Leonard Nimoy dies at 83

This isn't really unexpected considering his recent health, but it is very sad. :( Leonard Nimoy was a talented and versatile man.

RIP Leonard. You were a true Icon and will be missed.

I guess a lot of people around here will be hit by this.

I grew up in the 1970's when Star Trek was on the TV regularly. It was a Monday night, and it seemed to be a fixture. The faces of Kirk, Spock and McCoy (not to mention all the others) were one of the shows we would play in the playground.

I can remember one of my friends being a huge Spock fan, he had a little figure, and I used to make near life size Trek characters for my friends...

It's just one of those things, Star Trek was a constant through my childhood years, and almost inevitably Spock was part of that. Like anyone I would move away from Trek, then back again and have been recently been rewatching the original series on Blu-ray.

Leonard Nimoy though was so much more than Spock, although it was the character he will always be associated with. In recent years he provided voice work - and what a voice he had - and almost stole the show when he appeared in Fringe.

As I suppose will become more common as I grow older another part of my childhood is taken away, but the memories remain, and the episodes and films.

"He's really not dead, as long as we remember him." McCoy reflects at the end of the Wrath of Khan, and for all the fans old and new who watch an episode of Star Trek and are taken in by the pointed eared, green blooded alien, what could be a more true, more fitting epitaph?

Good post Perp. I'm a little younger but I have 3 older brothers who all watched Star Trek and anything Space related, so obviously I was exposed to it all from a young age. I have a lot of fond memories of Spock and it all. I loved his role in the Star Trek revamp as well.

This reminded me of a cool video that my brother made a few years ago, to a Lenard Nimoy cover song he sang. So as Perp said, he was a well rounded man who did a lot of talented things. Check out the video and enjoy a little Nimoy history.

https://vimeo.com/18550300

He was very good in Mission Impossible too.

Death is evil.

At one stage he was very annoyed by the "Spock" thing, then much later he appreciated it. As reflected in titles of two of his books.

Sad news indeed. Without Spock I doubt Star Trek would have become the classic it is. Only a great actor can make a character great.

Respects to his family and for his work. He lived long and prospered. Loved his last tweet, a great man.

Very sad news indeed. Between Star Trek and Fringe he provided 2 excellent sci-fi characters who I will always remember.
And from all I've heard he was a good person, too.