Review: Rome's Lost Son by Robert Fabbri

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter

Vespasian has managed to live through the brutal reigns of Tiberius and Caligula, and now struggles to survive under Claudius - all the more difficult when the power of the Roman Empire in really controlled by Antonia's warring freedmen, Pallas and Narcissus, one of whom wants to assure Nero's succession.

Suggestions that the Parthians are moving in on Armenia gives Vespasian a chance to gain imperial favour, as he's sent to ascertain the reality on the ground - only to find himself walking into a political trap bigger than anything he could have imagined...

Rome's Lost Son builds on the strengths of the previous Vespasian books, with the character continuing to develop. In Masters of Rome we saw Vespasian learning to seek his own advantage in the dirty world of politics he found himself in - now he begins to ruthlessly apply it.

Robert Fabbri has already built the character as one with Roman values that are arguably morally reprehensible to our own. Now the author really begins to turn the screws as Vespasian's ambitions grow, and the fall of political opponents becomes more sought after.

For some readers, Vespasian is going to come across as increasingly unlikeable, but I find the his slow but growing transformation into emperor material absolutely fascinating.

There is also the trademark violence, but there's far less actual fighting in this book than previous ones, though a couple of specific descriptions did make me cringe as perhaps going a little too far.

The main meat of this story, though, is the political intrigue of Rome - specifically, the continuing power play of Pallas and Narcissus behind the throne of Claudius. And how Vespasian must try not only to survive it, but also protect his family: no easy feat when his son, Titus, has such a close association with Brittanicus - the one obstacle to Nero's ascension.

As usual, the political figureheads of history are brought to life on the pages, and Nero's over-acting is wonderfully in accordance with the historical commentaries.

Perhaps most interesting, though, is that pretty much nothing is known about Vespasian during this entire decade, so Fabbri has to conjure a story from nothing here. Yet Fabbri has managed to construct a carefully knit plot from what could be imagined to be so very few cues - and yet it all comes across as mostly plausible. Even more so, it continues to make for a compelling story in a very enjoyable series of Roman Historical Fiction.

While this is book six in the series to date, as with the others, any relevant background the reader may have missed is explained, though thankfully quite succinctly.

Am very much looking forward to the next book in the series, Furies of Rome.

Very enjoyable review. I will have to look up the other books in this series as well. Very interesting that Fabbri has created a background and history for Vespasian. What is known (I looked up information about him) is that he founded the Flavian dynasty after an interesting power struggle after the Year of the Four Emperors. Vespasian had to defeat Vitellius to later become emperor. I would be interested to see what Fabbri does to the character, and to see if I like his Roman series as much as Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series.

Oh, I doubt anything could even come close to Colleen McCullough. However, I have found some Roman Historical Fiction authors can be somewhat light on the historical fiction element - Robert Fabbri is one who applies it, though not as thickly as McCollough. :)

I just finished Rome's Lost Son. I haven't read the previous books in the Vespasian series. I just started with this one.

Rome's Lost Son is set in the final years of Emperor Claudius' reign. Vespasian makes a fascinating figure of a man who must navigate the politics of Rome and its territories in order to gradually rise in power. The crippled and drunken Emperor Claudius is influenced greatly by his latest wife Agrippina and her lover Pallas, as well as by the freedman Narcissus. Claudius has adopted his stepson Nero as his own son, which bodes ill for his natural son Brittanicus, as the cunning Agrippina plots to have her son Nero become Rome's next emperor.

In Rome's Lost Son, Vespasian heads east to Armenia, a client kingdom of Rome, with a secret plan to help start a war between Rome and the Parthians that will ensure the succession of Nero and further Vespasian's own interests. Vespasian attempts to provoke a war with Parthia by ingeniously arranging for a small Roman army to invade Armenia, which will force the Parthian Empire to consider war against Rome. Vespasian hopes that with the unstable Nero rather than the clever and cautious Brittanicus as the next Emperor of Rome, the Julio-Claudian line will end. The end of their power would ultimately increase his own and that of his family. In his journey, Vespasian is accompanied by his uncle Magnus and his slave, Hormus. However, Vespasian is taken prisoner in Armenia...

I don't want to reveal too much of the plot here, but it is an exciting read, and Vespasian ultimately must escape the east in order to return to Rome.

Rome's Lost Son is complex and satisfying. I enjoyed it and would recommend this series to readers of this genre, though it is a trifle bloodier than some others of its kind. As the book ended, I wanted more and to find out what would happen to Vespasian, who was quite likable. I will look forward to reading more from Robert Fabbri.

Back