Actors who should have been or should be the Doctor

Locales in the US and American assistants is great, but the Doctor is quintessentially British. I'm not sure how popular an American Doctor would go down as in the States anyway?

Fair point on the actor

One thing I would love to see is have them bring a writer or two of note from the outside to pen a an upside for tther series. For example, Id love to to see William Gibson , the man who gave us Necromancer do a VR themed episode of Dr Who or maybe a Cyberman episode . That could be fun. :cool:

Your right none of the actors who played the Doctor really did much in film afterwards . If they did anything , it was mostly confined to television. Your right , had Cumberbatch taken the role of the Doctor, he likely never would gotten to play Dr Strange in the Marvel films.

Eccleston managed to get cast for Thor: The Dark World. Capaldi usually does a film a year.

Fair point on the actor

One thing I would love to see is have them bring a writer or two of note from the outside to pen a an upside for tther series. For example, Id love to to see William Gibson , the man who gave us Necromancer do a VR themed episode of Dr Who or maybe a Cyberman episode . That could be fun. :cool:
Neuromancer. As much as I love his writing I'm not sure Gibson could do a good teleplay.

Fair point on the actor

I believe you mean Neuromancer.

I've thought a number of people would make great doctors over the years, including:
  • Matthew Goode (maybe to similar to DT)
  • Cillian Murphy (far too notable now, and I read he only works half the year or less)
  • Daniel Radcliffe
Recently, I've been thinking of Richard Ayoade. I think he has the right quirkiness for the role. Not sure how good a dramatic actor he is having never seen him in anything. But I suspect the producers will be looking for something other than a white male for Doctor 14.

Of course, if they can't improve the sub-par, exposition-heavy, vacuous storytelling for poor Jodie's 3rd season, then it might be 'a new job' the producers have to look for first!

I've thought a number of people would make great doctors over the years, including:
  • Matthew Goode (maybe to similar to DT)
  • Cillian Murphy (far too notable now, and I read he only works half the year or less)
  • Daniel Radcliffe
Recently, I've been thinking of Richard Ayoade. I think he has the right quirkiness for the role. Not sure how good a dramatic actor he is having never seen him in anything. But I suspect the producers will be looking for something other than a white male for Doctor 14.

Of course, if they can't improve the sub-par, exposition-heavy, vacuous storytelling for poor Jodie's 3rd season, then it might be 'a new job' the producers have to look for first!

I agree. The producers and script writers make or break a movie or tv series, no matter who the lead actors are. Look at 'original' Who; the tv series rapidly went down hill when they lost the likes of Terance Dicks, Douglas Adams, Terry Nation, Robert Holmes etc.

The classic example is Game of Thrones. Amazing, fantastic, riveting - whilst the producers had the storylines from the books - but then look how bad they went. Same actors, same budgets, even better technology for effects; but the storytelling became lazy and non-sensical and it went from a gripping tale of intrigue to a series of poorly contrived set piece battles.

I agree. The producers and script writers make or break a movie or tv series, no matter who the lead actors are. Look at 'original' Who; the tv series rapidly went down hill when they lost the likes of Terance Dicks, Douglas Adams, Terry Nation, Robert Holmes etc.

The classic example is Game of Thrones. Amazing, fantastic, riveting - whilst the producers had the storylines from the books - but then look how bad they went. Same actors, same budgets, even better technology for effects; but the storytelling became lazy and non-sensical and it went from a gripping tale of intrigue to a series of poorly contrived set piece battles.
I've only just finished series 4 so I suppose I am yet to witness the decline.
But agree completely with names you mentioned.

What about David Walliams. I don’t like him, personally, but he would be a quirky Doctor.

They are to old now alas but my two choices would always have been David McCallum after his portrayal of Steel from Sapphire and Steel and in the same vein Joanna Lumley, who played Sapphire. Sapphire and Steel is one of the most underrated TV shows ever next to Blakes 7 for me.

Yeah, making the Doctor American would be too off putting even for American audiences. But making the Master American would be the cherry on top of the antithesis sundae.

Walton Goggins from Justified and the Almighty Gemstones would be a phenomenal choice. Nothing says evil like a psychotic redneck with a TARDIS!!

764e6d7e13372e9f07ec4566b2923d95.gif