Daario Naharis and Ben Plumm dragon riders?

Groot

I always though that the other two dragon riders would be main characters, but after re-reading the last Dany chapter in A Storm of Sword, Daario and Ben Plumm seem likely candidates. (or at least they did at that point).

Daario had plundered himself a whole new wardrobe in Meereen, and to match it he had redyed his trident beard and curly hair a deep rich purple. It made his eyes look almost purple too, as if he were some lost Valyrian.

Brown Ben Plumm, so beloved of her dragons.

In between these two paragraphs is Dany thinking:

The dragon has three heads.

Could these two be more important to the story than they first appear?

If I prove to be wrong, I'll take my lumps from you all but my feelings on this matter are simple. "Not a chance in hell!"

Dany knows (or will someday wake up to know) that her dalliance with Daario cannot last. She cannot be a wanton upon the Iron Throne. She needs two riders... one male, one female. The male must be of Targaryen blood to continue her family name and the female must be fertile to continue the dynasty. Daario may love Dany and show her more loyalty than Viserys, Jorah, and Ben, but he is not a Targ, nor has he shown any more ability to bond with a dragon that Dany's current husband, Hizdahr.

Ben, on the other hand, has already betrayed Dany once. I doubt he'll get a second chance. But in case he does, just remember he claims to be decended from the Targs... and Dany's dragons seemed to like him.

That being said, neither will get a dragon or a seat beside the Iron Throne. Dany will invade Westeros with a Dothraki horde. Dany's dynasty cannot rule by martial law forever, she'll need the cooperation of the nobles... the great houses. She'll need members of these families to be the heads. I think Tyrion, Jon, Sansa, and Arianne are the most likely choices.

Kiwi...
Dany, Jon, Sansa, Bran, and Theon are the main POV characters whom we're supposed to like, but whom I dislike. I'm hoping Dany will grow on me the way Sansa has. Sansa's sort of moved up from dislike to apathy. I don't dislike Dany as much as Theon, but still she's not likable. Her story is outstanding. It really allows for Jorah, Viserys, Drogo, Mirri Maaz Duur, BFS, Daario, and her travelling circus of a court to really shine. Belwas, Skahaz, Hizdahr, Quaithe, Missandei, Grey Worm, Mero, Ben, Pyat Pree, Xaro, bloodriders, handmaidens, and dragons all come to life in a completely separate story from medieval Westeros. As much as I don't like Dany, I devoured her chapters to find out about Jorah and BFS.

Tyrion and Aegon Blackfyre are the most likely, with Aegon betraying Dany and dying with a dragon early on in the conquest. With GRRM not afraid to kill people, one dragon at least will be a casualty.

On the Chrons... he's known as BFS. And then I've seen people also insert an F into Arthur Dayne's name as well.

Whether Aegon is a Targ, a Blackfyre, or a complete pretender his regnant name will be Targaryen.

Groot, I'd never thought of a dragon dying... and like you said, the rider would most likely perish with the mount. Hmmmm. I must dwell on this concept for a while...

Edit:

Narky, I just realized that you pulled that acronym from the middle of my post. That means you actually read it... thanks.

Boaz, you always go to a great deal of trouble to construct your arguments. Your posts are long because you've worked hard at them, surely it's just common courtesy to read it...

Whoever Aegon is, he DEFINATELY has targaryen blood due to his eyes and natural hair colour. Tyrion? Sorry, just can't see it. I'm probably wrong though...

Narky, I've worked hard? Great deal of trouble? Are you implying that I must exert myself to think? Actually, I should just be grateful someone reads them. So... I'll just say, "Thank you."

And Aegon's hair and eyes don't make him a Targaryen... they make him a Valyrian. Not all Valyrians are Targs. I believe Varys and Illyrio are trying to remake him into a Targ. A-roc has a theory that young Griff (Aegon) is actually Illyrio's son. I like that theory.

Well someone must have sired Young Griff and at this stage I can't see any reason why it couldn't be Illyrio. Plus that excerpt shows there is definitely some affection there...

as for the 3 heads of the dragons, i know Jon Snow is a big candidate. And i also know him not being near the dragons at the moment is kind of a lame excuse to rule him out. But i just don't want Jon Snow to have a dragon. To me jon is probably a targ *******. But he seems to me far more Lyanna's child then Rhaegars. Plus he was raised by Eddard Stark, in the north amidst the Old Gods. To me he is a winter child. I feel his northern connection would be 'damaged' if he suddenly went all fire and blood, and got himself a dragon. Above all, it feels like betrayal for Ghost. Who needs a dragon when you got a red-eyed white furred direwolf.

Dany knows (or will someday wake up to know) that her dalliance with Daario cannot last. She cannot be a wanton upon the Iron Throne. She needs two riders... one male, one female. The male must be of Targaryen blood to continue her family name and the female must be fertile to continue the dynasty.
Is the one male and one female requirement coming from a prophecy? The family lineage doesn't require parents to be dragon riders. Dany's parents didn't have the chance to ride dragons.
Though of course I wouldn't be surprised if the riders are Targs.

I don't totally agree with Boaz post. Say Dany's has children (i think she is once more capable of that), her lineage and name will probably take precedent before her husband's name. And even if she won't have children, the two other dragon targ riders can be both man or both woman. There's nowhere that says that the dragon riders will automatically also be dany's possible heirs to the throne. You don't have to be a dragon rider to inherit that it seems to me.

There was an idea in another thread, and I'm sorry, I can't credit the person who originally thought it. But the idea was that the 2 other dragon riders would be a man and a woman who would then provide Dany's Heir, since Dany can't/couldn't have children. (and I'm not convinced she will be able to)

Back