The Expanse on SyFy *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'General TV Discussion' started by markpud, Jan 21, 2015.

1. REBerg

REBerg Registered Alien

That scene was a horrific surprise to me, especially lingering on the spaced Doris -- already dead, but with her mouth still spasming to breathe until she her body froze.
    OK. The Belters are a hard lot. I get it.

I liked Drummer's summary execution of her enemies -- no due process nonsense for this woman of action. It didn't occur to me that she might be hiding her own complicity. She didn't hesitate to go off with her old boss, Dawes.

Gnrevolution likes this.
  2. Gnrevolution

Gnrevolution Well-Known Member

Well she did take a bullet for Fred, although it's not like she volunteered to do so, but I did wonder if some of the anger was at the possibility that she was 'in essence' on Dawes' side, and therefore the idiots basically shot one their own, albeit unknowingly. Maybe her response was anger towards how Dawes' words had led to her getting shot. I'm just theorising of course, there's no reason to believe this is the case, simply like you said that Dawes' approached her in the previous episode and we don't know what was said...

REBerg and ctg like this.
  3. elvet

elvet Easily amused

Yes, you are right. But I want to get back into the story lines again. Maybe I'll just pick it up at the 3rd book. I haven't bought Babylon's Ashes yet. I want to wait for the trade PB, just because it matches my other books (kinda anal, I know).

4. svalbard

svalbard Well-Known Member

My theory on Drummer(a great character) is that she is on Fred's side and therefore a true believer in Belter independence. Just not the Dawes version. She has history with him. We can see that in her conversation with him and what she has alluded to herself. It might not be a happy history. I think she is devoted to Fred. That is my theory on it. Book readers probably know more.

Gnrevolution likes this.
  5. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

Nope. She is a new character and fitting one, because without her and Dawes angle the Belt operations would look a bit different.

6. elvet

elvet Easily amused

I think Drummer in the TV series is a replacement for the Fred's Engineer on Tycho (in the books) that betrays him and sets up the faction rebellion on the station. I do not trust her.

ctg likes this.
  7. Mr Orange

Mr Orange Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb...

enjoyed ep 8, a bit of a "take a breath and develop things before getting back into the action" kind of episode, which i think was necessary. will be good to see Gunny's storyline develop next ep.

i think Drummer just realised that Fred's justice wasn't enough for her so dispensed belter justice to the two she sees as traitors.

8. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

Well I guess space piracy was in order after Holden's crew were kicked out by Fred Johnson. It surprises me how easy it is to hijack a vessel at deep space. There was no fire exchanged. No flags waves. Just one good old ruse. But the trust master of deception goes to Avesarala.

She likes to win with whatever way possible as it was said in the first season by the late Mars Ambassador. She doesn't care who toes she's going to step upon as long as the business gets done. So it amazes me how Earth Naval Captain can be so ignorant on her agent. Therefore a perfect ruse.

Only the players on opposing side aren't normal nobodies. For a lot of stuff that Mao has done in his black operations the stealth corvettes are awesome and truly terrifying. Thing is they aren't any longer a secret and more times they're used less fearsome they become. Instead they become a nuisance just like the UN undersecretary Erringwright is every time I see him on the screen.

That smug confidence on a diplomatic table isn't right and for Earth's multicultural background it is almost as if doesn't know the meaning for "losing face." Maybe all the struggles we have had with China and other oriental places during over a long history doesn't mean anything to him.

In other words if I would turn this to Game of Thrones, Erringwright isn't Little Finger but Tywin Lannister and that would make Avesarala to be Catelyn Stark. Both hard females, while Erringwrigth cannot see his doom even if it would stand at front of him. Although I suspect he isn't going end his days at a toilet seat. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    The best scene. Personally, if I unwrap my foilhat a bit, this is exactly the thing that has been denied happening at anywhere in our solar system. Yet, the science proves it's possible.

9. REBerg

REBerg Registered Alien

2.09 The Weeping Somnambulist
    Too many unanswered questions remaining after this excursion into Mars-Earth politics.
    Draper was twice ordered to throw her fallen comrade under the bus, but the real instigator in the Battle of Ganymede was the creature she saw. Do her superiors just want to appease Earth, or are they hiding something related to the Protomolecule?
    What sort of life is thriving on Venus at the Eros crash site -- a ProtoMillerMaolecule?
    Then, there's the big question: How does UN Deputy Undersecretary Chrisjen Avasarala keep getting away with the f-bomb on basic cable? Is her accent so difficult to decipher that the censors aren't hearing it? :D

Mr Orange and svalbard like this.
  10. svalbard

svalbard Well-Known Member

You got to admit though that it was a great line.

REBerg likes this.
  11. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

I think her superiors has lost a couple braincells. If you rewatch last episode, you see Julie's father explaining that a first contact and learning from alien technology is somehow crucial to the development of humanity. Those Authorities only seem to think about them and their bank account, because they really don't want to be on basic support.

:LOL:

12. Gnrevolution

I get the feeling that they know more than they are letting on, Bobbie has told them what she saw and they are dismissing it. Yet they are rolling over far to easily to Earth by claiming they started the Ganymede incident. If Mars were the only ones with the stealth tech, and Protogen has been using it, then maybe they had more to do with it than has been established so far.

REBerg likes this.
  13. Gnrevolution

Season 2 Episode 9: The Weeping Somnambulist
    [​IMG]
    The Mars delegation arrives on Earth for peace negotiations

Another solid, if slow burning, episode. It's clear that they are not going to make it to the end of the second book by the end of this season, so where will it end? Will something happen on Venus? Will Holden & Co. come face to face with ol' blue eyes? Will Avasarala drop the c-bomb? Who knows. The interrogation of Bobbie Draper was annoying, although you could see the shell around her starting to crack. Presumably Avasarala will find some way to talk to her in private and get the truth out her.

Really interested in what's going on with Venus, the added complication to the UNS research mission of having to deal with a martian presence (how did they get there before them?) and also the douche of a Captain. I assume that they were looking at the crater created by the impact, but was difficult to tell exactly what it was.

Did think the firefight at the end was a bit lame, the baddies suddenly developed stormtrooper-vision and couldn't seem to hit the backside of a barn, but of course having Holden or Amos die at the hands of effectively nobodies wouldn't play well, so their plot armour obviously saved them.

Mr Orange and REBerg like this.
  14. REBerg

REBerg Registered Alien

That it was. :LOL:

15. Mr Orange

Mr Orange Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb...

agree with @Gnrevolution about the ep being slow-burning, and regarding the firefight. Amos and Holden took no cover whatsoever and cleared out the dudes that were without a bullet coming close.in fact, the whole scene seemed to be there solely to add another layer to the brooding, world on his shoulders look Holden walks around with. Thought Bobbie's trip to earth was really well done but I do hope there's some action next ep.

Gnrevolution and REBerg like this.