Constantine S110 Quid Pro Quo

Jesse412

Old Curmudgeon
Chas listening to Blue Öyster Cult! I thought they did a decent job with the seance scene and I wasn't expecting the medium to burn at the end. I really like the casting of Mark Margolis as Felix Faust and hope he's not just a one off villain. I like that they focused more on Chas and that we learned how he's able to survive all the time. Preview for next week looks interesting.

This was quite a good episode. I especially liked:
  • The unexpected twist of the medium bursting into flames and burning to a crisp at the end. (Well, not enjoyed the violence but enjoyed the fresh twist of "How dangerous it is to associate with Constantine" and honestly - have not yet seen a story in which a medium bursts into actual flames. Having their eyes burned out of their sockets, yes, but not the entire person burning up.)
  • Learning more about Chas and how he came to have his amazing ability to come back from the dead.
Looking forward to next week's episode. 3 more episodes and we still haven't got news about a renewal. This is horrid - the storyline and story-telling is really coming together now and Matt Smith *is* John Constantine.

I wouldn't worry about the renewal, because it's not even renewal season. Yet. Constantine has been on Amazon Prime's most watched series list for a LONG time. So what madness would make them to cancel this wonderful series. It's far better than the miserable Dresden Files attempt that they did a few years ago. And that series was God awful.

This isn't and you see it clearly in this episode, where they added Chas's background into the story and gave watchers an explanation to: why he doesn't die like we do? And what a wonderful explanation that was, because if you have read Simon R Green's Nightside you might remember his references to the grand old wizard. You might remember all those weird spells that belonging to Merlin.

So, to me, Constantine's "drunken" spell was awesome. I loved it, as the explanation fits very well in his world. World where other magician are seeking mortal souls. And that is something I cannot understand. What he would do with them? Make an exchange with the devil? Don't know but I know that I'm going to be watching final three episodes of this season with warmth in my heart. Constantine is that good.

Not good. It's great. With capital G.

I wouldn't worry about the renewal, because it's not even renewal season. Yet. Constantine has been on Amazon Prime's most watched series list for a LONG time. So what madness would make them to cancel this wonderful series. It's far better than the miserable Dresden Files attempt that they did a few years ago. And that series was God awful.

The madness called "Nielsen ratings" which depend on live viewership and studio execs who are too entrenched in the old ways of measuring audience reach.

And yeah, the Dresden Files attempt was SO bad. Wrong actor, wrong atmosphere, low production values.

This isn't and you see it clearly in this episode, where they added Chas's background into the story and gave watchers an explanation to: why he doesn't die like we do? And what a wonderful explanation that was, because if you have read Simon R Green's Nightside you might remember his references to the grand old wizard. You might remember all those weird spells that belonging to Merlin.

Yup - just finished the 12th and final Nightside book and Merlin was totally bonkers HAHA!

So, to me, Constantine's "drunken" spell was awesome. I loved it, as the explanation fits very well in his world. World where other magician are seeking mortal souls. And that is something I cannot understand. What he would do with them? Make an exchange with the devil? Don't know but I know that I'm going to be watching final three episodes of this season with warmth in my heart. Constantine is that good.

I found it both hilarious and slightly concerning that Constantine could cast a spell while drunk... and the spell worked. Definitely shades of The Nightside right there.

You won't catch Sam or Dean Winchester doing that! (Though I do love them Winchesters too!)

Not good. It's great. With capital G

Definitely with you there!

So, to me, Constantine's "drunken" spell was awesome. I loved it, as the explanation fits very well in his world.
Yeah I loved seeing the origin of Chas' abilities, and that they are finite. 31 deaths left!! The revelation of it being John's drunken spell-casting which so casually awarded Chas this life-changing gift was pretty much perfect.

World where other magician are seeking mortal souls. And that is something I cannot understand. What he would do with them? Make an exchange with the devil?
I figured he was using them to keep himself powerful/draining their "life force" into his own?

I figured he was using them to keep himself powerful/draining their "life force" into his own?

It's not like Faust is getting any younger or that souls will reverse his baldness. Nor can he cast Merlin's protection spell on himself.

Just watched this and really enjoyed it - this whole focus on the human experience, instead of cheap horror tricks, is exactly what gives the show its strength. And by focusing on Chas and his background, we get a great human story behind the episode - not simply how he got his ability to resurrect, but also how his helping John use that caused him to lose his family.

Especially glad there was no gore in this episode - stronger without it. Though Chas's binding of Faust and using the grenade was a great solution! Didn't John say something about his being a powder keg...? :D