Colleen McCullough RIP

Ah, that's sad news indeed. Her Masters of Rome series makes for dense reading that will possibly put most non-Romanophiles off - but it brings that period alive like nothing else I've ever seen. Additionally, she took her research utterly seriously, and added fascinating new historical insights worthy of professional consideration.

Certainly she's left behind quite a legacy!

Loved her Rome books. Picked up First Man at an airport before my first flight from Australia to England and had read it before we landed. I then read the Grass Crown from London to Toronto (via Frankfurt).

Most of what I know about the roman republic comes from Colleen (including the correct way to tie a toga)

Colleen McCollough was a brilliant writer. I read The Thorn Birds but enjoyed her Masters of Rome series best. Will have to re-read it now.

Thorn Birds is best remembered here in America as being the first of the Miniseries format and also one of Richard Chamberlains last. I've always hoped someone would put her Roman Stuff on tv but yes, it is a bit unyielding in its history for Prime Time. OTOH "I, Claudius" is still one of Public TV's real hits, so hope springs eternal.