Contemporary authors?

jawnn

I am looking for newish writers that have some audio books. and that are not writing violence for entertainment.

Seems like the newest thing in SF is or was the cycber world turning to AI singularity. Are any that go beyond that depressing scenario?

I would really like to read about a world that has learned to live with it's self. one that stopped pollution etc. Dream on, well yes I am actually trying to write about some future like that.

looks hopeless to me.

I liked Catherrine Asaro's books. even if a bit too much action.

Last edited:
So why don't you tell me in detail why my assertions about the newest thing in SF etc. are wrong. And keep in mind that I don't care about how bad it is really going to get. I want to visualize a a world in the year 2525.

I can't tell you about the story that I already have going. Maybe I could direct you to my art blog? Are links allowed?

My story was inspired by Midworld by Alan Dean Foster and other books. But most importantly I live in a forest.

Well this movie is what it is really going to be like: THX 1138 ! But with every one part of a singularity. With nanobots bot in you brain.

yes I have read all the Ursala k. Leguin SF books years ago. I am about to read Ecotopia by
Ernest Callenbach.

Last edited:
Well:
"Seems like the newest thing in SF is or was the cycber world turning to AI singularity. Are any that go beyond that depressing scenario?"
is wrong simply because lots (probably the majority) of contemporary SF has nothing at all to do with that particular scenario. In fact I don't think I have read anything recently (and I read a lot) that covers that plot (I have seen The Matrix.) Could you give us some examples?

SF is rich and diverse and you should be able to find plenty of material whilst avoiding the subjects that you do not like.

By all means link to your blog. If you like Callenbach et al have you looked at the non-fiction books by Lloyd Kahn or John Seymour?

I have been making picture of living tree houses for years. so my story must work around the pictures.
nhojyesdnil.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/living-tree-houses-2/

The Singularity Is Near by Ray Kurzweil was interesting, he says that it is impossible to predict the future after the machine mind awakens. That is why people don't write about it. But I am doing it any how. this is for children and their adults.

I don't know if it's the newest thing but it's definitely a big recent thing. Practically everything Vernor Vinge, Charles Stross, and that Hannu Rajaienimie guy, has written since the 90s - along with at least a bit of Docotorow - deals with it and that only starts the list. Even people who don't deal with it have to explain why they don't. For instance, Banks has to explain how he's not quite writing post-singularity fiction. And there are anthologies devoted to it and even some that go Beyond Singularity. And saying that it's wrong to call something a "new thing" because it's not "the majority" is not relevant. All movements are initially minorities and most stay that way but it doesn't mean that they form a distinct and focused identity and may even have a plurality (heh, ironic) if not an outright majority.

That said, I don't find it a particularly fruitful movement and I've long since tired of most of it but I don't think it's accurate to try to dismiss it as an existent and influential movement.

And why keep pointing him to older authors such as Simak and Vance? He's asking for "contemporary" authors.

Neal Asher has ultra-powerful AIs but also ducks the "Singularity". He's violently entertaining, though. John Barnes, Stephen Baxter, Jack Campbell (military SF, but the opposite of bloodthirsty), Jack McDevitt, Allen Steele, and Brad R. Torgersen are some not entirely old authors who never or rarely introduce Singularity/Posthuman elements into their work. I have no idea if they have audiobooks, though.

I found one of jack mcDivitt's The Engines of God and a few more that the library will need to get.

every one of Jack Campell's books are covered with warriors. I found only one of Stephen Baxter, with Clarke in audio book, I think I will need an ebook reader.

Looks like Stephen Baxter wrote a dr who story.

I would have to add my voice to asking for more explanation here since::
Are you looking for books or audio?
Have you tried some of the older authors, such as clifford Simak, Zenna Henderson, Ursula Le Guin, Ray Bradbury?

Your assertions about the newest thing in SF etc. are wrong.

Pastoral SF
http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/pastoral
::within this article cited the closest it reaches to now in its examples is from 1990 so what has occurred that this 2012 article could not or would not cite something contemporary which is getting back to the OP's quest for this type of fiction?

I did read the House of Iszm, and took the intro for my story, a bit changed.

Baxster's books look like the best. I listen to audio books most of the time because I read too slowly and my eyes get tired. too bad they do not make more of them.

I have been reading Ecotopia and it is not a great story but it is a good manifesto for changing the capitalist world we live in. it has sold over a million copys over 40 years, wow.

Back