Direct address and terms of endearment.

Nick B

author Nick Bailey, formerly Quellist.
This may be an obvious question, but I am a little confused with direct addresses and terms of endearment and so on.
I understand that a direct address requires a comma, then the name/title will have a capital letter because it is a name. But what happens when it is a term of endearment or friendly gesture? For example:

"There aren't any left love," said Smith.

Should that be "There aren't any left, Love," said Smith.
Or, "There aren't any left, love," said Smith.

Does the term of endearment require a capital? I have assumed it requires the comma before the term, it is mainly the capitalization that is bothering me.

So what about a line such as: "There aren't any left, my friends," said Smith.
I'm guessing that 'my friends' shouldn't be capitalized, so would a term of endearment be caps or not?

Thanks in advance again.

Just following on from that, would you capitalise "milady", as in "I have brought the wine, Milady"?

I agree (rather boringly), but would add that it's the vocative comma.

Lower case M, unless it's an actual first name (which, oddly, seems to be the case for Milady de Winter in The Musketeers).

If it is used as a title though, it should be capitalised shouldn't it?

Milady isn't a title. It's just a shortened version of 'my lady'.

Yes.
Though titles in speech are complicated, but almost always capitalised. The main variations are:
a) Direct address by an inferior
b) Direct address by peer or superior
c) Introducing someone formally
d) Introducing someone informaly
e) Explaining who a 3rd someone not present is.
f) Character thinking the writing of the address. Speech Quotes are optional for thinking.

Debretts explains some of it. But it varies with time and country. For example some common European titles don't exist in UK, or like Viscount introduced late for people abroad, there are variations between Scottish, Irish and English usage even today. I think Wales uses English usage today?

variations
1) the Honorific rank used in direct speech (Your Grace, My Lord etc)
2) Rank of address rather than actual title, thus an Arch Duke or Margrave is a rank of Prince.
3) Form of address on envelope, outside of sealed note.
4) Full Title excluding rank
5) Ceremonial naming, may have rank and Title (His Grace, Arch Duke <***>)
6) Only certain titles in certain situations have location of title appended.

Just following on from that, would you capitalise "milady", as in "I have brought the wine, Milady"?
Probably not, since I wouldn't capitalise it when written in full eg it's "Here is the miscreant, my lady." not "I have your fire-whips ready, My Lady." save, as thad says, if it's actually used as a name.

They are very Modern and Up to Date. There is a Etiquette book by Debretts, but they have their own website. Very useful.
You don't always need a search engine ...
http://www.debretts.com/forms-address
Note that it may not be accurate for Regency, Mediaeval or other countries etc.

I do have an old book on Marriage Etiquette somewhere.

Also you may find the older Anglican Book of Common Prayer a useful resource, not just on titles.

A term of endearment is not a nickname.

If it was then; nicknames would follow the rules of names.

But terms of endearment should not be capitalized.

On the other hand if you are directly addressing a person and use milady it may be considered as being in place of her name and may be capitalized.

"What do you think on that, Milady?"

as opposed to:

"I just spoke to milady about it a moment ago."

I thought this thread was going to be about terms of endearment. I was going to suggest sugar lips.

I thought this thread was going to be about terms of endearment. I was going to suggest sugar lips.

Haha, i havnt heard that one since the eighties :LOL:
No, it was just about my lack of knowledge :speechless: