The Best Animated Tv Shows and Characters of All Time

If we are talking only western animation, then it would be a severely under appreciated and hence cancelled way too soon show called Pirates of Dark Water. It is a travesty that show never got to finish its story.

Followed closely after that would be:
  • Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
  • Transformers G1
  • X-Men
For both Transformers and X-Men, the original series were both superior to the modern remake movies in their respect to lore and characterization.

Recently, The Dragon Prince is definitely a contender worth adding to the list.

But if we are talking about animation from all around the world, well then, Japan has the west beat in every respect. Clannad. End Thread. You'd be hard pressed to find an animated show that goes where Clannad does -- just have that box of tissues ready for season 2...

Other anime of note:
  • Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (remake, not original) -- Generally considered to be the top 1 anime of all time.
  • One Piece -- Most popular and longest running anime of all time -- at least in Japan. Fact.
  • Angel Beats -- (By the same group as Clannad, enough said)
  • K-On -- (Comedy and Moe at its best)
  • Madoka Magicka -- (Revolutionized the magical girl genre (a.k.a absolutely destroyed Sailor Moon and left it crying in the corner).
  • Stein;Gate -- (Does time travel right. Very clever and complex)
  • Last Exile -- (Some of the best world building I've ever seen)
  • Cowboy Bebop -- (Cult Classic, westernized anime so good choice for people to watch as their first anime)
  • Vision of Escaflowne -- (Classic from the good old days that shows 99% of other isekai anime out there just how to do the transported to another world story right)
  • Attack on Titan -- Worldwide phenomenon that actually gets better as it goes on. (unlike the other worldwide phenomenon... I'm looking at you Sword Art Online -- although Alicization looks to have got things back on track for SAO).

Thinking about it, another animated show that deserves a callout is Tailspin. Fantastic spin on jungle book characters in a pirates setting.

I haven't watched TV since grade school, but as for "best animated characters", you may not like my definition, but I think that's a no-brainer - the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park.

Not the best but I loved Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Pink Panther, Danger Mouse and Tin Tin.
Anyone remember Deputy Dawg ?
UK members does anyone recall the cartoon the Banana Splits showed think it was called Arabian Nights ?

So glad someone else mentioned Tailspin!! It was one of my favorites. Don Carnage was brilliant!!

Also loved Pinky and the Brain, Duck Dodgers, DuckTales, Victor and Hugo, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines, and several others I could mention.

So glad someone else mentioned Tailspin!! It was one of my favorites. Don Carnage was brilliant!!

Also loved Pinky and the Brain, Duck Dodgers, DuckTales, Victor and Hugo, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines, and several others I could mention.
Now you've reminded me of Wacky Races and Captain Caveman :D

Not the best but I loved Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Pink Panther, Danger Mouse and Tin Tin.
UK members does anyone recall the cartoon the Banana Splits showed think it was called Arabian Nights ?
As I recall that was called 'Knights' rather than 'Nights.' The title referred to heroes.

I do remember Deputy Dawg. Does anyone remember Ricochet Rabbit?

As I recall that was called 'Knights' rather than 'Nights.' The title referred to heroes.

I do remember Deputy Dawg. Does anyone remember Ricochet Rabbit?

I have fond memories of both of those shows :cool:

I remember all of this listed above

I remember Arabian Knights , Very entertaining stuff , It's too bad it was only a segment of Banana Splits . Arabian Knights would have done very well as it own show. I would love to see a reboot of this oe or even a feature film , or why not a live action series ? :cool:

Remember Max the 2,000-Year-Old Mouse? I learned some broad strokes history at a very early age from these cartoons.

When I was very young (4 or 5) my mum used to take us shopping and there was a booth where she could put in a couple of coins and 2 or 3 cartoons would run. The one I remember most from this is Sinbad Jr. Mostly because he would pull on his belt and become super strong. What's most telling about the time was that my mum would leave me and my sister (3 at most) alone for the run of the cartoons and then feed the booth with another coin to finish her shop.

Sinbad the Sailor! he pulls it tight, with all his might-- a mighty sailor he'll be-- a mighty sailor is he! :ROFLMAO: Why would I remember that?

There was a very short-lived animated Fantastic Voyage, as I recall. Sadly, the big cartoon database has no details, other than the year: Fantastic Voyage Episode Guide -Filmation

I tried to find it on Amazon, but no luck. Should have tried youtube.

Sinbad the Sailor! he pulls it tight, with all his might-- a mighty sailor he'll be-- a mighty sailor is he! :ROFLMAO: Why would I remember that?

There was a very short-lived animated Fantastic Voyage, as I recall. Sadly, the big cartoon database has no details, other than the year: Fantastic Voyage Episode Guide -Filmation

I tried to find it on Amazon, but no luck. Should have tried youtube.

Yes , I remember Fantastic Voyage, It was a done Filmation Studios in the late 1960's about 17 episodes were produced . It was a very weird and at times surreal tv show. I liked alot.:cool: In roughly that same time period Filmation also did Journey to the Center of the Earth . It too was short lived but very entertaining .:cool:

Thinking about it, another animated show that deserves a callout is Tailspin. Fantastic spin on jungle book characters in a pirates setting.

There was film Treasure of the Lost Lamp.:unsure:

Johny Quest the 1960's tv series was by far one the best series Hanna Barbara ever did. :cool: