Rape in fiction is tricky.

anthorn

Rape will always be a tricky subject in fiction, particularly Fantasy fiction and so many people abuse or mishandle it. They do it for the drama and to force emotional connections. I think this is down to the author not exploring the consequences afterwards, or doing it in a half assed way. Do not handle this subject if you haven't done some research, or if you've little confidence in your ability to do it decently.

You also shouldn't give it as a reason as to why a certain character is evil, or does evil things, but this is debatable. I'm sure it's reasonable if it's not the ONLY factor in a character's choices.

Also, threats of rape is just tacky. It's cheap heat to quote a wrestling term.

This is just my view as I work over my hand written notes from years ago, and notice my mistakes. These are also mistakes I've been using today and tried to amend.

Two sisters, one who views the younger as a little too carefree and the younger who views the elder as a bit of a killjoy, too serious for her own good. When the younger sister is attacked the elder sister escapes while the younger is taken away and sold. (This is different from rape causes the conflict, but rather adds to it between the sisters)

When the sisters meet years later, the younger sister is bitter and twisted at the life she suffered while the eldest had a good life. Instead of just being bitter and twisted from what the life she was forced to lead, she instead works her way into a position to bring down a human trafficking ring and wants her sister to finally say she's proud of her.

That's how I've amended my notes and ideas.

Sounds like a cross between Sense and Sensibility and Memoirs of a Geisha, with a just a twist of Taken.

This older sister never tries to find out what happened to her younger sister? Just goes one to "live a good life"?
I'm sure it's just the way you've worded it here, but all your characters sound 2D in this gloss over.
This thread holds some pretty extensive opinions on the treatment of rape in fantasy, and I think covers alot of what an author needs to consider when they consider using it. My offer still stands, anyone who wants me to go over their treatment of the subject is welcome to PM me for contact details or to just discuss it.

I will also echo the sentiment that research should be done before considering its use. Many of the mistakes that are made, besides the standard misogynistic ones, are due to authors having little knowledge of the topic. That, combined with a patriarchal starting point, is where you get that particularly insidious trope of it somehow 'empowering' female characters.

But there still needs to be the perpetual question: why use it? It is not a shortcut to serious, or gritty, or dark, or realism. One must have a reasonable purpose for including it besides trying to be edgy or dark.

Empowering or utterly destroying female characters with A Fate Worse Than Death.

I, too, would like to mention the thread hope linked to. We discussed the subject in detail (<-- understatement).

Empowering or utterly destroying female characters with A Fate Worse Than Death.

I, too, would like to mention the thread hope linked to. We discussed the subject in detail (<-- understatement).

I feel we just make it the default thread whan anyone mentions rape in writing. Can it be stickied? It contained some really good, well thought out posts (and some very moving ones.)

I don't think anthorn has said the younger sister is raped. I thought it was that she wasn't, but was abducted. We also don't know what efforts the older sister has made to locate her so we can't make any assumptions there either. The way I read the OP it was that 'rape should be avoided, and here's how I did it.' or am I getting it wrong? (wouldn't be the first time ;)

Add me to the chorus of approval; that aforementioned thread was a great one and should be made standard for anyone even thinking about this topic!

pH

Sounds like a cross between Sense and Sensibility and Memoirs of a Geisha, with a just a twist of Taken.

This older sister never tries to find out what happened to her younger sister? Just goes one to "live a good life"?
I'm sure it's just the way you've worded it here, but all your characters sound 2D in this gloss over.
This thread holds some pretty extensive opinions on the treatment of rape in fantasy, and I think covers alot of what an author needs to consider when they consider using it. My offer still stands, anyone who wants me to go over their treatment of the subject is welcome to PM me for contact details or to just discuss it.

Like I mentioned, I'm going through old notes. But the sister does try and find out what happened to her sister, she comes across people close by who help her look but eventually gives up looking. Seventeen years later, she returns to the country in the hopes of finding a definitive answer to the sister's fate.

I am considering dropping 'this' aspect of it, because I think the whole bad relationship dynamic could stand on its own rather than risking becoming rape as background story entry number 600 on television troupes.

And because the rape is implied rather than said actually happens.

Changed from rape to sold as a slave.