Gotham S114 The Fearsome Dr. Crane

Jesse412

Old Curmudgeon
I liked the intro. Nice to see Maria Thayer show up. Nod to Professor Pyg. Morena Baccarin needs more screen time. I found the Fish Mooney, Riddler and Penguin story lines uninteresting. Although the ending has me curious.

I haven't forgotten this series, and I have wrote things in episodic threads, but I don't know where they've gone. I kind of liked seeing Scarecrow's father playing a role in the Gotham and it makes sense. The boy couldn't best his father but instead he descended into even deeper hell. Poor Jonathan, and poor Dr Crane.

What I didn't like was Gordon playing hide the sausage with pretty a lady. He shouldn't have done that, but he did it anyway. It almost as if it meant to be that way. But in the meantime I am still wondering what makes E.Nigma to become Riddler. He certainly isn't leaving GCPD ... well, not in the way Captain wants it to happen.

In the meantime Maroni is realising thanks to Fish that he's in big sh*t because of Penguin, but he will never realise how big pile it is. Not in the way he's been handing the business. And I doubt he would ever be able to take over 'Roman' Falconi as Capo di Tuti, even if he's a bit more ruthless and bit more Italian than the big man. Still it has been very interesting to see the rise of Penguin.

I just wish that we would start seeing young Bruce finding the cave.

Last edited:
There wasn't enough of Mooney to be uninterested in - and, yeah, the ending was interesting. I find the Riddler story line pretty interesting in general but I feel like they introduce it too often for how slow it's moving or move it too slowly for how often it's introduced. As far as what makes (I think they spell it with a 'y') Nygma become the Riddler, I was thinking about that more than anything else (other than Morena Baccarin) after this episode. I initially was thinking he was maybe the master-villain-to-be acting as a wolf in sheep's clothing in the GCPD but I quickly realized that, at this point, he's actually honestly a "good" guy but I think he's just so totally weird and socially inept that he'll have increasingly bad experiences that result in his slipping into villainy. That happened tonight. While the coroner was corrupt and incompetent, Nygma did frame him for a crime he didn't commit. Which makes it Nygma's first crime (probably). And speaking of, what caused it - when he was doing the unofficial autopsy and the coroner and captain walked in and he threw up his hands and said, "What was I thinking?" and smacked himself on the forehead, leaving blood smeared on his forehead I burst out laughing. He's a weird dude.

I do think the Penguin storyline is yet another example of a problem in this show - too many people come too close to dying too many times, especially when we know they "can't" unless the show goes WAY the hell off canon. So it wouldn't have much effect anyway and gets really lame given the repetition. But it did give Maroni a chance to be great in his scenes. "That's a good secret. I've got a good secret, too." (Actually, this episode was Butchless. I still figure he pops back up, though - another guy with nine lives.)

Speaking of, I wish they'd do more with Kyle. She had a couple scenes and that's all good but she could have more actual storyline and decisive actions vs. just popping in and popping out.

Anyway - pretty decent episode but largely just marking time. The main "phobia" story wasn't bad (though it seems like it could have been more) and they at least seem to have firmly written in Baccarin's character now.

Reactions: ctg
Speaking of, I wish they'd do more with Kyle. She had a couple scenes and that's all good but she could have more actual storyline and decisive actions vs. just popping in and popping out.

Well said, I'm too interested on Kyle and I cannot wait to see how she starts mass fortunes as the comic readers know that at the point when she puts on the catsuit, she's wealthy enough to have her own penthouse in Gotham and Metropolis, where she eyes another man. You know who I mean.

I agree that Penguin's escape from the crusher was weak.. and we know that he can't die - unless of course they pull out some plot shenanigans where someone else takes on the Penguin persona later. But that seems convoluted, even for this show...

The Marone/Falcone stuff is interesting because there's less canon on the state of the crimeworld before the Joker comes in and takes over (on-screen canon anyway)

Kyle remains the best of the child actors, but her and Bruce seeing so much of each other makes them much more likely to recognise each other later when suited up.
at the point when she puts on the catsuit, she's wealthy enough to have her own penthouse
Perhaps she steals from Bruce to get herself started? And maybe she buys Gordon's penthouse since she seems to like the place so much!

Perhaps she steals from Bruce to get herself started? And maybe she buys Gordon's penthouse since she seems to like the place so much!

LOL. Sure. Bruce could do that, especially in his current mindset, and he wouldn't be even listen Alfred moans, just like he didn't listen when Ivy asked for a twenty note.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jeffbert Gotham 2
Jeffbert Gotham 8
ctg Gotham 5
ctg Gotham 7
ctg Gotham 2