front of my eyes. I thanked the god of archaeologists that my dive hadn’t been any deeper or I would have been in serious trouble.

Limited visibility through the round glass plate meant I had no idea how close I would be to the ship when I surfaced. When I did, all I could see was sea and sky.

Far from safe yet, my unresponsive fingers struggled with the butterfly-bolts securing the helmet to the bronze collar at the top of my diving suit. What air I had left was barely breathable, making me feel nauseous. At last the helmet came free and I lifted it over my head, giving myself a ducking as the heavy boots tried to pull me back down. I threw the helmet away from me and immediately felt the improvement in buoyancy. Huge gasps of glorious Mediterranean air chased the spots away and soon I began to feel better.

Legs like lead weights still kicked to keep my head above water, but now I could spin in the water and look for the Ariadne. As I turned I nearly forgot to kick in shock. I could see my ship clearly enough but alongside her lay another vessel, much bigger and totally unlike anything I had ever seen before.

I spat salt water out and let myself sink slightly so I wouldn't be so easily seen from the strange craft while I struggled to undo the laces of my diving suit. It wasn't easy, but I managed to loosen them enough that I could struggle out of the suit, using my teeth to pull the gloves off my fingers. The relief was immense. I felt as light as a feather, floating effortlessly in the salty water. I wasn't even cold, not yet anyway. A steady breaststroke took me towards the two vessels without creating any splashing to catch the eye.

It dropped to the seabed and my feet began to rise from the sand a little. Not enough.
The last diving belt I handled was VERY heavy. I'd expect you'd pop up on releasing it. But it was for wet suit (or maybe a drysuit) aqualung/bottles etc with flippers.

A diving suit has heavy boots and helmet. So perhaps
ducking as the heavy boots tried to pull me back down
your character needs to take them off too.
There is a separate rope / chain thing, the hose wasn't used I think to haul the diver. Also I think perhaps a signalling cord too.

Is it actually possible to get out of a diving suit without a helper?

Edit better link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_diving_dress

I think the suits are one piece, even in early years, and the "corselet or breastplate" is bolted to the suit after you climb in through top opening. The helmet mounts on that.

Last edited:
Technical stuff first (to the extent that I know it). Someone in a diving suit maintains buoyancy (or lack of) by regulating the amount of air in the suit. If the hose is cut, it would spew out air at a tremendous rate, possibly emptying the hose (and suit, if she's not careful) by the time it coiled around the sphinx. What she should do is grab the hose as soon as she knows it's cut, to seal the air in her suit.

I'm not sure if they used weight-belts with diving suits, given that they already had plenty of weight built-in (helmet, boots etc). But that needn't harm your story. Assuming she has the right amount of air in her suit to keep her just about negatively buoyant on the seabed, she might then be able to swim to the surface, and she will get more buoyant as she rises, which will make the ascent faster. Depending on depth and time underwater, she risks the bends, but since you don't specify how deep or long, your line about otherwise being in serious trouble should cover you for that.

However, when she reaches the surface and takes the helmet off, releasing the air that's keeping her afloat, I'm pretty sure she'd plunge straight to the bottom, what with the weight of the boots and collar. I think you might be better to have her fill her lungs and struggle out of the suit on the seabed and swim up.

This might also give more of a sense of urgency and panic, because my main worry about this from a story point of view is that it feels too calm, almost serene, somewhat lackadaisical. I doubt she'd be pondering what story Howard is telling when she's struggling to survive, for example. This isn't helped by the narration feeling as though it's coming from her future self, telling the story by the fireside, than her younger self actually experiencing the danger. Some examples of what adds to this:

Deep down, I hadn’t ever really trusted Howard, I suppose.

The "I suppose" is too indicative of later reflection.

And this, referring to herself as another (past) person:

to a girl a whisker away from panic

Hope that helps. I'm not 100% sure about the intricacies of how the old-style canvas-and-copper suits work, though.

ETA: forgot to say that I did find the premise intriguing, and with a bit more of an "in-the-moment" feel it would make a good start.

Last edited:
Ah, the old diving suits - great fun to use but pretty impractical... What period is this set in? As well as a weight belt, there are usually two heavy weights front and back, on a tug release. How deep is she? Funnily enough the air pressure being pumped from the surface has to equal the pressure at the bottom, or the suit squeezes so much it'll suffocate you, so there's positive pressure of air flowing in, and a small valve where you regulate how much goes out. Very careful manipulation of the outlet valve allows you to be weightless. She'd would know the moment the line had been cut, because the airflow would cease immediately. If she shut the outlet valve sharpish then water wouldn't rush in that fast (because the pressure in the suit and the water surrounding her are equal). As soon as she ascended (even climbing on the sphinx, the pressurised air in her suit will expand and any water in the hose will be forced out. The further up she goes, the more the air expands, so: it's not a total panic, and actually she'd have time to take the boots off - tbh she'd never get to the surface with them on. The only danger she'd be in was suffocation from using up all the oxygen that stays in the suit, but she's actually got a good bit of time, especially when the air keeps expanding as she ascends further. Getting the helmet off is almost impossible because of the rear butterfly clips. Watch this:

[The boots I wore had 'quick release' levers, weren't tied with rope at all. And we did have a small cylinder of compressed air for such emergencies...] As she gets near the surface (depending how deep she'd been) expanding air will bleed from her cuffs and ankles. You can see the suit is very baggy, need loads of room for the air to expand in. Dramatically, it would be better if she had a really good diver's knife and slit the front of the suit, (heavy canvas, but it can be done) pushing the collar up over her head and climbing out that way. Because the air expansion in the sleeves would give her room to pull her arms into the suit, it can be done, but water's going to flow in pretty quickly. But on the surface, water flowing in is not going to make her sink, the weight of the collar and helmet, once it's filled with water, will do that.

not sure if they used weight-belts with diving suits, given that they already had plenty of weight built-in (helmet, boots etc)
I suspect you are correct. But they may have had a weight "plate" on chest. See photo on wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_diving_dress

The lacing isn't to open / close the suit at all! You get in via top. But the lacing is on outside, especially the legs to reduce the amount of air "ballooning" and reduce buoyancy for deeper work by lacing more.
The photo doesn't show the optional leg lacing to reduce air in suit.

I agree the passage sounds reflective, much later than immediate.

Brilliant, both of you. Very helpful, especially HB. I think I have a novice writer's tendency to write as a person looking back instead of being in the moment. It's not the first time I've heard it, but sorting the issue is easier said than done. Still a work in progress. Great to have something to get my editing teeth into though.

However, when she reaches the surface and takes the helmet off, releasing the air that's keeping her afloat, I'm pretty sure she'd plunge straight to the bottom, what with the weight of the boots and collar. I think you might be better to have her fill her lungs and struggle out of the suit on the seabed and swim up.

What about having her reach the surface, feeling relieved to have made it that far, take off the helmet, instantly sink like a brick and then panic taking the suit off as she sinks?

Is it actually possible to get out of a diving suit without a helper?

I'd say it would be hard/nigh on impossible, but it fades into insignificance compared to the stuff I throw at her later (wrestling a Nile Crocodile and taking on an mechanical poisonous spider, etc). She's a pretty tough cookie. Think female Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider in a steam-punk setting.

Edit: My typing is so slow that several other posts popped up there while I was writing. Off ot read them now....

Hi Kerry,

It's nice and clean and I found it a compelling read, but I think it reads as a little distant - towards telling, even though it is from the diver's POV.

This is my favourite section as it talks directly to the reader;

"It’s not true, what they say about your life flashing before you the (?) when you are about to die. All that I could think was that I would be joining my father soon, and regret that I hadn’t been able to complete his life’s work dragged at me. "

Although ... I'd take advantage of the opportunity to introduce a bit more of the character here - not least because there is a nice allegory of rise and fail with the diver rising and falling.

So... yeah. Nice one ;)

pH

Thank you @Phyrebrat.

@Boneman, that was incredibly useful. For some reason I had thought the boots were an integral part of the suit (duh) so if she can somehow get rid of those it will certainly help her buoyancy. Depth? I purposely avoided stating a depth because I wasn't certain of my facts. Deep enough to be a challenge, not so deep as to worry about the Bends.

I love the idea of the knife and might use that. The story is set in 1870 or thereabouts and involves the 'accidental' flooding of the original Museum of Antiquities in Cairo, although I had to be a little free with dates to achieve that (it actually happened in 1878). However, this is an alternate history so their steam ships can fly and a bullet motorcar running on an air cushion can push the Gs, so I reckon a tweak here or there with a diving suit might be possible.

Early boots laced on like ordinary boots
Later boots strap on
(Both shown on wikipage)

I didn't know about the modern quick release ones

Victorian:
Ballpoint pens (more like roll on deodorant size tip, tube and external tank, for marking crates)
Fax
Typewriters
Flashlights
Electric Cars
Submarines
Electric Street lights
Gramophone
Radio transmission
Phonograph
Electric hearing aid
Mechanical TV (20 lines approx)
CRT (called Braun tube on continent), but not actual radio valves/tubes!
Semiconductor diodes.

Fountain pen is AFTER ballpoint!

Dry batteries 1887 in Denmark
Copied by an Englishman in New York in 1897 approx.
Before that they used "wet" version for phone, telegraph, fax etc, wasn't portable.
Rechargeable Lead Acid batteries from 1860

It was called a Flashlight for TWO reasons.
It used a carbon Fibre filament, not tungsten, which takes much more current for less light.
The dry batteries would quickly polarise (they were most commonly today's "D" size and volts) and lamp would fade. You'd get 10 seconds to a minute depending on bulb power. Turn off and wait, and it would be back to normal. Hence the USA Eveready "Nine Lives" and "always bounces back" texts. Energiser/Eveready USA is derived from the USA company that bought the bogus patent form the Englishman in 1897. Prior art outside USA still is ignored today!

The wet battery invented by Volta in 1799 approx of course. So we named Volts after him.

I really liked this was almost urgent enough to panic and such.

I'm no expert.
But If the dive is 10 meters or more, then compression is an issue; so the pressure from the air and the release would be regulated both for buoyancy and for pressure. which leads to my next thought: which is that the valve for air coming in might be specialized to stop the release of air in that direction so the loss of pressure on the incoming line would signal an event that would close it preventing water to come in. Depending on what the rest of the suit is supposed to do, there is a problem that if you keep releasing pressure at this point (Just remaining where your are) you will suffer similar result to rapid decompression. If those also close off that helps and you have all that handy buoyancy 'stuff' to help her to the surface; however she needs to release the air on the way up or she will suffer and probably be incapable of getting out of the suit when she gets to the top: so there is no easy free ride up. In fact I would suspect her thoughts might all be tied up with this and calculating how to incur the least amount of damage that she'll have to wait until she's on the surface and out of the suit before she can think about how this happened or even the philosophy of watching her life go by or not go by as death comes closer.

Wouldn't something be happening to her eardrums as she is rising so rapidly? Would it make her a bit deaf as she surfaces?
Then she would see everything but not hear it.

Not really a problem -- the expanding air should easily escape from the middle ear down the eustacian tube as she ascends, unless her tubes are narrow or she has a bit of a cold or something.

Americans chew gum so that they don't have this problem in the lifts (elevators) in Manhattan. They gave me sore ears. But my ears are sort of congested all the time. I have to chew gum flying and can't dive.

*sharpens claws*

Deep down, I hadn’t ever really trusted Howard, I suppose. - axe 'I suppose'. Change 'I hadn't ever' to 'I'd never'. Maybe axe 'deep down'

draping itself artistically around the neck of the sphinx - axe 'artistically'. Could add a scarf comparison, if you like it, and if it works.

Grabbing the end of it was like trying to catch a slippery eel while wearing boxing gloves, but I managed to seize it about ten feet from the cut-end and doubled it over several times to seal in whatever air remained. - cut this into two sentences. Could do it at 'but I managed' or [my preference] 'and doubled it over'.

My options were few and none - alter this. Smallest way would be adding a comma after 'few' or you could reword it. 'few and none' sounds contradictory.

undo it by main force. - 'main force'? Sounds like a slang version of brute force I'm not familiar with.

It dropped to the seabed and my feet began to rise from the sand a little. - not sure about 'a little' coupled with 'began to rise'. Perhaps 'my feet rose a few inches above the sand'?

Bending my knees I thrust against the statue, no room for regret at any damage my weighted boots might do to the priceless artifact. - artefact, unless you're secretly American.

but the left one was hampered by the hose, so my ascent was painfully slow. - make the latter clause its own sentence.

On the way up, I wondered what story Howard would be telling my crew. - 'telling' is too neutral (it seems). 'spinning', and you could change 'story' to 'web of lies'.

had kindly obscured my features. - 'kindly obscured' perhaps too nice.

All that I could think was that I would be joining my father soon, and regret that I hadn’t been able to complete his life’s work dragged at me. - definitely axe 'dragged at me' [repetitive after the 'regret' bit] and perhaps axe everything after the comma.

I thanked the god of archaeologists that my dive hadn’t been any deeper or I would have been in serious trouble. - full stop after 'deeper' then 'if it had been...' for the start of the new sentence.

Far from safe yet, - axe 'yet' [add 'still' at the start if you want to]

Legs like lead weights still kicked to keep my head above water, - sounds a bit distant for third person.

As I turned I nearly forgot to kick in shock. - not sure 'forgot to kick' works.

I wouldn't be so easily seen - axe 'so easily'

Status
Not open for further replies.