The P. G. Wodehouse thread

Alan Aspie

Vodehouse writes quite often "the same story only different". The magic is in characters & voice.

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
Vodehouse writes quite often "the same story only different". The magic is in characters & voice.
Indeed! And hence his preface at the beginning of Summer Lightning:

A certain critic - for such men, I regret to say, do exist - made the nasty remark about my last novel that it contained "all the old Wodehouse characters under different names". He has probably by now been eaten by bears, like children who made mock of the prophet Elisha: but if he still survives he will not be able to make a similar charge against Summer Lightning. With my superior intelligence, I have outgeneralled the man this time bu putting in all the old Wodehouse characters under the same names. Pretty silly it will make him feel, I rather fancy.

Allegra

Just thought our Wodehouse fans would enjoy this funny video, it's made - from lyrics to singing to guitar playing all by my current favourite writer Stephen Clarke who wrote some very entertaining history books and hilarious novels the Merde series.

Ian Fortytwo

Be Idle, be cool, and everything will be okay.
Some of P. G. Wodehouse is brilliant, yet some of his work is embarrassing to read. I must admit that I like quite a lot lot of his stories. And if you want a bit of a laugh they will certainly do that.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
With the sheer volume of Wodehouse's work you can forgive the occasional misstep. And there's nought wrong with reading something for laughter. It's a very difficult thing to do to write with the intent of causing laughter.

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
Some of P. G. Wodehouse is brilliant, yet some of his work is embarrassing to read. I must admit that I like quite a lot lot of his stories. And if you want a bit of a laugh they will certainly do that.
Well, horses for courses, but personally I've never found a single sentence of Wodehouse embarrassing to read - its all a delight for me.

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
I realise that since posting that I was reading Mulliner Nights, on the previous page of the thread, I've not mentioned here the Wodehouse's I have read since. Most remiss.

To set that straight, I've since read (and enjoyed them all): The Luck of the Bodkins, Jeeves in the Offing and Pigs Have Wings. Some time soon, perhaps after a couple more books, I shall draw up a personal ranking list of Wodehouse books.