New Horizons to flyby Pluto this year

NASA have published a new higher resolution photo of the layers of Pluto's atmosphere. See Pluto’s Haze in Bands of Blue. For the techies among you, the report goes on to say...

"Scientists believe the haze is a photochemical smog resulting from the action of sunlight on methane and other molecules in Pluto’s atmosphere, producing a complex mixture of hydrocarbons such as acetylene and ethylene. These hydrocarbons accumulate into small particles, a fraction of a micrometer in size, and scatter sunlight to make the bright blue haze seen in this image.

As they settle down through the atmosphere, the haze particles form numerous intricate, horizontal layers, some extending for hundreds of miles around Pluto. The haze layers extend to altitudes of over 120 miles (200 kilometers)."

This has been a true journey of discovery. Pluto seems the most alien of the objects we've viewed in the solar system.

New Scientist reports on cloud layers on Pluto:
Exclusive photos: Clouds seen on Pluto for first time

This got a large laugh from me... my imagination went into overdrive... I had C.A.T. (a ginger robo-cat with red eyes) skiing on his alloy claws, waving his tail around to steer himself, while the snowflakes gently fell on his fur and heading for 007-like adventures... ahem... I think I ought to tame my imagination...

I love the Star Trek test for a planet quoted in the New Scientist: "You know a planet when you see one out the window."