Actors who should have been or should be the Doctor

Eddie Redmayne would fit right in there for me :)

eddie.jpg

I believe Daniel Craig is available...

Maxine Peake - She would be a more scary than funny Doc. She can do comedy but also hard and dark... So if they ever do a Dr Who - After Hours series, she'd be my vote.
And while I do think he is a good actor, I'd like to see Patrick Robinson as the Doctor for his voice alone.

Maybe now fading, but for the voice - Charles Dance, who would have been my choice for Saruman.

I know he's American, but Stanley Tucci's always struck me as a fine actor. Can be a little Quirky. What about Sam Rockwell?

Whatever else the Doctor must be British. The role also requires an person who is larger than life, who can be humorous but also sentimental but who above all is normal whilst at the same time being otherworldly and with an ego to match. Eddie Izard would have made a great Doctor so would Benedict Cumberbatch.

But above all the series requires great writers and directors and an as little interference from the Beeb as possible, something it sadly hasn't had since the time of Tom Baker.

Whatever else the Doctor must be British. The role also requires an person who is larger than life, who can be humorous but also sentimental but who above all is normal whilst at the same time being otherworldly and with an ego to match. Eddie Izard would have made a great Doctor so would Benedict Cumberbatch.

But above all the series requires great writers and directors and an as little interference from the Beeb as possible, something it sadly hasn't had since the time of Tom Baker.

Why ? There's a few US actors who could play the Doctor very convincingly. One thing Id love to see is a few more US actors of note do guest spots on the Doctor, that could be fun. :) I loved it when the show came to us to do scenes, It was cool seeing the Doctor and company in Central Park New York. and out west. :cool:

BBC executives and managers doing less meddling and interfering would be a very helpful, but that's not going to happen.

Last edited:
Cumberbatch was actually offered the role before Matt Smith

I didn't know this, but I guess with Moffat and Gatiss being fans of him it would have been unsurprising. It also wouldn't surprise me if BC had a choice between playing the Doctor or Sherlock , and latter left more lattitude for the character to become his own.

I didn't know this, but I guess with Moffat and Gatiss being fans of him it would have been unsurprising. It also wouldn't surprise me if BC had a choice between playing the Doctor or Sherlock , and latter left more lattitude for the character to become his own.

Cumberbatch in the role of Doctor might have changed the course of the series completely .

Cumberbatch in the role of Doctor might have changed the course of the series completely .

I agree, and it may also have changed the course of his career. With Hollywood beckoning, Doctor Who is not necessarily a good career step. A guaranteed paycheque for several years and a place in history but the danger of being typecast and stuck in the role. Has any actor playing the Doctor on tv had a successful movie career afterwards?

Why ? There's a few US actors who could play the Doctor very convincingly. One thing Id love to see is a few more US actors of note do guest spots on the Doctor, that could be fun. :) I loved it when the show came to us to do scenes, It was cool seeing the Doctor and company in Central Park New York. and out west. :cool:

BBC executives and managers doing less meddling and interfering would be a very helpful, but that's not going to happen.

Locales in the US and American assistants is great, but the Doctor is quintessentially British. I'm not sure how popular an American Doctor would go down as in the States anyway?

I agree, and it may also have changed the course of his career. With Hollywood beckoning, Doctor Who is not necessarily a good career step. A guaranteed paycheque for several years and a place in history but the danger of being typecast and stuck in the role. Has any actor playing the Doctor on tv had a successful movie career afterwards?

Your right none of the actors who played the Doctor really did much in film afterwards . If they did anything , it was mostly confined to television. Your right , had Cumberbatch taken the role of the Doctor, he likely never would gotten to play Dr Strange in the Marvel films.