5.12: The Walking Dead - Remember

ctg

weaver of the unseen
BhrRaOF.jpg

Will they ever be able to trust anyone?

Daryl's "we brought dinner line" cracked me up. I thought the interview scenes with Deanna were pretty good. Kind of crazy to see Andrew Lincoln clean shaven at this point. Daryl still carrying around that possum during his interview. I love the banter between Daryl and Carol. Not a good sign someone found the pistol Rick stashed. Aiden is a douche loved that Glenn got a punch in. Constables Rick and Michonne! I punched the air and shouted hell yeah when Rick said "we'll take this place".

I find it interesting that, throughout the episode, the Rickpublic is shown more as an insidious invading force than a group of people looking for safety (apart from Daryl, who's itching to get back on the road, and wants nothing to do with this community) - Carol is making every effort to come across as a harmless housewife (struggling to take the weapon off her back, pretending to miss life with Ed, even dressing up in a bright cardigan!), Glenn is locking horns with the head ranger (we all know you can't trust the characters who take the walker's actions personally, so that's a confrontation waiting to happen), and Rick, despite showing reservations about the entire community, has taken up a position of extreme power. Rick has warned this community about opening it's gates, but the final scene shows it's too late - the Rickpublic is gearing up to annex!

The only member of the group who appears to sincerely want to accept the safety of the community is Michonne, and I wouldn't be surprised if she and Rick end up on opposing sides in the inevitable struggle for power.

---

Not a good sign someone found the pistol Rick stashed.

My money's on Enid - either she saw Rick leave the pistol (after all, he left it in the middle of the day, and she has been shown to venture outside during the daytime), or she happened upon it innocently. She's like Daryl in that she seems to prefer being outside the walls, so it follows that she'd rather be armed than not, even if it contravenes Diana's rules. What are the odds that she draws it on when of the other kids, because they're pushing her to get involved more than she wants, or on Carl for trying to get close to her?

I agree with pretty much everything you say lenny

I loved Carol's actions...so funny. Darryl is awesome but come on dude...you still need to take a shower. That possum in the interview and gutting it on the door steps of the house were classic.

I also though Enid for the gun. I liked the voice over of Crazy beard Rick over the new clean-shaven Rick as he said they are all out for what they can take from people. It made you think he would be taken advantage of but that last line was awesome. "If they are too soft, we'll just take it from them" ( or whatever the actual line was ) Great stuff. Shows he is not afraid to do ANYTHING to protect his family (or Rickpublic)

Daryl's "we brought dinner line" cracked me up

I tried to suck it in but I couldn't. Daryl's Daryl and he won't change. In fact you saw how his eyes sparked in the patio, when Rick said, "If it fails we'll take this place..."

Kind of crazy to see Andrew Lincoln clean shaven at this point

I too liked his beard, his rough outlook instead clean-shaven "Constable."

The only member of the group who appears to sincerely want to accept the safety of the community is Michonne, and I wouldn't be surprised if she and Rick end up on opposing sides in the inevitable struggle for power.

I don't think that power has gone into Rick's head so much that he would want to clash horns with Michonne, when she has been on his side for all this time, and I believe she's like few others, who wants and needs to be in a safe-zone as far away from the zombies as they can. So I think it's good that she has been given a role next to Rick, when we know that sometimes he's not the best man to make decisions (like in the last episode.)

I just cannot take those toilet-rolls out from my mind, when those "luxury" items should had disappeared long, long time ago, just like it should had happened to the Alexandria community. But it hadn't. The neighbourhood looks and feels more like old peoples retirement facility rather than an "example" neighbourhood for the DC politicians.

You look at those houses and you'll see a fresh coat of paint, clean windows, and everything else, except modern electronics plus everything you can acquire from the internet. Boys even claimed that they have loads of video games to take their minds out from the outside. Who knows, maybe they spent all this time in relative safety unlike Carl, who had to learn to live with the walkers. The only problem is the girl, Enid, who has only spent "three" months at the inside. But the way she used pecks to make a ladder looked to me like she was either prepared to ditch this community, or then she was going to visit somebody outside the wall and neither one of those thing makes me feels like this is it ... this is the final resting place.

Why?

Well, thing is, we know next to nothing about the Alexandria, and what we have seen doesn't fit the picture we have seen few hundred miles towards south, nor can we see any evidence of struggle. To my eye those corrugated iron walls looked a bit flimsy, not talking about that some idiot put all supporting structures outside wall, instead inside like they should been. Just think about how easily one could collapse a section and then lure a hoard in to finish the survivors.

If Alexandria would had been built properly then those angled support bars would had been inside the perimeter. Someone would had placed barbedwire at top of the fence and erected a few watchtowers. But they haven't. Not even Aiden has thought about those thing, not talking about clearing a reasonable flat terrain outside the wall. Instead they trust that no-one will get in or even find that they're living there even though there's clearly number of people living inside.

In fact I bet if Abraham would had been in charge things would look quite different.

So without going any further with my analysis, I'll ask: "Where the hell did they found all those supplies and how to manage to save toilet rolls all this time?"

There is no way this is the end of the line...it can't be. Something is really off still, and I think we will find out soon. Also that dude (cant remember his name..guy from the start of the show who went nuts and wrote Clear all over his walls) is following and going to be heading to Washington. I have a feeling we will see some Washington action sooner than later.

I do hope there are some positives here though. This sense of normalcy might remind them what they are surviving for, even if this isn't the end of the road

I agree with pretty much everything you all said and don't have much to add. Enid for certain for the gun, what why does she want with a gun?

If Alexandria would had been built properly then those angled support bars would had been inside the perimeter. Someone would had placed barbedwire at top of the fence and erected a few watchtowers. But they haven't. Not even Aiden has thought about those thing, not talking about clearing a reasonable flat terrain outside the wall. Instead they trust that no-one will get in or even find that they're living there even though there's clearly number of people living inside.
If a huge number of walkers came by, like they did at the prison, and began pushing, they would soon have that fence down, just as they did before.

So without going any further with my analysis, I'll ask: "Where the hell did they found all those supplies and how to manage to save toilet rolls all this time?"
If they really are making supply runs in an ever increasing circle, they they should keep finding new supplies. However, I'm skeptical that they have been doing that and survived as they are too reckless.

The neighbourhood looks and feels more like old peoples retirement facility rather than an "example" neighbourhood for the DC politicians.
I agree and so what happened to the definite sound of young children from last week?

so what happened to the definite sound of young children from last week?

It might have been a stock soundbite that they used to force that effect. I don't know, we haven't seen everything or everyone.

Yeah I thought that too Dave. Rick listened to hear for regular life sounds and we heard kids playing and he smiled or recognized it somehow, yet there were no kids when they went beyond the wall. Red flag!

The town seems quiet and empty, and what's up with buddy on his porch? The hubby of the hairdresser...another tool to get beat down in the near future?

I agree with pretty much everything said so far. Loved that last line by Rick and it is interesting who he shared his thoughts with. Carol and Daryl are going to be his go to people when all this kicks off. Michonne will provide the dramatic tension within the group as the atmosphere becomes more tense. But all we can be sure off is that death and destruction are only an episode or so away. Because with Rick around death follows.

The hubby of the hairdresser...another tool to get beat down in the near future?

He was the famous surgeon.

l we can be sure off is that death and destruction are only an episode or so away. Because with Rick around death follows.

True but there has been times when it hasn't happened. I'm actually quite enjoying the peace and quiet even though I know it's not going to last forever.

Great episode and a nice change for our weary band. I think there is something genuine here. I like how the group is so apprehensive and they all have slightly different reactions to this new environment. I think the leader congress women is a good person and their community has gotten rather lucky so far as you can see from their naivety of sorts. I believe the group will stay here for a while and they might even do a time jump soon. Three things that I see are a real threat still is (1) complacency. Carl and Carol recognized this. (2) the herd. I think Rick and company will help beef things up defensive wise with all they have learned from the prison but that is still a big threat. (3) Envious invaders. There are plenty of people out there who would love to exploit the resources of this community. I do not think a whole lot of infighting will take issue here, I think they will meld together with the usual push and shove and resolve things but as a whole this is a good place to be for them to be now. The priest I'm sure will start a church seeing as he really has had nothing to say or do for several episodes now. Yes, I like this moment. I think what Rick said at the end, he meant, but it was really put there for dramatic effect. Like I said, there always seems to be some dramatic conflict woven into this show. Funny thing is, you don't even need a zombie apocalypse to have that, it's just human nature.

Will be interesting to find out the backstory to Enid(?), where are the rest of her group or did she arrive alone? If it was alone then I'm with others in thinking that she's a plant from the 'W' group, hence the detachment from the others, don't want to get too buddy with people you're about to kill. On the other hand if there were others in her group where are they now? Were those the others that got killed on the supply run? In which case are the occupants of Alexandria looking to Rick's group to do the scavenging for them? Only time will tell, but as pointed out it certainly didn't look like Aiden and his friend had that much experience outside the walls.

One other thing, they may have survived so much because, as the 'Governess' pointed out, much of the area was evacuated prior to the fall, so the zombie headcount might be much lower where they are, migratory patterns aside...

One other thing, they may have survived so much because, as the 'Governess' pointed out, much of the area was evacuated prior to the fall, so the zombie headcount might be much lower where they are, migratory patterns aside...

They're going to get a nasty shock when the companions of those Glen mowed down on the road turn up, then. It's hard to work out the distance, but it's at least within a couple of hours drive, I think, so that herd is definitely a threat.

Ok, so I guess I'm alright with this place. Seems like they need help more than any else that might be going on.
Daryl's comments were classic! "We brought dinner." and to Carol "You look ridiculous!" I'm loving Carol's approach to the new community. Smart IMO.
I also think that girl took Rick's gun. And Glenn, great punch! Did anyone see Scott Ian as one of the zombies? He was the one on the ground where Rick stashed his gun.

Glenn, great punch!

Indeed, he floored Aiden with one punch, and I literally clapped at him because that dick was asking for it. He said that he almost made it lieutenant, but he didn't and it's better that way because the way he lead his group was atrocious. Lieutenant is the lowest rank in the officer ladder, and he didn't even make that, which says quite a lot about him, because a good leader would had given his group a chance to choose their tools (weapons), while a great one would had studied the group and then made a decision. And when Glenn confronted him in the woods for keeping a zombie in the chains, he dug a hole under his feet. So I'm glad that Glenn, the pizza guy, dropped him on deck.

Interesting episode. I'm not terribly sure about Alexandria. Feels like there might be a bit of a power struggle developing between Deanna and her son, with Deanna looking to use Rick and his group as muscle to win the day. I'd like to know where Deanna's architecture professor husband is. He's conspicuous in his absence. I half suspect he was one of the ones that were banished - which may explain some ill will between mother and son. As has been remarked, he also designed some crappy walls.

There's a lot going on, with not a lot of obvious answers as to where the rest of this season is heading.

I only started the series last fall and binge watched it in a month on Netflix...I really don't like having to wait a week to see what's going to happen.

I'm looking forward to the spin-off coming out

They're going to get a nasty shock when the companions of those Glen mowed down on the road turn up, then. It's hard to work out the distance, but it's at least within a couple of hours drive, I think, so that herd is definitely a threat.

Indeed, it's only a hypothesis, and this may be the first herd that they will have come across. But of course there could be a completely different reason (as per the rest of my post), whatever the reason I'm sure the governess has plans for the crew...