What are Your Favorite Sword and Sandal Films?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Both Historically based and Fantasy .:)

I'm no expert on these things, but I've seen a few. The Giant of Metropolis[/i] (1961) is fun for its oddball combination of ancient stuff and science fiction. Hercules in the Haunted World (1961) is interesting for its setting in Hades, and for the atmospheric visuals from director Mario Bava, and for having Christopher Lee as the bad guy.

Ben Hur with Charlton Heston . It's my favorite Heston film, epic stuff. (y)

Gladiator with Russell Crowe. Harkens back to the epics of the 50's and 60's . First rate stuff. (y)

I loved Jason and the Argonauts, perhaps more to do with Ray Harryhausen's work than anything else.

The first Clash of the Titans.

Absolutely. Classic stuff.

I have a fondness for both of Arnie's Conan films and the Beastmaster.

300. Epic! The sequel, not so much.

Last edited:
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules This film is one of the best send ups of the sword and sandal genres of all time ! :D(y)

Last edited:
Ator the Invincible and Thor the Conqueror take some beating in my books.

Oh! and The Arena - which is basically a Women in Prison Film set in Roman times which is an awesome enough idea - even without the added bonus of Pam Grier naked.

Last edited:
Cleopatra 1963. It was an expensive flop for 20th Century Fox , made for the then unheard of price of 44 million dollars which is roughly 250 million dollars in todays money.The film only grossed about 20 million and it very nearly put Fox out of business. It had Elizabeth Taylor in the title role and at the height of her career, Rex Harrison as Caesar , Richard Burton as Mark Anthony. Great cast and a stunning film. It's a classic. (y)

The original Conan is a classic. Loved Spartacus, Olivier was great as Crassus.

Kubrick's 'Spartacus' by far!

Not only for Kubrick's visionary direction, but for a stunning performance from Kirk Douglas, and a typically triumphant role for Laurence Olivier.

But better than that, was the terrific score by Alex North, especially during the opening credits.

Kubrick's 'Spartacus' by far!

Not only for Kubrick's visionary direction, but for a stunning performance from Kirk Douglas, and a typically triumphant role for Laurence Olivier.

But better than that, was the terrific score by Alex North, especially during the opening credits.

And yet Kubrick disliked this particular film.

And yet Kubrick disliked this particular film.

Agreed, although I guess things weren't helped by the apparent reticence of Douglas on most of the sets; clash of egos I suppose. But the end result was still terrifically done!

Agreed, although I guess things weren't helped by the apparent reticence of Douglas on most of the sets; clash of egos I suppose. But the end result was still terrifically done!

It's my favorite Kirk Douglass film.(y)

The Last Days of Pompeii The Miriam Cooper film.

The Ten Commandments 1956 . Hugely entertaining and visually, still one of the greatest movies of all time . (y)

Ben Hur with its cast of thousands and live action stunts. Well deserved Oscar for Heston.