Best Augustus novel?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm always open to some good Roman Historical Fiction, but aside from Colleen McCollough's Anthony and Cleopatra, I can't recall reading anything specifically about Augustus.

Can anyone recommend some good Roman Historical Fiction novels about Augustus, please? :)

I, Claudius by Robert Graves is a great place to start. It isn't specifically about Augustus, but he is a prominent character through most of the novel.

I can also recommend Augustus by John Williams, with some reservations. It's literary fiction in the epistolary format, along the lines of I, Claudius. Very well-written and credible. You really get an insight into the life or death stakes Octavian faced from a young age, the treacherous path to power he negotiated, and the toll it took on him. However, it isn't exactly action-packed. And most of the later half of the novel is about his daughter Julia, and the intrigues that brought her disgrace.

I am probably influenced by the performance of Brian Blessed as Augustus in the TV series "I Claudius" but I do think that Robert Graves did the man a pretty good turn in his two books. I enjoyed them both before the TV programme arrived and ever since seeing them have wanted to appear before my grandchildren in a toga, making important pronouncements. (All right, I won't, but it is an attractive idea at my age.)

Augustus by Alan Massie is an ok book. The novel takes the form of a memoir with an older Augustus looking back on his life.

I'm always open to some good Roman Historical Fiction, but aside from Colleen McCollough's Anthony and Cleopatra, I can't recall reading anything specifically about Augustus.

Can anyone recommend some good Roman Historical Fiction novels about Augustus, please? :)

Brian, if you have not seen Augustus (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006D3HDI/?tag=brite-21) it is brilliant. O'Toole was not the ideal actor for that but he did OK. Benjamin Sadler did a superb job with the young Octavius. You have to see this!

Yes, I also enjoyed Blessed's performance as Claudius. However, Graves portrayed Augustus and Claudius himself as much nicer people than they actually were in reality.