An online radio broadcast -- with Me!

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
I'll be a guest on an online broadcast at the Speculative Fiction Cantina, tomorrow, Friday the 23rd. Here is the link: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/writes...ina-with-teresa-edgerton-and-cris-pasqueralle Where it says 3 pm, it means Pacific Time, rather late for those of you across the ocean, and I know some of you may be frantically writing your last minute 75 Word stories. I don't know how expensive it is to call California from the UK -- that might be a consideration, too. Still, if you can, it would be awesome if some of you could call in and ask questions, and give me moral support that way, because these things always make me anxious. (And it would be amazing and wonderful to hear some of your voices at last. I've got a cold and I'm rather hoarse, so you won't be hearing my real voice; that "pleasure" will have to await you for another time. Anyway, call in if you can!)

If you can't listen in at the time, the show will be archived.

We'll see what we can work out. Do you have any idea what kind of topic(s) you'll be pursuing?

I haven't been told what the host wants to talk about. I was given a long questionnaire to fill out, a couple of months ago, and I suppose he might ask questions about some of that. He asked me to list my three most important books -- and I have no idea what those would be -- so I just settled for three that are available right now, because those are the ones I want to promote: Goblin Moon, The Queen's Necklace, and The Hidden Stars. So perhaps he will ask some questions about GM, TQN and the Rune of Unmaking series. And then there will be the other writer guest. Are we supposed to interact? I do know that I am supposed to read for 5-8 minutes from my own writing.* Then at some point -- perhaps early in the broadcast, perhaps later -- there will the question and answer period. If the other writer has people calling in with questions for him and I don't, I may have very little chance to talk. (So if I can get a few of you to call in ...)

_____
*That's a rather awkward length for an excerpt, and I don't have any short stories at that length I could read. I thought of reading two or three of my 300 word stories, but that would only get me to 3 minutes. So I need to look through those three books and see if I can find a short, exciting scene that would work. And then I'll need to practice it a few times. I should have done that before, but I've been busy editing, and as we know I tend to lose track of time anyway.

Hee. If I called not a one of you would understand me...

Sounds very nervewrecking. What about the start of the story you sent out at Christmas? It had several places you could wrap it up?

I shall try to tune in
Um ... you can't, it's Internet not Radio :D
(It's actually unicast too, not Broadcast technically, but never mind. Unlike broadcast they know exactly IP of who connects, approximate location and duration. Listening to a Broadcast is private.)

11GMT is nothing... wife is watching the Australian Open on German Eurosport (free unlike GB Eurosport) and that goes on till 3AM or 4AM GMT.
We are rarely to sleep before Midnight anyway.

So I will try to remember to connect and listen in. I'm with a bizarre ISP, no real phone line (though I have 2 real numbers and four real phones), so probably it's really cheap for me to call California. Though the pricing document is missing!
http://support.digiweb.ie/questions/3739/How much am i charged for call's made using my Metro phone?
Our bill is about 3 Euro a month and no line rental (as there isn't one).

Are we sure 3 pm Pacific Time is 11GMT? I think New York is about 6 hours behind us?

EDIT found it:
It's 18.19 cent per minute to all USA, landline or Mobile (cents not Euro), so 10 minutes is just under 2 Euros.

EDIT # 2
Now what questions to ask?

EDIT #3
If I called not a one of you would understand me
Really?? maybe Kerrybuchanan would too.

Last edited:
Yes it occurred to me that with some of you -- from Ireland and Scotland, from the far north of England -- I would have fun deciphering your accents. But I assume that Hollywood movies and American television have been sufficiently pervasive that my southern-California accent should be easy to understand.

As to what time it will be, I looked it up and we are -8 GMT, so that would make it 11 pm for those of you in the UK. (New York is 3 hours ahead of us, so it must only be five hours behind you right now, Ray. Except that we don't always switch back and forth between Daylight Time and Standard time on the same weekends that you do, so there probably is a short period when it's 6 hours.)

If I did not dislike my voice I would ask a question. But I am not fond of the idea of you all knowing what I sound like. :speechless:

There's a countdown on the page, it's at 116 min. 46 sec. That's less than 2 hrs. by my calculations so I guess I just better sit here and drink too much coffee, far too much coffee, and cake. I'd phone in but it probably costs about fifty bucks. I could put on the world's worst rubbish Brit accent and mumble, then you could talk about anything you like. *)

I can't call as it's too dear, but I have left a comment on their facebook page which is a question for you, Teresa - if it gets a bit slow, they might pull on it, I thought?

JRiff it says 11pm when I log on.

I am also seeing the time Teresa mentioned when I go to the site. I think that countdown at the very top is just for the next broadcast thing, which is something else. It is in the top bar of the site, which for radio sites is usually where they put 'next upcoming segment' and that sort of thing.