Other Writers Doing Lovecraftian Mythos stories

1. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

Lumley wrote a 4 book sequel series the Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath. It wasn't great but, I found it entertaining. :)

Jul 19, 2015
  2. j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator

Um, I think you got your wires crossed on that one. The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath was a short novel (or novelette, if you wish) by Lovecraft. Lumley's set of books was simply known as "the Dreamlands series". I've had them on my shelves for quite a long while, but never got around to reading them yet. I have to be in the mood for Lumley, and that hasn't happened in a while....

Jul 20, 2015
  3. BAYLOR

Inspired by Lovecraft then ?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    Jul 20, 2015
  4. j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator

Oh, most definitely. Nor was this the first time Lumley had visited Lovecraft's "Dreamlands",* as he had such stories as "Dylath-Leen" in the collection The Caller of the Black, as well as blending the "Sarnath" setting and incidents (at least by implication) into his story "The Sister City", which he later expanded into the short novel Beneath the Moors... an odd sort of blending of Lovecraft with John Uri Lloyd's Etidorpha, itself a book with which HPL was familiar and which may have inspired certain aspects of some of his tales. Lumley has frequently blended the "Dreamlands" and "Mythos" streams in his work, following HPL's own statement that all his tales were interrelated. In much the same way, albeit to a lesser degree, he makes nods to Lovecraft -- particularly The Case of Charles Dexter Ward -- in his Necroscope series.

*Which, by the way, is a description Joshi has problems with, as in the earlier tales, as he argues quite well, what we have are either dreamers who are dealing with ancestral memories, i.e., "Polaris", or stories of an ancient earth, such as "The Doom that Came to Sarnath", or outright dream-stories, such as "Celephais", whose setting Lovecraft later incorporated into a common "Dreamlands" setting for Kadath.

Jul 20, 2015
  5. David Hambling

David Hambling New Member

Mythos pirate stories is a great idea, and there is one story set on the high seas -- though the influence is Joseph Conrad rather than RLS. I'll let you judge whether they really are adventures. The spirit invoked is HPL as science enthusiast rather than as 18th-century prose-monger, so there's a bit more science than in many Mythos stories. I really can't answer for ST's generous praise, but I hope you enjoy the collection.

Jul 21, 2015
  6. anno

anno Well-Known Member

The Handsome Family...

Jul 23, 2015
  7. BAYLOR

The 37th Mandala by Mark Laidlaw.

Jul 27, 2015
  8. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch I am not a Geek, I am a Level 22 Warrior!

Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Principality of Wales
    Check out the "Laundry" series of novels by Charles Stross.
    They are very Lovecraftian in content, and make ref too the Elder Gods etc quite often.
    they are often very funny novels, but really dark too. In a way its kind of "James Bond in the Mountains of Madness"

The idea is, magic is real, all kinds of supernatural beasts and demons are real, they are simply lifeforms from other realities.
    It's all about fractal patterns and maths, you use lasers for example to draw a fractal/occult symbols into the floor, turn up the power and you get a portal to another reality. Bob the Protagonist discovered this as a CompSci student at Birmingham University. He devised a program that created fractals, which were doing strange things. He was saved by an agent of the Laundry after his fractal nearly pulled over an entity that would have destroyed the West Midlands. When people discover that this is all real, they only get 1 offer, come work for the Laundry, or vanish into a grave. It's how they control the public from knowing about the spooky stuff.
    The Laundry is the British Government Department who's job is to Protect the Queen's Realm from the Scum of the Multiverse.

Sep 28, 2017
    MiskatonicFiles likes this.