Talk to me about character arcs

SleepyDormouse

dreaming away....
I'm trying to get my head around character arcs, the ways characters can change/develop and also how many characters in the story need to have one.

I know main characters need one, but would you expect most or all side characters to have one too?

Can a character arc just be someone changing their view on things?

When Teresa first edited Abendau's Heir for me, about three years ago, she pulled me - rightly - on lack of character arcs for the secondary characters. And she was spot on. I think if they are in any way central there should be development. It doesn't have to be huge, neccesarily, but growth enriches your story. In my case, I took two of the characters back a little, so for instance a politician was shown to be learning her skills rather than already being poised. Others, I extended what they developed go, and for one character - whose arc had a definitive end, if you like - I added a substory to strenghten them. Each step was an improvement.

Anyway @Teresa Edgerton might pop in herself and deliver her masterclass. :)

When you consider how in real life few people change their views, certainly not about things which are remotely important, I'd definitely say a character arc would include such a change! A man who at the beginning of a novel believes women should stay at home and never work but who by the end is encouraging his daughter in her career has developed and grown a good deal.

How much development to give to subsidiary characters will, I think, depend on their roles in the story overall, and how much time you can allot them. A sprawling fantasy of 150k words which has many sub-plots would need more of its characters having a specific arc than a very narrowly focussed children's book coming in at 60k; a planned series might not have every secondary character with an arc in each book, but over the course of several novels every character would probably show some change.

I'm trying to get my head around character arcs, the ways characters can change/develop and also how many characters in the story need to have one.

I know main characters need one, but would you expect most or all side characters to have one too?

Not all, but some. The minor characters don't. Take a few of the more interesting side characters and give them an arc. But be careful they're not more interesting than the main character's arc.

Can a character arc just be someone changing their view on things?

Yes. And they can be some of the most interesting arcs.

I wonder if bad guys have arcs as often as the good guys. Really bad bad guys sometimes don't seem to.

Come to that, not all good guys do! Miss Marple is the same whichever book you pick up, and Brother Cadfael doesn't change in any of the novels. Even now I don't imagine the detective-protagonist changes in every book of a series, though over the course of a series he/she should do if it's too be psychologically real (eg as the effect of seeing all those dead bodies numbs their souls).

Hmmm, wish I knew what I had said in that master class ...

To answer Hex's question, older people tend to be set in their ways, so I'd say the older a bad, bad character is the less likely they are to change (not that they couldn't change, but that they are far less likely) -- except at that mid-life crisis stage, but that pertains to my next point, so I'll put that to one side for the moment. In fantasy and science fiction you often have characters who are very old indeed, and although they would have had plenty of life experiences to change them along the way, what they have learned (or think they have learned) from those life experiences would be very hard to shake. They are highly unlikely to go through any convincing changes, especially given the time frame of most books.

If the changes are too convenient for the protagonist, readers will be even more aware of how unlikely it is. For example: a villain who has been steeped in evil for decades or even centuries suddenly turns around at a crucial moment and says to the hero, "By your courage and goodness you have made me see the error of my ways! Nevermore shall I do such evil deeds. Now let me reward you with rich gifts and extraordinary favors, and rescue you from your dire straits." If something like that happens, readers will feel the writer has insulted their intelligence. Young readers may want to vomit. (But if, as in a manuscript I happen to be currently reading, an ambiguous character gives aid for ambiguous reasons, that is quite a different matter, and can be thoroughly convincing. But it would not have been convincing if the villain had done so.)

My second point is that people in general who are satisfied with their situation in life are far less likely to grow or change. A midlife crisis tends to highlight areas where a person is dissatisfied, or the things they feel they were deprived of earlier in their lives while they were doing what was expected of them or what they needed to do to get ahead, and a realization that after all none of it was as fulfilling as they had hoped. The sort of detective TJ mentions, who has become numb to the ugliness around him, has changed, not by growing, but by diminishing -- however convenient to his job, he has lost something valuable, the loss of which is certain to have an effect on other parts of his life -- which is also a character arc.

But if things are just as they want them, if they feel they have done all that they wanted to do, or at least that the lives they are living hold out endless opportunities ahead, even a person during those midlife years has no reason to want to change (short of divine intervention, a road to Damascus moment, but these are few and far between). A character who is immensely powerful one way or another (as so many bad, bad characters in SFF are) -- whether that power be magical, political, financial, or something else -- and who basks in the love, admiration, or fear they inspire, who adores all the advantages that power brings, would have no desire to change. They wouldn't even want to change their thinking, not very much, since what they think and believe would undoubtedly provide the justification for their nefarious deeds and iron grip on power. If robbed of their power and forced to go through a series of enlightening experiences, to learn how ordinary people live and struggle, etc. etc. they could be humbled and learn the error of their ways. Or at least ... a skillful writer might convince us that it could happen. But more likely they'll rage against the changes, since they had so thoroughly convinced themselves that they had a right to all the power and glory, the riches and comforts, they had before.

But young people do change in all sorts of way, especially when they are going through the kind of experiences that shake up their lives, where those experiences tend to be of an eye-opening kind. Even when none of that happens, unless they have been pretty well brain-washed by their elders, they change as a way of asserting their autonomy, of establishing themselves as unique individuals, rather than as extensions of their parents or their families. So it only makes sense that if you have young characters with aspirations, who don't lead ordinary, placid lives -- and ordinary placid lives don't make for very exciting reading -- that they would have character arcs, either to change directions in some way, to grow (or sometimes to diminish), or at least to become much more of whatever they were at the beginning.

And finally, people who don't change, who just go ahead doing the same things, thinking the same thoughts, are boring. Readers will forgive a lot -- given the right justifications, or the right amount of remorse afterwards, they will forgive some pretty heinous deeds (the slaughter of multitudes is nothing to them, given the right circumstances) -- but characters who bore readers, because they are too dull and do the same things over and over, or because they are too perfect and have no need to change, have committed the one unforgivable crime. (Note that it doesn't matter if the other characters find them tedious, if they amuse readers.) That's why readers often like the villains better than the heroes. The villains may not change, but at least they aren't boring.

So for the book springs referred to, where I asked for character arcs (for primary characters, and for important secondary characters) they were all young people. Some were part of and/or witnesses to extraordinary events, some had extraordinary intelligence and/or talents, some were training for extraordinary positions of responsibility. And for some of them more than one of these things was true. It seemed impossible to me, especially given the span of years the book covered, that these young people would not have character arcs. Without them, the book would not be convincing. And to keep readers from growing bored with them, to keep readers from wanting to take a nap during any scenes where they were the point of view characters, character arcs were also important.

I wonder if bad guys have arcs as often as the good guys. Really bad bad guys sometimes don't seem to.

On a basic level, protagonists change and antagonists don't - a protagonist has to strive to achieve their goal and is changed by the experience, whereas the antagonist may already be sure of their position and refuses change.

However, antagonists can undergo their own arcs - redemption is common theme. It depends on whether you want an antagonist to be sympathetic or not, to any degree. Darth Vader is a very obvious example.

I agree with Teresa.

The trouble about character arcs for villains is that they’re often redemptive, which stops the villain actually being villainous. A lot of books rely on an opponent who is basically fixed as a person. I suppose you could have a character who struggles to be good and fails, like Gollum, but you still need to unchanging Sauron figure in the background.

One thing that’s struck me recently is that certain types of characters come with their own backstories, and perhaps their own future, written for them by the nature of what they are or do at the point where they appear on the page. Quite often, you can guess what it is: if two friends are close and then a new thing is introduced that changes one of them, the new thing will probably test their friendship but ultimately affirm it.

To give an example, I was quite careful not to allow Captain Smith to be an archetypal Tory imperialist – although he has some of the traits – partly because he’d be less likeable, and partly because he would be more predictable that way and less interesting to read about. Similarly, if I was to read a book about a female knight, I would expect a lot of her background, and her plot arc, to come out of the fact that she was a knight who was female. Once you get away from the obvious arc that attaches itself to a certain sort of character, the opportunity to do other things becomes much greater.

That said, I am currently trying to write a fantasy novel whose joint-lead character is a bigoted old man. He is going to stay as a bigoted old man, because, as Teresa says, a moment of realisation where he suddenly figures that religious dissenters are actually really “just like us” is too far a step to be credible. The plan is to reveal nuances and plus sides to him, so that the bigotry isn’t so much removed as countered by his virtues.

Toby,
Surely the knowledge of what you are talking about means that writers are in the position to change things around a little. If we see the character arc as cliche or preset, can we not change it up? introduce a changing factor that turns things on their head?

so that the bigotry isn’t so much removed as countered by his virtues
archetypal Tory imperialist
Yes, some Tory imperialists are "better" in some senses than people that seem less controversial.
Some villains get blacker.
Most people are neither saints, evil, angels nor devils.
Someone could be an evil dictator and very caring about children, animals. Or could be a great Hero Philanthropist and a child molester.
Perhaps a Moriarty would be appalled at testing makeup on rabbits' eyes or pulling wings off flies or the experiment sold to kids where you control a cockroach by simple implant and your phone (I still can't believe schools are doing this!).

I thing stereotypes are brilliant for getting people into the story quickly (it's hard if your SF on alien plant or Magic Fantasy world has NOTHING familiar), I think the trick is then to bend away from the stereotype without the reader feeling tricked, cheated or losing suspension of disbelief. An SF with no humans at all means no shared cultural references or stereotypes. The reader and writer have to work harder. A Fantasy world with no stereotypical fantasy creatures (even if there are humans) is extra-ordinarily difficult. Lord of the Rings maybe has the Hobbit*. Almost everything else is from pre-existing legend and myth. He can't resist putting tobacco and potatoes in.

writers are in the position to change things around a little. If we see the character arc as cliche or preset, can we not change it up?
there's a risk that comes from surprising people
Certain ways of surprising people can enhance the experience rather than pull it down.

[Edit:
* Just realised that many of the characters in LOTR don't know what a Hobbit is either, that makes it work better!
]

Last edited:
Thank you, all really interesting and helpful, especially Teresa.

I find it a bit difficult to separate out plot development and character arc. (sorry if this seems really basic/obvious) Character arc is when the character changes, and it can be caused by the plot development, and/or the character changes can affect the plot development. I suppose there would be some plots which are mostly led by character changes.

So a young person who has always been told magic is evil, discovering he has magic and having to learn to cope with it and trust himself not to become evil would be considered a character arc? The situation forces him to reconsider his views but the characters internal change of viewpoint is considered separate to the plot?

I often paint myself into a corner when I start with a definite idea of how I want my character to change, what I want him/her to learn, etc. Then I structure the plot's action towards herding my character on that path. I can fill up a lot of pages really quickly! Then my writer's group tells me that the character isn't behaving realistically or believably. It's ironic that some of my best stuff is written with no outline or pre-set goal in mind. If I just launch into the "zone" and experience the story as my character does, moment to moment, I do better on matching action to character.

Reactions: Hex
I tend to plot in terms of key scenes. So I know what the characters are doing in those scenes, and the arcs happen as I write the characters' progression between those scenes. But I don't try to identify in advance what those arcs will be, because if I tried to plot by arc it would turn out really cheesy ("he learns the redemptive power of love", "she learns the cleansing effect of vomiting"). Some of the most interesting arcs come about by getting characters to move convincingly between scenes in which they behave in apparently contradictory ways.

Come to that, not all good guys do! Miss Marple is the same whichever book you pick up, and Brother Cadfael doesn't change in any of the novels. Even now I don't imagine the detective-protagonist changes in every book of a series, though over the course of a series he/she should do if it's too be psychologically real (eg as the effect of seeing all those dead bodies numbs their souls).

Although Brother Cadfael makes enough references to the experiences of his youth to infer that he has undergone plenty of growth along the way. And even Miss Marple makes allusions to her youth. So perhaps with a more mature character the author can refer to a past character arc and get away with it? (Even staid old Poirot mentions old flames...)

I don't know that it counts as a character arc though, does it, just referring to things he's done and changes he's made years before the books open? It's interesting backstory, certainly, and adds depth to the characterisation, but there's no growth in the novels themselves. I think the issue with detective fiction is that no one is reading the books for character development, and certainly not as far as the Agatha Christie's are concerned, but for the plot and murder puzzles.

I also wonder if the issue of character development is one that worries us as writers rather more than it concerns readers, who evidently tolerate a lot of things we consider bad writing as long as the plot moves briskly enough. eg I've never read any of the Dan Brown books, but do his main characters show any growth? (Or even any depth...?)