Alien 5 coming - from Neill Blomkamp

Uhm, the hardest part of writing for the Aliens series - would have to be explaining the 'science' of their life cycle. How the heck does that little facehugger inject a big worm into someone, in a matter of hours, how does it grow? Then, how does the little critter become human-sized, in a matter of hours, with all those gallons of acid blood?
Nobody mentions this, but it is the single biggest glitch in the whole series, the creatures are highly illogical. Therefore. maybe they are genetically engineered. By who or what, and why?

the creatures are highly illogical. Therefore. maybe they are genetically engineered. By who or what, and why?
Will the real Spock please stand up.

Well as poor as the Prometheus film is it does give an answer to that question. The "Space Jockeys" engineered them.

I think the more you would try to explain the science the more holes would appear. With little information we are just left believing they are amazing creatures with an unusual and scary lifecycle.

In real life, there's that wasp that paralyses spiders and lay eggs in them. Forgot the name of the species.

Surprised no horror films have had been made with giant mutant wasps paralysing nubile young ladies and laying eggs in them. That's not sexist, horror films usually do the nastiest things to women. But if a horror film is made with giant mutant wasps laying eggs in nubile young men, I'd still watch it!

Nobody mentions this, but it is the single biggest glitch in the whole series, the creatures are highly illogical.

I don't see why that's a "glitch." Who watches the Alien films for logical science? They're more about confrontation with primal (sexual, identity, animal) fears, and/or great character, plot and action. There are plenty of nature documentaries around if you want logical science!

Yes... but that's what separates 'science fiction' from the realms of trite rubbish, innit? The 'S' word.
I'm not surprised nobody's taken a run at it. Early on we figured they must be absorbing metal somehow. The word chemistry comes to mind.
Two more Alien films? And they will be shootups with the usual cliches? Ech.
Prometheus was a mistake, easy to ignore it utterly and get back on track with this series. Obviously the Predators are going to be around, as is the race from the ship in 79. We await the great elephant-head aliens who were transporting Aliens around, geee wotever happened to them?
After enough action and Ripley antics, this series will live or die based on the quality of writing, not rounds fired. I expect fehhh but hey it's a big galaxy, anything can happen.

Obviously the Predators are going to be around, as is the race from the ship in 79. We await the great elephant-head aliens who were transporting Aliens around, geee wotever happened to them?
This link implies they are the same race as the "space jockeys" from Alien and Prometheus, although shown differently in some sources. Prometheus suggested the strange looking head was just the helmet.

Mala'kak

"
In Mark Verheiden's comic book series Aliens, a Space Jockey-like creature is encountered, and is able to communicate telepathically with humans. It is shown with pink skin, a tail and an elephantine trunk, and yellow, cross-shaped eyes. In the novels the Space Jockey's race are shown to be malevolent, only refraining from attacking humans due to their immense hatred of the Xenomorphs; a common enemy. They intend to wipe out and/or enslave humanity once their war with the Xenomorphs is over. Later books never expand on the idea.

In the more recent book, Aliens: Original Sin, the Space Jockeys are mentioned and discussed throughout the book. Towards the end the reader learns that they are trying to breed a group of Aliens. "

Has there been any more word on this movie? It seems a bit confusing now with this discussion of the Prometheus sequel being renamed Alien something. I thought that the Prometheus sequel was supposed to be dropped because no one wanted it and that Alien 5 was supposed to be all systems go... but now I'm not so sure.

As for whether there's any life left in the series, I'd say one could ask that question of many film franchises. The better franchises usually stem from movies that can stand well enough alone anyway so there's often little need for them. But people do enjoy seeing more of the same, just repackaged. And there could be fun to be had. New settings. Having a queen alien that moves with an appropriate appearance of weight instead of appearing like a top-heavy puppet on legs that couldn't possibly support it. Having some characters try to trace the aliens back to their point of origin and retcon Prometheus out of existence...

So many possiblities.

It would take a damned good film to wipe the bad taste of Prometheus out of my mind. Shudder. Twitch. (If we have remote-controlled drones that can zip around and transmit a 3-D hologram of the whole interior, why do we send in our entire scientific team to make stupid mistakes and meet with disaster?)

Apparently Ridley Scott is set to make the Prometheus sequel early this year, now named Prometheus: Alien Harvest with the Blomkamp Alien film set to be made after this or the third Prometheus movie.

With three upcoming movies, a Shane Black written, possibly directed Predator film in the works, a Bladerunner sequel and the ongoing Star Wars films, that should cover sci-fi fans appetites for a few years.

Oh, and the West World tv series looking promising, too.

Curious. So there's going to be a Prometheus prequel-type series running concurrently with an Alien sequel series and - given the 'Alien Harvest' bit - at some point, the two shall meet?

I've got to wonder though, given the mess that Prometheus was, what the point of continuing the project is. It's hard to see how anything could be salvaged out of the wreckage. I'm like you, Denise; that film had a bitter aftertaste for me as well.

And, did I read right, Stuart? Years after being killed by a Predator, Shane Black's now going to direct a movie about one? That's kind of cool.

For me, Predator's always been a very poor man's alternative to Alien - someone who's destitute really - but it did have some value as a switch-your-brain-off action flick. And if Shane Black's sequel can recapture some of that stupidity with a simple but catchy Alan Silvestri-esque score, it might be worth a look.

Yea, you did read it right. But it looks like the next Prometheus film is still called Alien: Covenant, but without Noomi Rapace or whatever her name is.

Well, maybe the Prometheus sequel might have some hope then. At least that should mean the story won't be about Noomi's character hanging out with an android's head. That said, pretending Prometheus never existed seems easier and more logical.

Well, maybe the Prometheus sequel might have some hope then. At least that should mean the story won't be about Noomi's character hanging out with an android's head. That said, pretending Prometheus never existed seems easier and more logical.

That film was a disappointment. I don't hold out much hope for the sequel.

I have no particular desire to see Ridley Scots film.