Reading Plans for 2015

Fried Egg

Anyone have any plans/goals for this year's reading?

I have had for the last few years but this year I'm not going to set myself any. I just want to read purely for pleasure and what ever else takes my fancy. My reading rate has been declining the last few years and I put it down, at least in part, to forcing to myself to read books I don't particularly want to read. So this year I'm going to take a break and see what happens.

What about the rest of you?

Well, I've got a small mountain of books waiting to be read. I also hope to get into Douglas Hulick's second book and to finally read Words of Radiance (I meant to read it last year but lacked the time and had a lot of other reading to do).

While I have no hard target number set, I want to finally catch up on some things I've set aside for some time. These include finishing Wheel of Time (last three books), read Dance with Dragons (currently) and generally increase the amount of time reading this year.

I started reading Wheel of Time in uni (1990). I kept up with the series until Jordan passed, after that my interest waned, but it's time to finally see how it all ends.

Anyone have any plans/goals for this year's reading?

I have had for the last few years but this year I'm not going to set myself any. I just want to read purely for pleasure and what ever else takes my fancy. My reading rate has been declining the last few years and I put it down, at least in part, to forcing to myself to read books I don't particularly want to read. So this year I'm going to take a break and see what happens.

What about the rest of you?

Sort of a plan: Get to the things I've meant to read the last few years and haven't. That's a pretty broad plan, I guess. Anyway, right now that includes,

Night Film by Marisha Pessl
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Little Big by John Crowley
The White Devil by Justin Evans
Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes
not sure what by Adam Nevill -- I was impressed by The Ritual and ended up buying several books by him
Then there are the story collections by Sarah Monette, Holly Phillips, Nnedi Okorafor, Theodora Goss, Elizabeth Bear ...

As part of the plan I just started Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger.

Randy M.

I spent much of 2013 reading WOT to completion! Then I re-read 6 Robin Hobb books last year so that took a big chunk out of the year. This year, I want to stay away from re-reads and get some books in my pile done. I have around 10-12 that need to be read so I will start with those, although I have books coming all the time. I think the new Sanderson is at my house right now, waiting for me to come home.

1. Read several dozen of the books on my shelf that remain unread;
2. Re-read LOTR and the Silmarillion;
3. Read another 10-12 Simak books;
4. Read more Balzac
5. Read a few more books by Chrons authors

1) Finish The Gunslinger series by Steven King: My next book is book 3.

2) Tackle my stack of TBR that is 30 or so strong.

3) Read into the history of the Baltic.

I rarely have any reading goals but this year I intend to finish reading everything in my TBR pile before I buy anymore new books.

Yes. And watch me renegade on the "before I buy anymore new books" statement before too long... :p

I may have a sort of plan,but it always goes awry.
My sister lent me Lamentation by CJ Sansom just before Christmas,so everything else had to wait.
I have loved the series about Matthew Shardlake.Unfortunately Chris (Sansom) is ill at the moment.
I'd like to send my best wishes to him.
Now I am rereading Fool's Assassin.I read it so quickly last year when I got it.
This time I am savouring every word.
Then I'm on to Scott Lynch for a while.

Last year I had a definite goal to read classics I've never read. Even after many books, I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what is out there. This year I don't have specific goals, though I own about 10 or 12 books I haven't yet read. I also want to read more of Clarke and Asimov, some of my latest favorites.

I feel the same as you FE, i was so busy last year that i had the worst reading year in my adult life. I read less than 30 books which was more depressing, made me sad because i had a reading challenge,plan as usual with Goodreads. When i had a regular year i could easily read 80-100 books.

So no reading challenge this year, just find time to actual read more. My only goal is to read 10 books by a single fav author. A prolic one like Vance it is.

I'm doing a bit of re-reading this year, particularly:
Harry Potter (just finished Azkaban)
GRRM and A Song of Ice and Fire (currently in GoT)

I also want to knock out a few recommendations, the first of which is something I've wanted to tackle for years and the other two more recently from a sibling:
Shogun - Clavell
Ready Player One - Cline
The Martian - Weir

Lastly, I plan to pick up John Connolly's Parker series, which is a truly dark and slightly supernatural detective noir series that I find oddly compelling (he's Irish and its shot through with all kinds of Catholic/religious mysticism that appeals to me).

I'm doing a bit of re-reading this year, particularly:
Harry Potter (just finished Azkaban)
GRRM and A Song of Ice and Fire (currently in GoT)

I also want to knock out a few recommendations, the first of which is something I've wanted to tackle for years and the other two more recently from a sibling:
Shogun - Clavell
Ready Player One - Cline
The Martian - Weir

Lastly, I plan to pick up John Connolly's Parker series, which is a truly dark and slightly supernatural detective noir series that I find oddly compelling (he's Irish and its shot through with all kinds of Catholic/religious mysticism that appeals to me).

I've read and really enjoyed Shogun and I've read the the Parker series which are very well written.I couldn't get on with the sequel to Shogun,Taipan,I just didn't enjoy it the same way.

Besides all the books in my to-read list, and the releases I'm looking forward to (Scott Lynch, Jim Butcher etc etc), I'm thinking of tackling the Malazan series, simply because I'm going to World Fantasy in November and Steven Erikson is a GoH.