Are fantasy readers more forgiving?

1. Extollager

Extollager Well-Known Member

Interesting. I know that, for myself, though I consciously specialized in fantasy in the 1970s, I'm a lot more tolerant of so-so sf than of most fantasy. I guess I could say that with sf I'm often looking to be entertained, and I can enjoy sf that doesn't fly higher than a good old RKO noir movie, while with fantasy I'm looking for something that is like, or indeed is, real poetry. Boy, there isn't a lot of fantasy I can read any more other than some favorites, notably Tolkien, Coleridge, Lewis, etc. Conversely I can read lots of sf with adequate enjoyment.

May 31, 2016
  2. Ronald T.

Ronald T. Well-Known Member

I find that the most reliable book reviews are the ones falling in the 2-4 star range. They are not quite so extreme about their opinions. So, for the most part, I tend to ignore the 1 star, and the 5 star reviews. And I always read the sample chapters offered as previews. That is my most effective factor for determining how much I might enjoy a book.

But there is no sure way of guaranteeing a pleasant read -- from beginning to end -- until you actually read the book.

And I think the popularity of series books is often based on the premise that when a story is really good, readers don't want the story and its characters to end. I know that's the case with me. In fact, most of my fantasy and Sci-Fi books are part of a series. And very few of them have let me down.

Of course, that's just one man's opinion.

Dec 27, 2016
    hopewrites likes this.
  3. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Not sure this is the right thread for this. There are other long threads specifically on "Reviews" here but I haven't taken part in those and can't read them all. I just read something today and wanted to add to what I have previously said, because I know how much authors here agonise over their reviews.

I've mentioned several times before how little trust I put in these online reviews. This man managed to get his fake restaurant, 'The Shed in Dulwich,' to become the number one restaurant in London on TripAdvisor with 83 good reviews. I rest my case.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQXMzhCXcAEYxh3.jpg:large

Dec 6, 2017