Ash vs The Evil Dead Series

ctg

weaver of the unseen
You might have heard rumours about Bruce taking the role of Ash once again and do a series, and that is now becoming reality very fast, as Raimi is planning to start shooting this thing in few months time.

ScifiNow has more information.

The cast for Starz’ upcoming Ash Vs Evil Dead TV show has started to take shape.

Deadline reports that Ray Santiago (Touch, Suburban Gothic) and Dana DeLorenzo (A Very Harold And Kumar Christmas) will join Bruce Campbell in fighting the Deadite hordes in the 10 episode series from Campbell, Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert.

Campbell will reprise his role as Ash, described as the “aging lothario and chainsaw-handed monster hunter who has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead. When a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind, Ash is finally forced to face his demons – personal and literal.”
http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/ash-vs-evil-dead-tv-series-casting-confirmed-and-new-details/

Question in my mind is: Is this going to challenge The Walking Dead on viewership ratings?

Three words: yes, yes, YES!

Saw the trailer of this today.

I have very fond memories of the Evil Dead movies. This looks very entertaining. It's a different beast to The Walking Dead with different target audiences. I suspect this show will be more a cult following than the broad audience Walking Dead gets.

But I love that Starz are doing it. That means they won't ruin it with censoring. Stars is up there with HBO in regards to gratuitous content.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was disappeared for a reason, when it wasn't visible even on its creation day. I'm surprised.

I hope they can bring it back after the ghastly recent movie. Evil Dead has a real sense of humour, without it it's just another goreFest.

The problem with the recent reboot movie was that it was trying to be all serious like. They'd given up on that the first time around for a good reason: it works better as a comedy. It was also Bruce Campbell as Ash Williams who made the show what it was, his unique style of humour and acting.

It is without doubt a comedy this time around, and Ash is a feature character instead of just a cameo appearance during the credits.

Reactions: ctg
It was Raimi, and it was the combination of humor/horror that made it great. It's a fine line, and the last movie was pure rubbish in comparison.

Let's not forget that Sam Raimi was still involved in the latest movie as a producer, he helped make it...

Maybe it's just me who doesn't think much of Raimi, I don't know... but as far as I'm concerned, Raimi isn't all that good... He occasionally gets it right, but most of his stuff has been rather sub average. His Spiderman movies were pretty weak, his original TV show productions (Hercules and Xena) were very trashy (although I'll admit that for some reason people outside of NZ still watched them regularly -- I guess it was just a Kiwi thing to hate on them.). And let's not forget he produced the horrific Legend of the Seeker.

The silliness of the first Evil Dead movies wasn't intentional. Raimi had originally wanted them to be serious. Here's what Bruce Campbell had to say on the matter:

Boston.com: The original “Evil Dead” is a pretty gruesome horror flick, but many of the over-the-top scenes come across as being humorous. Does the film function, in some ways, more as a comedy than a scary movie?

Campbell: You’re completely wrong about that. It’s not a comedy at all. It was never intended to be a comedy. What you have is very extreme situations that will make people laugh. Somebody gets stabbed in the Achilles with a pencil and blood comes gushing out—some people are going to laugh. The dialogue is all straight, it’s delivered straight, which is why the remake was done serious as well. The original “Evil Dead” has very hokey dialogue delivered by very inexperienced actors. You’re going to get some comedy out of that potentially, but there are also some good horrific moments.

The pundits have made it into a comedy, and they’re so wrong. When some of the reviews for the “Evil Dead” remake in 2013 were like, “This movie has no comedy like the original,” it’s like, what are you talking about? A woman got raped by a f-----g tree in the original. To me, that’s not funny.
Source: http://www.boston.com/entertainment...y-you-think/UXYI3qkIzJswTb54rKIeLP/story.html

Obviously Bruce Campbell does humour better than serious, but trying to credit his natural comedic talent to Raimi is blasphemy imo. I very much doubt the humour we see in Army of Darkness would be the same without Bruce Campbell.

Last edited:
Okay, so Sam was worked around, and three good movies were made, with a specific style and sense of humour that really worked. It's a fine line that makes the Evil Dead series watchable. Very easy to turn into slashola mindless crud, like the remake was. I started fast-forwarding that one and even that was dull. Gore's a bore unless it's done with a razor wit. (!) and somehow they pulled it off.
yer right, it is Bruce makes it work. The first ED was not funny at all. It didn't catch on, I didn't even watch it because it looked like standard crud. It still isn't funny. But then it took off with Bruce's performance in ED2.
It's only 'funny' in relation to the endless rubbish out there, but that's an awful lot of bloody rubbish. *

Eo8uMcv.jpg

Hail to the King!

But only because of Bruce

It's not just because of Bruce but because Raimi's in it as well. Plus it's the infamous Evil Dead made as a series that makes this so much more interesting then some other recent shows, which I don't want to mention. I too hope it'll be seen in the tellie, but at the same time I'm afraid it's not going to make it because of its content. The people who censor things just don't understand the grim humour that went into making the movies so bloody good.

Despite the fact I love Bruce Campbell (and actually the whole Renaissance company), I think I'm most excited by the fact that Lucy Lawless is going to be in this.

Despite the fact I love Bruce Campbell (and actually the whole Renaissance company), I think I'm most excited by the fact that Lucy Lawless is going to be in this.

Loved Lucy in Spartacus, and of course, Xena. And she can definitely kiss all sorts of ass!

Bruce & Lucy = perfect cocktail for drama, horror, suspense, comedy and a bit of hanky panky no doubt!

Groovy news, this. Before season 1 of Ash Vs. Evil Dead has even begun its televised run, its home network Starz has decided to green-light a second season.

“One season isn’t enough to satisfy the fans’ two decade-long appetite for more Ash,” said Starz big cheese Carmi Zlotnik. “The early fan and press support, along with the international broadcaster demand for more story have made it clear that the adventures of Ash Williams can’t end with season one.”

This shouldn’t come as news to star Bruce Campbell, who said this at New York Comic Con earlier in October:

“Look, we got a second season the minute there were 15 million views on Facebook for the trailer. That was our second season right there, I can tell you right now. They were like, ‘Got it! We know this show now!’ They were finally convinced of its following.”

Ash Vs. Evil Dead comes hotly anticipated, not least for reuniting Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell. The first season premiers in the USA on Saturday the 31st of October.

As of yet, it doesn’t have a UK broadcaster. But we’ll keep you updated on that.
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/ash-vs-evil-dead/37544/ash-vs-evil-dead-renewed-for-second-season

just seen e1 and really enjoyed it... jokey and gory it's more Army of Darkness than full on horror. Curious to see where this goes

The broomsticks,chainsaws and those nasty evil dead are back ! :D I saw the premier and I absolutely loved it. This one is going to be one hell of a fun ride. (y)

It still makes me wonder why they banned the movies in first place. Never mind, I loved seeing old Bruce still kicking the ass and stealing hearts, but as a series I hope Raimi aims to go deeper than what he ever were able to do with the movies.