Reading the Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett

Shingetsu

Immortalis Canis Lupus
The Warded Man is probably my favorite book in quite awhile. I've had the paperback on my shelf for many years, but with the switch to e-books there are allot I haven't gotten to. But I just finished The Desert Spear last night and some things have been eating away at my brain.

I found Jardir's backstory to be interesting, but nearly 200 pages of it was quite a bit much. In the first book it handled weaving the three main characters stories pretty well, but getting nothing but Jardir's story in the beginning of The Desert Spear didn't feel very well done. Learning more about his culture is nice, but I feel like we could have learned these things as the plot progressed.

Having Arlen wander around delivering messages the entire book seemed like kind of a waste. It's important to get the battle wards to everyone, but it just seems like that should have been a smaller part of his story for this book. While I did want him to reunite with Ragen and Elissa, that seems like something that should be more towards the end of the series.

The only thing Arlen really did was at the end of the book, which was kill one of the coreling princes. I'm not sure about how fast he is gaining abilities and power. It seems like something that should develop over time rather than gaining in one fight.

Then we have Renna. I knew from when we were first reintroduced to her character her sole purpose is how far of a wedge can we make between Arlen and Leesha. In The Warded Man I felt sorry for her and her sisters of course. No one should have to suffer through the monster that was her Dad. But I also felt her story was done or maybe a short chapter later on in the series when Arlen goes back to Tibbet's Brook for a visit.

Renna just feels like a pointless character in The Desert Spear. I really didn't need the coming drama. But of course, now Arlen and Renna are promised at the end of the book. Was anyone else not surprised by this? I really hope her character is killed off.

Leesha was the biggest disappointment in The Desert Spear. In The Warded Man she was probably my favorite character. Now I just wish Bruna was still alive to hit her in the head repeatedly. Her entire thinking in The Desert Spear can be summed up as, "Hey this guy who controls this large army that raped and slaughtered thousands of innocents is handsome. Guess I'll sleep with him."

What happened to Leesha wanting to cure Arlen? Even though she didn't think he needed curing. She sure got over Arlen fast. No fighting for him at all. Not that Arlen was doing any better with his wonderful Renna distraction. It just seems like allot of this relationship drama was unneeded. Though I'll sure be surprised if Arlen and Leesha aren't together at the end of the series.

Rojer seemed to be himself. Though I'm not sure there's been much character progression for him. Maybe two wives will change that.

Overall, The Desert Spear wasn't horrible despite all my issues, it's just allot of things seem to be sticking in my brain. Normally I don't ever read spoilers, but I did read a few reviews for The Daylight War. Mainly in the hopes that someone would say Renna was killed off and Leesha decided to stop acting so stupid. It seems like I'm going to be just as a disappointed with the next book.

Now I don't know if I should read The Daylight War or wait two months for The Skull Throne to come out and see if that improves anything.

I also had trouble with The Desert Spear but stopped during Jardirs section. I will probably get to reading it again as I really enjoyed the first book with all its tension and nice characterisation.

It picks up in the Daylight War. I think the 'problem' with Desert Spear (in quote marks, because I personally enjoyed the dive into the desert side of the story) is that it focussed mainly on helping us understand the other side of the story and the original storyline was somewhat abandoned. But in Daylight War we have both men's stories side by side.

Agree about Leesha though; Bruna would have given her a slapping! :D

(But I confess to having a soft spot for Renna...)

I didnt find Jardirs story boring, just repetitive, a lot seemed to be going in circles and then a male on male rape scene put me off.

Yeah, Peter V. Brett really does take it in a different direction after the first book. It almost seems like he worked on the first book for years planning the series as a trilogy and then when the first book sold well they changed it to a 5 book series. Which left him deciding to add tons of backstory and little room for plot advancement. It also makes me wonder if he decided he didn't need an editor after the first book.

He does like to put rape quite a bit in his series. I suppose he's just not sugar coating what these societies would surely have. Most fantasy series just don't include it at all. Which is fine with me, as it's not exactly something you want to read about.

I'm half way through The Daylight War. Things pretty much continue as they have from the last book so far. Though the Inevera backstory is at least broken up into pieces.

I really liked the first book, didnt mind the second book, wanted to like the third but found it a slog to get through...so much so, that I'm not sure if i will pick up the new one when it's out.

I enjoyed the a first book quite a lot. It was an interesting idea. The second book I churned through in a night (not nessecarily because it was that good, but, cause reasons) and I quite enjoyed it as aswell. I liked the new culture and a different side to what was going on. It's been a few years since I read them, so I don't remember details, but I think I enjoyed it.

The third installment has been sitting on my shelf for a few months now, waiting for an open slot in my list. I think I'm looking forward to reading it, but I think I've started being a bit more critical on books since I've picked up on being critical here and on my own stuff. Kind of part of the job, I suppose.

Does the Desert Spear get better, is it as goog as the first book
The Desert Spear or The Daylight War? Either way your in for pretty much the same book split in two.

I really liked the first book, didnt mind the second book, wanted to like the third but found it a slog to get through...so much so, that I'm not sure if i will pick up the new one when it's out.
I know how you feel. But with it only being a 5 book series I'm determined to finish it, even if I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the first book. Though I really hope he improves things in the next book and the final book, I'm assuming we'll get more of the same.

There is a lot to like about the series overall, and the cast of characters.
My theory is that it was originally meant to be a more action/adventure orientated series, with a less dark tone and less political intrigue. I think brett's vision evolved after he started writing., possibly due to seeing the success of ASOIAF.
Thats just a hypothesis though.

I would like to carry on with the series but got put off by the man on man rape scenes to provide shock effect and to assert the characters power over people. I loved the first book and understand the second is from a different POV but still, why put in scenes like that just to get a reaction out of people instead of moving the plot along? Unless I misunderstood what it was about.

I would like to carry on with the series but got put off by the man on man rape scenes to provide shock effect and to assert the characters power over people. I loved the first book and understand the second is from a different POV but still, why put in scenes like that just to get a reaction out of people instead of moving the plot along? Unless I misunderstood what it was about.
I guess it was to add to the characters of all the people involved. I considered that there were some things like that thrown in there for shock value, but the writing and action moved along well for me enough to overlook it.